Backfiring!!

wolfgang1300

Registered
I have a 02 and recently it has always ran great up until a week ago when it started missing and backfiring has no power and jsut runs like crap. I have tried new plugs checked all the coils checked for air leaks disconnected my pc3r checked throttle position sensor and nothing it still runs the same way its driving me insane. Can any one help??

backfiring? through the air box or the pipe?

basics: compression/fuel and spark..

if it will run bad sitting still, shoot some carb clean down the throttles while running poorly and see if that does not wake it up.. (could be you are lean from plugged filter or bad pump)

Other option could be the sensor for the ignition system has come loose (inside stator cover?) and has thrown off ignition system

Chain jumped? Ouch.... doubt it would run very well if at all.. really do not know about the busa motor and this failure...

The reason I ask about the airbox mod it because I have seen an 02 with full Muzzy System back fire real bad. No matter what map was in it some made it worse and others still bad. Come to find out the hose on the right side of the airbox standing behind the bike needed to be plugged after the mod is done. Plugged the hole and no more popping and backfire.

The reason I ask about the airbox mod it because I have seen an 02 with full Muzzy System back fire real bad. No matter what map was in it some made it worse and others still bad. Come to find out the hose on the right side of the airbox standing behind the bike needed to be plugged after the mod is done. Plugged the hole and no more popping and backfire.
hose feeds the air injection to the pipes.. valve goes bad and allows fresh air to enter pipes under decel and creates backfire.. should not affect the performance however..

could be one of the coils breaking down ht leads heres some pages out of the haynes manual hope this helps good look i know what its like to be stuke all the best dazz:thumbsup:

124.jpg

125.jpg

backfiring? through the air box or the pipe?

basics: compression/fuel and spark..

if it will run bad sitting still, shoot some carb clean down the throttles while running poorly and see if that does not wake it up.. (could be you are lean from plugged filter or bad pump)

Other option could be the sensor for the ignition system has come loose (inside stator cover?) and has thrown off ignition system

Chain jumped? Ouch.... doubt it would run very well if at all.. really do not know about the busa motor and this failure...

do not spray carb cleaner in your throttle body!!!!!

it can and will dissolve the plastic seal around the throttle plate and WILL cause you to idle very high. typically a backfire is caused from a lean condition or very advanced timing.

do not spray carb cleaner in your throttle body!!!!!

it can and will dissolve the plastic seal around the throttle plate and WILL cause you to idle very high. typically a backfire is caused from a lean condition or very advanced timing.
Think I can see your post.. :laugh: so you think a shot of carb clean is going to ruin the throttle bodies huh? maybe you think gasoline is safer?

Think I can see your post.. :laugh: so you think a shot of carb clean is going to ruin the throttle bodies huh? maybe you think gasoline is safer?

lol, when i was at uti, some kid sprayed carb cleaner (at the urging of his pal) into his throttle body to clean it. afterwards, his saturn idled at 2500 rpms, due to the lining/seal having been eaten by the carb cleaner. lol, we had him looking up how to replace the "dufelator valve" to fix it, lol. i think he quit after that

keep it simple... check there's good spark at each of the spark plugs, the gap is correct avoid having tight feel on the feeler gauge when checking the gap on spark plugs its better a slight barely detectable drag feel. then check fuel is getting to the cylinders. You could just buy 500litre bottle of the toxic easy start and see if add to the fuel if this clears the system. add this to your gas tank with it being nearly empty... this is unlikely but also check your airfilter is not clogged with water or other liquids... if its all fouled up this can cause this fault.

you could also try running the bike in the dark and see if there are any leads tracking the light of the electrical current travelling on the outside of the lead being more visible at night..

in the past i have found giving the spark plugs a slightly bigger gap then manufactures recommend improves the delivery of the spark to the cylinder. Anyone with a harley this really improves cold running no need to buy their winter top up octane rip you off sir juice

I know your post was a while ago, but i wanted to reply for anyone else that might have a similar issue, not starting or running bad, back firing through throttle bodies. Check the position of the IAP. It should tee in the center of all 4 throttle bodies. If it's been moved, try unplugging and then seeing how the bike run.

Back