Wheel weights fell off

weeesss

Registered
I had a new set of tires put on about 1,500 miles ago. I rode home from work yesterday and noticed the rear wheel weights had fallen off. The only thing left is the white tape that held them on. I did not notice any handling problems and she was running great at 75+.

Aside from it being only 40 this early AM, should I bring it back to the dealer before riding? I don't want the hassle of an appointment and then getting charged for balancing.

if you can afford to do so, do not ride the bike. then give the dealer a call first and see what they have to say. (do they have some kind of warranty?)

if you are not having any problems then leave it alone, all the wheel weights are there for is to stop vibration, I work for goodyear and almost all the guys I work with ride and we never put wheel weights on when we mount tires and never have any vibrations,that is all the weight is there for,I drag race and never balance wheels

rear wheel weights missing only give vibes above 100mph and then it would need to be well out so not that critical if you cant feel anything.

the front is the important one's

if you think about it the chain and sprockets ain't balanced either !! so its no biggie

hth

Had on fall off my Interceptor while I was on a trip to the dragon about 3 weeks ago. I was wondering-has anyone ever tried those Dyna Beads? I was wondering if it was worth a try???

If it doesn't vibrate too bad, if it's not a couple hundred miles, ride it back over to the dealer and ask them to put them back on. Not secured properly is their fault and they should be willing to fix it without issue. If not I'd find another shop to do my work.

I did not feel anything different doing 75, so I am guessing I will be good until I can get to the dealer. I just want to take advantage of the rest of the season!

Had on fall off my Interceptor while I was on a trip to the dragon about 3 weeks ago. I was wondering-has anyone ever tried those Dyna Beads? I was wondering if it was worth a try???

I personally swear by dyna beads...

Even had a bet with a mechanic who didnt believe they worked... I let him pull my tire, put it on the electronic balancer... He spun the tire up and got a nice double zero.... Perfect balance..

Got myself a free lunch that day!

have they always used those sticky pads for weights or is this something new, because i dont remember it a few years ago?

[/I] was told cycle cleaners, like S-100 tend to breakdown the sticky stuff holding the wheel weights on, Ive had a few come off last couple years [/I]

In this case it's most likely not missing any wheel weights. The sticky white tape was left when they removed the weights when removing the old tire.

When removing existing sticky weights from the wheel the tape almost never comes off the wheel. The weight tears the paper leaving the white residual you see stuck to the wheel and the other half remains stuck to the weight. I have yet to see a tire shop take the time and effort to do the "Goo Be Gone" trick to remove the old residue. It does take some time and effort to rub that stuff off.

I'd put my money on the fact that the OP never noticed the white residue when he left the shop and once spotted, he simply assumed the weight fell off.

I've lost a few weights along the way and they always come of clean. The glue simply releases from the rim with no visual effects remaining.

Run the big heifer up to a buck fifty and if there is no vibration, the wheel is fine!

Had this very same thing happen to me on my front. Did'nt feel any vibrations of sort at speeds, but it sure did wear out the tire. Believe it was referred to as "scalping".. Tire is cupping on both sides right and left of center every 3 or 4 inches or so. Never changed my own tires due to the balancing required; but think I will give it a shot now knowing about these here dynabeads. Not to mention the stick ons are a pain in the arse when cleaning the rims.
Good stuff... thankyou.

Back