Removing front turn signal lenses...help!

piratediverjefff

Registered
Well,this is a fine mess i've gotten myself into.:laugh::banghead:

All i want to do is remove the front lenses to tint from the inside,and now i'm stuck!After removing the panels,windscreen,and the screw from underneath(front screw holding the signal housing)along with the one from the top(under the panels)i still can't get them out.Anybody know if there's a 3rd screw(or something)still holding the damned things in there?And,if i eventually get them out,will the lense come loose from the housing or is it glued together?Man,what a can of worms just to get the lenses off,hope one of you guys can get me squared away...before i get my shootin' iron out and start blastin'!:laugh:Will include a few pictures of the mess i've made so far,those of you who've done it will recognize where my problem lies(besides my feeling like an inept knucklehead:thumbsup:).

(and then i have to get it back together...kromdom,where are ya buddy?!:laugh:)

Thanks bros,
Jeff

...was all of this really necessary?
turnsignals004.jpg

...i have this screw out from the inside under the panels,along with the one from underneath from the front.
turnsignals003.jpg

turnsignals005.jpg

Well,this is a fine mess i've gotten myself into.:laugh::banghead:

All i want to do is remove the front lenses to tint from the inside,and now i'm stuck!After removing the panels,windscreen,and the screw from underneath(front screw holding the signal housing)along with the one from the top(under the panels)i still can't get them out.Anybody know if there's a 3rd screw(or something)still holding the damned things in there?And,if i eventually get them out,will the lense come loose from the housing or is it glued together?Man,what a can of worms just to get the lenses off,hope one of you guys can get me squared away...before i get my shootin' iron out and start blastin'!:laugh:Will include a few pictures of the mess i've made so far,those of you who've done it will recognize where my problem lies(besides my feeling like an inept knucklehead:thumbsup:).

(and then i have to get it back together...kromdom,where are ya buddy?!:laugh:)

Thanks bros,
Jeff

...was all of this really necessary?
turnsignals004.jpg

...i have this screw out from the inside under the panels,along with the one from underneath from the front.
turnsignals003.jpg

turnsignals005.jpg

Update!I just wiggled the right one out,and definitely appears to be glued together!Will a hair dryer get it hot enough to pull apart?Once i finish tinting,just a bead of silicone to stick it back together?

Guess now i'll tackle the left side...hope i don't have to unplug too much of the harness!

p. 614 of the service manual, pic below...see the TAB to the right if item #2????

front signal light.jpg

tab on light.jpg

p. 614 of the service manual, pic below...see the TAB to the right if item #2????

Howdy krom,

Thanks bro...but i beat ya to it and managed to wiggle 'em both out a few minutes ago.:thumbsup:That left one was a real fight though,had to unplug all those harness connectors and after every cuss word i could think of(and a few new ones i invented)i managed to get it out.:laugh:

Gettin' it all back together may be another story...will keep you posted(i have tomorrow off so will have all day/weekend to fight with it!).:laugh:

I know some bake the headlamp assembly to soften the adhesive. Haven't read about anyone doing it on the turn signal pods. Since I'm a redneck, I'd probably remove the bulb socket and spray through the opening :whistle:

I know some bake the headlamp assembly to soften the adhesive. Haven't read about anyone doing it on the turn signal pods. Since I'm a redneck, I'd probably remove the bulb socket and spray through the opening :whistle:

...i must be a redneck too pops,'cause that's exactly what i did last night.:laugh::thumbsup:

(attempted reassembly later this morning,wish me luck:laugh:)

Thanks bro,
Jeff

And since I'm lazy I'd leave the blinkers alone completely and ride instead :laugh:

the look on your dog's face is priceless......almost like he's sayin: Yo boss, how about that bone you promised me earlier :please:

Thanks bro.:thumbsup:

I don't know if i'll ever get another hair dryer(maybe if i come across an extra $20,000 for an RCC Super Ultra kit,motor build,McINTOSH arm,etc.,etc.,etc....which i don't foresee any time in the near future,unless you want to adopt me and put me on a sizable allowance:laugh:),if anything maybe a 1441 to pep it up a bit.:thumbsup:

Just found some pics from when i brought it home,have to do a before and after(as of today)layout.:laugh:

newbike018.jpg

newbike020.jpg

newbike019.jpg

newbike001.jpg

newbike003-1.jpg

newbike005.jpg

I'm only into about $2,000 in upgrades so far,have to say i see a definite improvement .:thumbsup:

Gonna head out right now(7:52 AM here)and disturb a little peace,catch ya later buddy.:laugh:

Thanks bro.:thumbsup:

(i don't think there's ever been an uglier rear end view of a bike than a Gen II with that stock exhaust,that's a double bagger for sure:laugh:)

Back