Gear Indicator

OB_Booker

Registered
A few days ago a gentleman on this board posted how he had installed a gear indicator on his BUSA. If you are still on here would you mind tell me how in the hell you were able to do this and does it work without fail?

Booker,
That was my gear indicator. Having weird hobbies has it's advantages for me. The infamous "pink wire" is the gear position sensor. The voltage level on this wire tells the ECU (and me and you) which gear the bike is in. I just rigged up a microcontroller to the wire, stuck a 7-segment LED on it and mounted to the lower right of the instrument panel.
If you don't want to do all the electrical work, I should have parts in the next few days to sell. If you like this kind of stuff, I'll be glad to give you a hand.

pics at:
http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4293965577

Busageek, I find myself from time to time checking to see if I'm in 6th gear. That led set-up sounds good and would stop me from doing this. Is it possible to make this digital?
You can post it or e-mail me at oklahomabob@yahoo.com
Thanks, Okla Bob

Yup,
The display looks like a calculator number, except bright red - 0 is neutral, a number indicates the gear you're in. Even tells you when you missed a shift -- like you didn't know.
BTW -- how many neutrals does this thing have. Lets see, one between first and second, one between fifth and sixth, little ones dispersed elsewhere .....

I'm not sure yet. Generation Two will be finished soon (waiting for parts), price will be reasonable, but there will be some fitting work for the customer to do.

BUSAGEEK
I'm interested in one also but,would really be nice to be able to control a seperate 12V switch with each gear as THEMOTORHEAD suggested for turbocharged applications. I ran this type of system on my 93 GSRX Turbo by modifying the stock single position neutral switch to provide a seperate ground for each gear and it worked great.

I'd get the thing patented quick if I where you BusaGeek. You going to be inundated with requests for this thing (I would certainly be up for one too!) and after all your work building a prototype and getting it working, it would be a shame for someone else to get all the credit / royalties / manufacturing writes from your labours.

BusaGeek--Put my name on a list also. Love that High tech wizardry. Always thought it would be great to have one of these. Now if you could just get the turn signals to self-cancel.......

Pburke@ch2m.com

Back