Best tires for Hayabusa

As evidence, I was able to get almost 20,000 miles out of PR3s on my FJR1300 but also knew of many FJR1300 riders who could barely manage 5,000 miles.

Could you post a picture of the tire. i think we would definitely like to see how the PR3's looked after 20K miles on them in term of wear patterns etc.

Hi guys, I hope this upload works. I ride a 99 on a 70 mile round trip daily (weekday) SF-Bay area commute.

I've had PR3 for several months. This picture is from the front. It's getting pretty close to being done.

Interesting to me is the center still has tread (the harder compound) but the next third has worn away the "sipes" (the crosscut tiny grooves that the PR3s added (from the PR2) to channel water).

I can't complain about the wet weather performance (I do ride every weekday - all 12 months - independent of weather). But the tire does not roll today as smooth as the day it was new when I travel a couple times the legal limit. My speculation is that the transition zone from harder to softer compound coupled with the tiny crosscut sipes causes a slight scallop (the pic shows it if you really look) - tough to avoid.

Very subjectively I prefer the PR2s on the front. Not sure if I can still get a PR2 for the front. On the rear the PR3s sipes are much fewer and hence I don't think will cause the same asymetry - again subjective.

I'd love to hear from the factory guys since they really should have run these things thought hundreds of HALT runs.

John - "keepin the sipes down!"

Could you post a picture of the tire. i think we would definitely like to see how the PR3's looked after 20K miles on them in term of wear patterns etc.

I removed those tires from my 2006 FJR1300 in early 2012 so I don't have any photos of the tires when they were removed. Sorry.

SHINKO tires have to be the BEST tires ever made, EVER!!...:rofl:

Personally, I was in love with my Metzeler M5's. They stuck awesome to the ground, I always rode pretty hard, so I typically got maybe 3500 miles out of them.

Second Choice... Pirelli Angels. They are a good all around tire. I got a rear for free from a buddy of mine, but I never had a NEW set on my bike. So I can't say how they perform as a total set up. But with an M5 in the front, I loved it.

I have had so many different Brands on mine....In my case i need MAX corner grip...the Dunlop Q2's rocked for me...but don't last too long.
Shinko's tried to kill me in a turn once.. great for the Drag's....never again.
2 track day's on the Q2's....awesome.. now i have Q3's but have not been on a track with them....trying to take it easy on acceleration..so they may last abit...in the curves they stick very very well......totally trustworthy...with the new carbon fiber in the side wall's....= zero flex.....or so.
Just roll into a curve...very nice feed back through bars and seat....
I'm 62 1/2....

Hi Nobody talks about the speed rate of those tires. Some tires may stick very well, but could come apart at hi speed !!
I have a Michelin Pilot "RADIAL" and I can not find a Michelin that is name "RADIAL". And why call it RADIAL when all the BUSA tires are RADIAL ?
Robert

Have been on Michelins since 2008,Power Ones until they discontinued them and now getting ready to put on my 2nd set of Power Supersports with a 200/55 rear this time(great grip and 5,000 miles to the wear bars on the rear,front still has a bunch of tread left but I always replace both).

GoProExternalMic1-11-2015003_zps85bb8034.jpg

bro in law just got a set of Pilot Road 4's to his 12' Busa...he can't get a chance to do a decent run on the bike due to needing it to commute to work so I nipped to his work on my Busa and nicked his for an hour to bed in his tyres.
Very impressed...mucky,dusty and a mixed of dry and damp roads and apart from a section of mud strewn on the road they were great.
Nice steady turn in and lean with good balance front and rear....his suspension will likely need a little tweak as the tyres do kick up on small high speed bumps a little more than the stock BT015's.
Lean angles are very easy and I reckon the bike will touch the pegs before the tyre edges get reached.

I've Pilot Road 3's on one of my other bikes and the 4's are more flickable...that can make the bike feel nervous but theres nothing to fear.

Hi all,

I would like to share a very bad experience with Continental Attack 2 tires with a strong advise to all of you not to ever think about installing it in your bike.

I had 2 similar incidents with the Continental Attack 2 tires, when i was taking my Busa 2011 on a high way on almost 250 km/h and suddenly a find the grips shaking hard so i left the throttle, till it stopped to check what was wrong to discover that the front Tyre was warned and a piece of 30 cm of Tyre rubber was taken away (image attached), knowing that i have used those set of tires only for about 1000 mile.
after that, i changed the front Tyre with another Continental Attack 2 that i had before and was running for almost 3000 mile, i toke my girlfriend in a ride, and while running on 180 km/h, suddenly the tyre went down out of air, i was about to fall off the bike me and my girlfriend, but some how i manged the bike till it stopped, and while checking the tyre, i found the same thing that happened to me with the priovious tyre happened again, a big chunk of the tyre rubber went away and the tyre lost all the air pressure inside and went totally flat.

I really can't believe that this happened twice with me, the same tyre, the same brand and the same incident.

So, my advise to you all is never use the Continental tires on your bikes.

Ride Safe

Ahmed Yousry

2014-11-07 16.13.17.jpg

scary to get a blister like that on a front tyre...what have continental had to say about it?

When i contacted them to submit a complaint all what they offered is to send me a new tyre instead, and the were disparate to get those worn tires that i had, i refused there offer as i will not ride again with a Continental tyre installed in my bike.

Hi all,

I would like to share a very bad experience with Continental Attack 2 tires with a strong advise to all of you not to ever think about installing it in your bike.

I had 2 similar incidents with the Continental Attack 2 tires, when i was taking my Busa 2011 on a high way on almost 250 km/h and suddenly a find the grips shaking hard so i left the throttle, till it stopped to check what was wrong to discover that the front Tyre was warned and a piece of 30 cm of Tyre rubber was taken away (image attached), knowing that i have used those set of tires only for about 1000 mile.
after that, i changed the front Tyre with another Continental Attack 2 that i had before and was running for almost 3000 mile, i toke my girlfriend in a ride, and while running on 180 km/h, suddenly the tyre went down out of air, i was about to fall off the bike me and my girlfriend, but some how i manged the bike till it stopped, and while checking the tyre, i found the same thing that happened to me with the priovious tyre happened again, a big chunk of the tyre rubber went away and the tyre lost all the air pressure inside and went totally flat.

I really can't believe that this happened twice with me, the same tyre, the same brand and the same incident.

So, my advise to you all is never use the Continental tires on your bikes.

Ride Safe

Ahmed Yousry

Wow!!!! ???

Thanks for sharing!

Glad you managed to keep the bike in shape both times. :)

Running Michelin PR3's , tremendous rain tire, all the grip I'll ever need, and I'm suppose to get 15K out of them. I've only had them on for a couple thousand miles or so. Another individual is on his third set and claims 15K.

I second the Pilot Road 3's. I like the way they handle and they are showing no noticeable wear after 2K.

Michelin Pilot Road 4s work quite nicely thanks. Yes I prefer my Michelins but after running Pilot Road 2 and 3 primarily on a previous smaller bike. On the Busa I've thrashed the OEM BT015s in about 3000 miles, same for the S20 set that followed. The PR4s have now done around 3500 miles and will easily double this before they get chucked off. I'd admit that step from PR3 to PR4 is incremental only.

So given the "grip vs. longevity" trade-off; what kind of miles (normal/average riding) can be expected from the Dunlop Q3's? And how about Michelin PP3's?

Also, I'm open to suggestions to a tire with good grip and capable of at least 6000 miles.

Another what tire should I buy question....:hide:

But seriously which one? :thumbsup:

I don't care about longevity, only grip. Unfortunately I don't ride a ton...

Thanks!

I ended up with Q3's and I love them. Leaps and bounds better feeling than the BT015s that I took off. I've only got about 300 miles of light-duty riding on them so far, but traction at all angles is excellent. The price on them was impressive too.

Back