Busa vs. ZX-14

Yep, I was checking out the new, black ZX-14 (not in person), and then looked at my '05 Busa, and thought I already have a great Superbike.

I saw a couple of Zx14s in person today at the Long Beach International Motorcycle show. I still don't like the look. Oh, and the new 2013 yellow busa looks a lot better in person than in the photos, though I still think yellow was a poor choice of colors. Anyway, with regard to the video, you need to remember that the ZX has 100cc's on the Busa so I would expect it to be slightly quicker.

I saw a couple of Zx14s in person today at the Long Beach International Motorcycle show. I still don't like the look. Oh, and the new 2013 yellow busa looks a lot better in person than in the photos, though I still think yellow was a poor choice of colors. Anyway, with regard to the video, you need to remember that the ZX has 100cc's on the Busa so I would expect it to be slightly quicker.

Looked at those 14's also,didn't do a thing for me either(and couldn't even force myself to sit on one:laugh:).

Yeah you figure the way everybody raves and gushes about the ZX-14 that it would have blew the busa out of the water which clearly wasnt the case. A few mods or tweaks to the busa and your right on par with the big bad 14 :whistle:

Summary: The zx14 is easier to throw a leg over and run fast times, Busa needs more skill to ride well.

Had the opportunity of swapping my busa for a ride with my mate who has the zx1400... And yes it's good. But a few reflections might push you to either bike.

First up I was taken by the smoothness of the kwaka. Really impressive. Same with the brakes, first rate, maybe a bit too sensitive for a rider used to the Busa. Found the power impressed... But I wasn't game to go to the redline, after 7k it does take off like a demon, on reflection it might feel a bit too savage. The Busa is more progressive although let's be honest it's less Hp on paper.

Did not enjoy the very upright seating position of the kwaka. Felt okay in terms of wind protection but just not "cool" sitting so upright. Seat was very good. I dare guess better for the long ride, and the Busa is good so the kwaka I'd rate as real good.

My Busa has only a 4-1 akrapovic system on it. No fuel remapping or ecu flashing. We decided to do some roll on comparisons when back on our own bikes. No contest for top gear roll ons. At 70, 100, 130 km/hr the Busa was ahead for the first 50 km/hr. Once over 200 the kwaka was definitely quicker. Third gear 5k revs roll on was a different story again with the kwaka dominating. However to say the kwaka went to the scary level was an understatement, don't think my mate will say he was expecting the front wheel up in fourth... At least he can retune his electronics to help avoid this, but then it will feel intrusive I'm sure.

So was impressed by the kwaka. Yes. Was I impressed by the Busa, yes, but it's showing it's design age. The handling of the kwaka felt good, but I do think the Busa went round corners faster if they were slower more demanding turns and this is based on my mate being a faster rider than me normally but me leaving him on the tight stuff. He certainly outruns me on the faster corners though.

I'd go the Busa if choosing... It might be the hump.

TonyTripleA

That's actually a pretty cool video and it was nice to see one that was finally unbiased. Not that it matters at all, but they used a 2011 Hayabusa, but called it a 2012.

That's actually a pretty cool video and it was nice to see one that was finally unbiased. Not that it matters at all, but they used a 2011 Hayabusa, but called it a 2012.

Great catch on the 2011 Busa, but you're right--they haven't done anything except change the colors. I actually like the look of the 2013 ZX-14R, in black.

Kawasaki ZX14R 2013.JPG

Did not enjoy the very upright seating position of the kwaka. Felt okay in terms of wind protection but just not "cool" sitting so upright. Seat was very good. I dare guess better for the long ride, and the Busa is good so the kwaka I'd rate as real good.

Thanks for the comparison--I found your description of the riding position most interesting. I'll have to check one out at the dealership.

Thanks for the comparison--I found your description of the riding position most interesting. I'll have to check one out at the dealership.

you know what i kind a agree with him, it is our personal preference but i like to lean more forward when i ride a sport bike and with busa vs. zx14 i prefer the busa's otherwise i go buy me a touring bike..
i bought a used zx12r once and it had helibars on it and it just felt weird, the moment i got home i changed back to factory..:laugh:

my impression of the Zx-14 was that, much more than the busa, it REALLY feels like as big a bike as it is...keep in mind that I haven't ridden one on the street, just saddled it and leaned it back and forth a bit...I used to think the busa was a fat heavy bike, but the ZX I sat on made the busa look like a 600 imo.

People ask me all the time about the differences between the 14R and a Busa. My answer is always the same. "The 14R does most everything just a little bit better except for the brakes. It brakes way better."

The difference in performance certainly isn't enough to justify the extra money it would take for a current Busa owner to trade up to the 14R. I say that after having traded just that way, but my situation was quite different than most.

Honestly, it wouldn't take much for the Busa to get back on top. Just some investment by Suzuki, which may not be possible at the moment.

Honestly, it wouldn't take much for the Busa to get back on top. Just some investment by Suzuki, which may not be possible at the moment.

I don't see why it's so hard for them to upgrade to a 1441, the Busa is Suzukis flagship bike and they still sell well. They would most certainly get a return on the investment by upgrading the power

Back