won't start ??

kennym4

Registered
It's the first time starting my bike in about a month, and a half, and when I turn the ignition switch on everything seems to be fine, but when I go to start it it dies (all electrical turns off, and makes a rapid ticking noise, and when I let off the trhottle the gauges reset, and lights come back on, does this soung like a dead battery to you guys ?? Should I be able to just charge it up, or is it new battery time ?

06 LE 11,000 miles original battery

thanks for any help !!!

Dead battery. Go to walmart and get a motorcycle charger. The battery probably has just a little juice but not enought to start. That is why you hear the clicking noise.

Not sure which car charger you have, but make sure it's on the 12V setting.

It's a Shumacker (??) 12 volt, but it has 2 amp - 10 amp - 50 amp (which I think is for starting) which setting should I use ?

Your going to need a new battery most likely. I would use the 10amp to charge and set it to the 50 when you decide to start the bike.

Be careful with the car charger...sometimes they can do damage to the motorcycle battery if it charges too quick. Walmart sells motorcycle battery chargers for 29.95. You will still have to have one to charge a new battery if you need one as they come uncharged.

It's a Shumacker (??) 12 volt, but it has 2 amp - 10 amp - 50 amp (which I think is for starting) which setting should I use ?

2 amp at the max and don't leave it on over night. Jump it off with your car and go riding is an even better option. Invest in the Tender Jr. for next year.

Six weeks on an '06 shouldn't be enough to cause damage, sounds like the battery just drained to low to turn the starter.

2 amp at the max and don't leave it on over night. Jump it off with your car and go riding is an even better option. Invest in the Tender Jr. for next year.

Six weeks on an '06 shouldn't be enough to cause damage, sounds like the battery just drained to low to turn the starter.

+1 Don't think I'd want to use a 10 amp on a battery that small.

2AMP max and you want him to jump it off a car battery that might be 400amp conservatively. I tried that once I think I blew the main fuse.

Set it to 10 amps and then after about 30 mins...then go with the 2 amp setting. :beerchug:

A charger is a charger and they all charge the same way! Use your car charger set to 12 volts. First, remove one of the cables from the battery or remove it from the bike, your choice. Hook your charger up to the battery and turn on the 10 amp charge for 15 minutes to warm the battery then reduce the charge to 2 amps. Let it charge over night and she is good to go! If the battery is still low on power, replace it.

Also if you have a wet battery, check every cell and make sure the fluid is up over the plates at least or up to the full mark.

Batteries don't like sitting unused for long periods of time. In the future, once a week or so put give her a 2 amp charge. A battery tender works great for keeping your battery in good shape.

yes it does, is that what a "tender is ?

There are some chargers that have a "maintain" setting, on this setting the charger is only charging @ 1-2 amps and cycles on and off...only charges when the battery 'needs' it.

A battery tender usually can only charge from about .5-2 amps...they are designed to be left 'on' your battery for extended lengths of time...as in ALL winter...they cycle on and off and can prolong the life of your battery.

Tender is a good investment...can be bought for $20-$50+ :beerchug:

it has a maintain switch also ??

That is used on a battery that has a good charge on it already...use the 10 amp for about 30 mins, then go to 2 amp...4-6 hours...

Your charger should have some sort of gauge to let you know if the battery is low or fully charge...just keep a eye on it. Once you get the level up to 'good'...then use the "maintain" setting.

2AMP max and you want him to jump it off a car battery that might be 400amp conservatively. I tried that once I think I blew the main fuse.

There's a huge difference sir in charging amps and cranking amps. Charging amps are what's being placed on the battery during a charge. Usually bike batteries, mower batteries, etc. will tell you 1.5 amps typically.

Cranking amps are those amps available to perform work such as turning a starter motor. The source is available. You only draw what's required. What's important is that you have the correct voltage. 12VDC system 12VDC source.

Fuses are designed to protect wire, equipment, and circuits. So obviously in your story there was an electrical problem that caused the fuse to open. A battery will not supply any more current than what is demanded by a circuit or limited to the source.

PS I just jumped my '08 off last week with a Mazda 6. Fired right up. Oh, and the Mazda was running. That's from an earlier thread.

Back