Target fixation on the track

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
This was one of the many crashes Saturday at Shenandoah.

The Gopro rider (the one filming) went exactly where he was looking, if he hugged the inside of that apex he would have been through.

Gonna have to get back to Shenny soon to teach that track some respect.:laugh:

OUCH! Looks like you braked in the turn? What happened? That had to hurt. How's bike?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Gotcha! Glad to hear! Looks like brake in turn!

It can be very hard to look away, natural reaction is to watch. I successfully did this at my last track day. Its hard, but you just have to look away and keep on riding.

Gotcha! Glad to hear! Looks like brake in turn!

Don't think he lost traction from braking. When you hang off the bike like that your right foot is too far away from the brake and you stay away from the front brake. Must have been throttle control.

Definately. Its hard if you are following another bike (line) if you are riding your ride (line) its easier.

Tapping front brake would have stood the bike up an momentum of rear would come around and generally cause in effect is rider grabbing front brake...causing flip.

Don't think he lost traction from braking. When you hang off the bike like that your right foot is too far away from the brake and you stay away from the front brake. Must have been throttle control.

Possibly to much throttle make rear spin around...then grabbing break...but seems rider had bike standing in turn before all happens?

That was a nice drift! I thought he was gonna save it! Could've just been the slow motion though:laugh:

Gave her too much gas while leaned over too really hard and lost the rear...

The guy who crashed was Hector. Spoke with him yesterday, he is fine but the bike is a mess. Says he has no idea what happened.

It looks a little hard to tell, but I think can see just a hint of spark coming off the peg just before the rear tire broke loose. From my very limited experience, it looks like his butt is more on the seat than off, maybe he drug hard part and it was just enough for his rear tire to lose traction. That is all she wrote.

I don't think the gopro guy did so bad. He stayed off the bike and more importantly the rider, and managed to stay rubberside down. Yes he could have done better but considering his position, not bad.

Pause it @ 8 seconds in and look at the rubber he was laying down. A little early to be adding that much throttle when the turn exit that would have opened up and allowed to run out the line he was holding, wasn't there yet.

Who knows, maybe more tire grip would have fixed the situation. His tires wasn't giving the viewer any feedback that i could feel. :D

Funny, i watched Ben Spies in Assen on a corner very similar . He yanked the throttle open and the engine didn't even change pitch for a ways . Traction control was a bit much on --- controlling .

For a rear tire to cut loose like that he may have had an oil or water leak, I can't tell if the bike had a belly pan or not. His rear tire have over heated and gotten greasy, some tracks require a harder compound, for example Robling Road in Savanna Georgia, and Daytona soft compound tires are a huge NoNo there. Another factor could be, we're the tires cold? Or old? Or street compound? Also the guy in front of him who took the same line may have been leaking oil or water? There are several ways to try and save it when the rear slides out, one is stand up on the pegs, get your ass off the seat and let the bike come back in line under you. If you chop the throttle like this guy did expect a high side like he got, been there done that. I've also held the throttle open and the bike will just lay down and slide away, been there done that ( daytona exiting the chicane) I've also gently eased off a hair and lifted my butt off the seat and saved it. I've raced CCS for 20 years, had an AMA Pro license, won a few CCS championships, loved racing in the rain and I am a guest instructor for the Penguin Race School, I also teach cops how to ride a Police Bikes. So have a little experience to back my advice

Back