? for you guys with ram air seals....

mestona

Registered
Do the seals connect the air box to the plastic ram air tubes or do they just link up to the frame? Thanks.

Tubes go into the frame and seals attach to the airbox sealing around the frame, airbox/tubes don't touch...

It's a big job on a Gen-II so make sure you have plenty of time set aside to accomplish it. Also, make sure you take out the tubes and seal them VERY GOOD. The have all kinds of holes and leaks in them from factory assembly... :beerchug:

On my gen 1 I used vinyl sheets (weather striping) to make a flat rubber tube which I epoxied to the outside of the plastic ram air tubes and I taped to the airbox. It made for a straight transition (it was a pain to take the airbox on and off, but it made a noticeable difference). I did it by cutting the sheet into a large rectangle and rolling it until the ends touched then I epoxied along the seam and to the tubes. I looked like this when done:

Airbox =::::== ram air tube (dots are vinyl)

This made for a solid connection that didn't involve the frame (I believe the step down to the frame is the biggest source of leakage).

If the aftermarket seals don't connect the the airbox to the tubes (just to the frame?) then I may as well repeat what I did on my gen 1 because it seems more effective to me.

what exactly does this accomplish, still on the learning curve here:thumbsup:

Allows more air and pressure into the airbox at high speed. Basically it makes things airtight between the outer opening of the ram air tubes all the way into the airbox. Ram air effect cannot be measured on a dyno either. Some of the land speed racers here will tell you that it does make a difference on high speed runs, and it should. You won't notice anything under normal riding though. Got-Busa is a good one to talk to on this, and any other top speed questions.

what exactly does this accomplish, still on the learning curve here:thumbsup:

I'm just trying to optimize what Suzuki already provided us with. The factory ram air setup is horribly inefficient and leaky. Sealing the system better means more air goes into the airbox rather than into the bodywork. :beerchug:

I see something i will look into, thats what i was telling my buddies, that when these bikes are dynoed, the ram is not taking into account, there isnt really a way to simulate it, so these bikes prolly have more hp then what the dynos tell us due to that fact, ram air is always good for 5-10hp im guessing

I make Ramair seals. Here are some pics

In the CNC machine
RA4.jpg

RA3.jpg

Roughed out
RA2.jpg

RA1.jpg

MVC-017S.jpg

ViewImage.jpg

ViewImage2.jpg

ViewImage3.jpg

I still have the article from that... :laugh:

Whatever happened to NickSlick and a few of the others?

Those look like part of them goes into the frame to contact the ram air tubes? Is that the case? If so then that might just be what I'm looking for...

The physics are flawed.
A low flow system at high pressure is highly affected by leaks, but a high flow system at low pressures isn't affected at all by leaks. The static pressure in the box is only affected by the pressure at the front of the inlet.
Bad physics. Waste of money and time.

Nick actually bought my kits and then started reproducing them which is the funny part. I rode with him in Orlando at times..and was one of the first who made those back in 99-00 for the Gen I bikes. I've got 100's of people's info that bought them and I sent instructions on a 3.5 floppy

Ahh the early day's of testing...

Mike

Anyone still making these ram airbox seals for 2nd gen?

Nick actually bought my kits and then started reproducing them which is the funny part. I rode with him in Orlando at times..and was one of the first who made those back in 99-00 for the Gen I bikes. I've got 100's of people's info that bought them and I sent instructions on a 3.5 floppy

Ahh the early day's of testing...

Mike

Back