Just ordered Muzzy full titanium exhaust with round titanium can from

Full Ti system is pricey. What are you going to use that stuff for? Actually, the stock Busa goes pretty good on the track, at Willow anyway. Tires are the one preformance item definitely worth paying attention to. If running at the strip, well, horsepower is one part, weight is the other...oh, and technique also.

But other than for running quarters, why a Ti pipe and cams? I'm just curious. I mean, "Why not??", or "Because!!" are perfectly acceptable answers. But I'm just curious, as to your motivation to do the mods. Everybody tells me I should do them; I really like it stock. My feeling is, why make it into a hot rod? It's already a hot rod.

[This message has been edited by Mr Bear (edited 27 July 2000).]

Is Muzzy better than some of the other brands? Kerker, Yoshi, etc?

Also, why titanium over aluminum? They seem to look the same in catalogs.

Thanks,
Dave

Kirk,

Good choice and I just ordered one of the last two available (for a while) direct from Muzzy. I hate to tell you this but Muzzy builds the full Ti systems in small "runs". The last run they made was in June. They only built 10 and according to Muzzy you had to sign up for one of the 10 systems being built. Any customers buying direct from Muzzy would be taken care of first. Only then would any "leftovers" be sent to the distributors. There was only 1 system left of the run of 10 according to Dave at Muzzys as of last Monday. Eventually they will build another small run and when direct sale customer needs are met the distributors will be taken care of. I would guess you are looking at a minimum of 30 days - providing the above conditions are met.

Also - the round can is pretty small compared to the oval. Looks a bit undersized on a bike the size of the Busa.

If you get tired of waiting the stainless systems are easier to get.

If you want to verify any of what I have told you check with Kirt at Muzzy. Pics of the cans are at Muzzys.com

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 27 July 2000).]

Todd- you speak the truth. As you might already know, I am very comfortable with the truth. I am not comfortable with the truth this time. First I called Muzzy. Dave said they have one. I told him that I had already ordered it from MAW for over a hundred dollars less. He said If I wanted this one that it's $895 and there will be no "deals". The next ones should be out in about 60 days and I may find myself in the same boat then because "retail" (direct) customers get taken care of first then if there are any left over they are shipped to cover back orders with other vendors. I called MAW. They called Muzzy while I was on hold. Muzzy told them that there weren't any. I asked MAW if they had ever sold one. They said no. I think you can see where this is going. I caved in and bought it from Muzzy, but I am not comfortable with this.

[This message has been edited by Kirk (edited 27 July 2000).]

I felt EXACTLY the same way in June Kirk. I was also all set to order from MAW and called Muzzy to check availability after MAW told me they had to "backorder" the full Ti and after also hearing about a 30 day wait from one of the guys on the Busa boards.

I also hoped they might knock off a few $ since MAW listed their price at about $100 less. No such luck. I posted about my "displeasure" and decided to buy a different pipe.

I was unable to get that other pipe (Tri-Oval) - they (Chapparall) sent the wrong one - took nearly a month - LONG story.

I started to order direct from Yosh and pay and extra $100 for the Tri-Oval and thought to myself - "I just gave up on the Muzzy full Ti for the same reason!". On a wild hunch I called Muzzy on Monday morning before calling Yosh (who don't open as early as Muzzy [same timezone]) and Dave said they had TWO full Ti systems because 2 customers had cancelled their pre-orders.

I ordered it on the spot. I'm surprised they still had that one full Ti left - you were lucky to get it.

The price is still good considering it is a full TI and it's less $ than the Tri-Oval and Akro which are stainless pipes with Ti cans. [carbon optional on Akro]

The dyno numbers for the Muzzy have been among the best and you won't find a lighter weight exhaust.

Stock exhaust wieghs 40lbs. Muzzy ti with round ti can weighs 5lbs. That is what we are paying for. And they are the loudest. And they are supposed to be within about 1hp of being the strongest.

Whatever. I want to know about ET's, trap speeds, and lap times. If you don't go for that stuff, and you want to get off easy, a dyno shop and a truck scale will suffice.

But this "I noticed a big difference" stuff doesn't convince me. Have you heard of placebo effect? It sounds faster, you think it is faster, so it feels faster. Take it to the strip, take it to the track, before & after. Or at the least, an accurate scale and dyno. I don't go for feel-good stuff, I want numbers, from my bike, as well as anyone else's. Convince me that the cost is worth it, for something more than poser value.

I dont even know what I'm doing up this early but man this thread is a little windy if you know what I mean.
I paid $942.00 direct from muzzys plus shipping bringing it to $1,025.00
If you got it for what you said and they absorbed the shipping you should send them a christmas card this year.
Why is this the way to go?
Because it dynos the highest of any system currently made along with the akrapovic while weighing a total of 7lbs.
It also has far and away the meanest sound of all the pipes made for the 1300.
Last and most important is weight reduction, on this bike it is paramount. Bear, you would be shocked what these things will do when you take 50lbs off of them. Everything you enjoy about yours now, multiply it by 100.

OK, hopefully these are the last stupid questions from me (yeah right):

Are the stock pipes aluminum? If NOT, why titanium vs. aluminum after market?

Also, what will you NOT get if you only get slip-ons?

Thanks for the info so far...I'm leaning towards the Muzzy's.

[This message has been edited by King Atlas (edited 28 July 2000).]

If you get slip ons, you are paying twice for the most expensive portion of the exhaust system. You are also not really getting much of a performance increase, and you are really not saving that much weight.

Back