Noise from my 07 Busa

fastman

Registered
My Busa makes a rattling sound from under the tank at rear end of the engine. Heres the thing, it's ONLY when warming up and stops when completely warmed up and ONLY at 2000 rpms. I thought just time needed to circulate oil, but it lasts 4-5 minutes, well beyond time needed to circulate oil. Could it be a tensioner that doesn't expand until completely warm. Does your bike do this??? I really want to keep this bike longer then I've kept my last few bikes, but w/o warranty makes me nervous. Thanks in advance!

can you make the noise change by pulling in clutch? engaging trans? putting a bit of load on motor (drag clutch a touch)

Check for anything loose under the tank. Might be something simple. Don't assume the worst right off.

Well, there's definitely a nut behind the bars, seems to be fairly snug though. :beerchug: Not effected by clutch, more by rpm frequency. Only at 2000 rpm, only until fully warmed up. Since she is in the basement I will try and get my buddies stethoscope(automotive type, he's a tech) and see if I can pin point it. I was really hoping someone would say they all do that.

OK, have recieved 2 pm's stating cam chain tensioner. After searching and reading every related thread I could find, I found that there is a bolt that can be removed and after pushing an allen wrench in the hole (while or after pushing bike forward in gear ...not clear on that) the cam tensioner is adjusted and walla no more noise. Can anyone elaborate or share there experience doing this. And what if I ignore this noise, could it cause a problem?

It's a common thing on the Gen1...they clatter when cold...should buy a Gen2, they are smoother and quite. If you change to a full synthetic oil it should not be as loud :beerchug:

Make sure it's coming from inside the motor and not just something making a harmonic vibration rattle on the outside. 2000 rpm is where my fast idle is set at and no rattles when cold. Smooth as silk.

Being at a certain rpm like that I was thinking/hoping harmonic vibration outside the engine to, but it goes away when warm so...?, must be that pesky cam chain tensioner. Now my mission is to learn/speak with people who have done or have knowledge of this cam tensioner mod. Again, thank you all for your input.

Mine has done the exact same thing since new. I have almost 7K on it now. I'll worry when the noise quits. THAT would be abnormal. LOL!!

Being at a certain rpm like that I was thinking/hoping harmonic vibration outside the engine to, but it goes away when warm so...?, must be that pesky cam chain tensioner. Now my mission is to learn/speak with people who have done or have knowledge of this cam tensioner mod. Again, thank you all for your input.

It may also go away when it warms up because the motor smooths out and the harmonics no longer are at the exact pitch to make the rattle.
Actually I can't say for sure because I havn't heard the noise, but don't worry too much until you locate the noise for sure.

my 07 doe`s the same thing..6500 miles and rollin. now that i`ve cut my can in half i hardly ever notice it!!:laugh: be careful not to overtighten the cam chain, i`m leaving mine alone .we did this on a friends bike(not a busa) , just evenly loosen the 2 bolts holding the tensioner to engine until they heard a click(the tensioner racheting out a tooth) and tightened it back down?? or maybe you could get an adjustable tensioner..post up if you do it and let us know the results.

Have 07 and have the same thing have 14800 miles took it to the dealer and they said it was the clutch and anti rattle springs was going to get it fix but i don't.

Clutch basket...when cold, the basket is flopping back and forth on it's pivot......as compressions even out and the engine warms it quiets down..... :oldcool:

Next question !!!! :super:

Back