Do you put rubber on your ram?

I understand the stock ram air tubes leak quite a bit. What are some ideas on sealing them up to gain more ram air into the airbox?

The obvious would be to use ugly ol tape. A large shrink wrap would be perfect...if they made something of the sort.

Any ideas?

Heck yeah, every time...Ooops. I thought you were talking about hookers :whistle:

OK, here's the latest...I got a couple ideas from being lazy in bed this morning, LoL

Anyway, putting this air box back on is a royal PITA. Thank you Suzuki for making this wonderful bike, but it's a hard one to piece together sometimes.

I came up with a way to slide the airbox back onto the throttle bodies nice and snug and hopefully it'll still be tight next time you go in and take a look. Went to Harbor freight and got another oil filter wrench. Need one for each side and helps if someone holds one side while you hold and tighted the other. See pic.

Now as far as sealing the air box and ram tubes. Anyone can go the way of just putting something over the foam such as clear silicone, but my purpose was to leave the foam completely intack and not have it tear apart the next time I remove the air box.

This being said, I made some wraps out of gorilla tape and cut strips of aluminum foil to cover the foam to prevent any damage being done. These strips proved to be too wide and very difficult to wrap underneath without knotting up.

I did use silicone on the front of the frame where the ram tubes enter, but not on the back. While it appears the plastic tubes actually go all the way through the frame and may not need this to be sealed I did it anyway.

I have looked at every hardware store around and on the internet and unable to locate shrink wrap that is large enough to cover the opening. I did locate shrink tape, which may or may not work but it was $30 a roll and looks just like electrical tape. At this point I do not believe it would have worked, I'll tell you why in a minute.

Next idea (while being lazy this morning as previously mentioned). I said to myself "why not cut out the middle of a balloon?"

I think this was the best idea yet and attempted this today. It really was looking good, but there is simply not enough of a lip coming off the air box side of the frame to attach it too. Since there is nothing to keep it from collapsing the foam in it probably would have hurt more than it helped. The foam was squeezed inward which made a smaller hole for the air and it still does not seal against the tube.

At this point I think I am going to call it defeat, and maybe purchase the pieces that are made for the box. I just didn't see why those little pieces cost $89. While I don't mind spending a few $$$ for a good mod, I haven't actually heard of anyone using them yet and would like to know how well they really seal it up.

BTW...I don't see how any ram air actually stays in the air box at all with the OEM foam. If you stick your finger down through the foam there is about a 3/8 inch gap. The foam is like an air filter, and any presurized air is bound to leak right out.

I am going to start a thread asking sponsors about the air tight pieces.

100_1570.jpg

100_1578.jpg

100_1579.jpg

100_1580.jpg

100_1582.jpg

100_1583.jpg

Hmmm....very interesting Outlaw. I will be keeping an eye out on what you find out works best.

If you go w/ the Schnitz seals, please report back on their fit & quality. Good luck, it seems your on a worthwhile mission. :thumbsup:

90 bucks for a couple round pieces with some rubber seems kinda pricey. ???

is there anyone here who will agree with me ???? I am sorry you won't notice that much differents i build many bikes and sell many but i don't seeeee much differents on the dyno at all i will say very little but not enough to really worry about or waste money on , if you do exhaust and power commander things like this then its worth doing because your trying to get the most but i beleave it needs to be done in a group at once, this way you will feel and see a differents

410.jpg

462.jpg

412.jpg

is there anyone here who will agree with me ???? I am sorry you won't notice that much differents i build many bikes and sell many but i don't seeeee much differents on the dyno at all i will say very little but not enough to really worry about or waste money on , if you do exhaust and power commander things like this then its worth doing because your trying to get the most but i beleave it needs to be done in a group at once, this way you will feel and see a differents

I've got an exhaust and power commander...do you still not think it will make a difference to get a little more "pressurized" air?

Replace the foam with felixble automotive door jam. I have plenty for you to try. Its free...

the 10 cent fix is to put the garilla tape on the inside of the duct. it took all of 5min to pop the tank up and take the air box off and put about a 6in peace of tape around the inside. sealed well and will hold up.

Well over the winter I wraped mine(08)with some leather I had lying around.i figured it was better than nothing! Went to the LSR meet at loring,206.5 mph.This on a stock bike with just an exhaust,no custom map,just supplied map. I would say it made a diff.
Left air box in place,no fuss or worries and was free!Try this or substitute another material.BTW my mechanic noticed it and thought it was a good idea.:beerchug:

i'm a bit confused. if your bike is stock, how did u run 206.5 when every other busa in the world, stock, is limited to 186 mph??? Then with several mods, most guys are lucky to break the 200 barrier.......

I have a boost by smith de-restrictor,k&n filter,previously mentioned exhaust and a 190/55 rear tire that is the equivalent to a 2 teeth decrease in gearing.
Oh yeah, a strong tail wind and a mile and a half of smooth surface!:thumbsup:

DSC00112.jpg

i'm a bit confused. if your bike is stock, how did u run 206.5 when every other busa in the world, stock, is limited to 186 mph??? Then with several mods, most guys are lucky to break the 200 barrier.......

The '99s and a number of the '00s were capable of 200 MPH, but my understanding is with a 165 pound rider you'd probably top out at 196...

But I understand your point :thumbsup:

I have a boost by smith de-restrictor,k&n filter,previously mentioned exhaust and a 190/55 rear tire that is the equivalent to a 2 teeth decrease in gearing.
Oh yeah, a strong tail wind and a mile and a half of smooth surface!:thumbsup:

How does a 190/55 equate to a 2 tooth reduction when the 55 is only 1/8" taller than a 50? Math please. Like mentioned earlier, there are alot of guys on here running full exhaust, PC's De-restrictor, filter, box mods, even some in ternal work that have yet to break the 200 barrier. I'm not saying u didn't, but there are alot of us that would like to know that secret.

The 190/55 is at least a half inch taller,probably more.
I read after the fact, on the LSR site that brock(brocks perf.) used the same tire/gearing to go around 202 at maxton back when the 08 had first come out.My third qualifying run(125,150,175)on saturday was 190 and I had about 1000 to 1400 rpms left,not sure exactly,was busy:laugh:
There were mutliple gen2's at loring and I believe every one of them went over 200.Top gen 2 went 214+ with a more LSR oriented set-up,still stock internals. These bikes can run.The difference with just an exhaust change is amazing.:bowdown: My gen1 bike has a mild turbo set-up and the 08 will hang with it through a good part of the rpm band.
There was also a stock gen 1 there in the production class.I will try and see what he ran.I know he was in the ball park.
Anyway, I had a blast and accomplished a goal I long wanted to do.:thumbsup:
Funny thing is after my 4th run over 200 it started to feel normal and wanted to go that much faster,wish I had brought the turbo bike.:beerchug:

Back