Do you put rubber on your ram?

outlawbusa

1 wheel up aero testing
Donating Member
Registered
I understand the stock ram air tubes leak quite a bit. What are some ideas on sealing them up to gain more ram air into the airbox?

The obvious would be to use ugly ol tape. A large shrink wrap would be perfect...if they made something of the sort.

Any ideas?

do a search for "seal ram tube" and you will have a plethora of threads on it.

these for making the seal, its the best way to go, and the second one if you want to scoop more air into the front

a.jpg

b.jpg

I did a search before posting but only went back one page of threads. Didn't see what I was looking for.

I'll take another peek. Thanks for letting me know.

Check out my build thread for airbox mods. The seals are a PITA on the Gen-II so proceed with caution... :thumbsup:

Schnitzracing.com They have the rubber seals ,thats where I go them from. There is some grinding and removal of some material on the airbox but other than that its pretty easy to do. As far as the ramair tubes go you can take them apart( they are 2 separate pieces) its a little difficult to get them apart but it can done. Then I sealed them with RTV. I know I'll get some frowns upon using that stuff but if your careful in where you put it it will not get into the inside of the tube. I had pics at one time b ut I erased them from my camera. When you split the tubes there will be a lip that protrudes from the tube,make sure you put the RTV on the outside of that lip them carefully place it back together. Let it dry overnight and then seal off on end a plastic bag and tape it or rubber band it and fill with water and check for leaks. That worked for me. If you did get any on the inside of that lip and it does get loose in the airbox the filter will stop it from going into the engine just take the airbox lid off once in a while to check for RTV chunks.

Check out my build thread for airbox mods. The seals are a PITA on the Gen-II so proceed with caution... :thumbsup:

Congrats on your run...I have 1 more mph to gain.
Actually, .7 mph LoL

At the risk of sounding completely dumb, can you send me a link to your build?
I'm not the best at digging up the info.

I did locate this (First, I will be doing the BASIC mods that everyone does to a Hayabusa. It will pretty much include a pipe, air/fuel tuner, air filter (to include sealing the factory air box), race gas, and a few other little things.) but never saw the actual process.

I emailed Schitz on their products. I was looking more for sealing the stock components, but I like the aftermarket showing available. The scoops are kinda ugly imo but look like they would function well.

Gotta spell it right...Schnitz

I've ordered quite a few parts from them in the past. Great to deal with.

Well over the winter I wraped mine(08)with some leather I had lying around.i figured it was better than nothing! Went to the LSR meet at loring,206.5 mph.This on a stock bike with just an exhaust,no custom map,just supplied map. I would say it made a diff.
Left air box in place,no fuss or worries and was free!Try this or substitute another material.BTW my mechanic noticed it and thought it was a good idea.:beerchug:

Well over the winter I wraped mine(08)with some leather I had lying around.i figured it was better than nothing! Went to the LSR meet at loring,206.5 mph.This on a stock bike with just an exhaust,no custom map,just supplied map. I would say it made a diff.
Left air box in place,no fuss or worries and was free!Try this or substitute another material.BTW my mechanic noticed it and thought it was a good idea.:beerchug:

That's what I am looking for...I kinda wanted to know if wrapping the stock supply will make a difference. Thank you.

Did you wrap anything at all around the air box itself or just the ram tubes?

Just the ram tubes. Like I said, you can't argue with the price and relative ease of install.I did have an issue with snaking the cable ties through though.Slight PITA,think long needle nose pliers.
Also read the following post on ram-air function after posting here.The jury is out on function I guess, but something tells me these bikes come with them for a reason.I will say I would not buy the seals as the gains are minimal,but feel I made an improvement,if only psychological:whistle: :beerchug:

I'm definitely going to figure out some sort of a wrap job. Still think a large heat shrink would be great, LoL

Thanks for the advice.

The scoops have been proven to be a waste of money according to many of the drag racing threads that I have found. The factory designed the Busa in a wind tunnel to force air into the air intakes. I personally think that sealing the airbox inlets would be a much better investment.

Back