200/zr./17 tires

Hey Turbobusa, the speedo runs off the front tire. Shouldn't cause a problem at all. As matter of fact, it should look great!

The speedometer gets it's signal from the counter shaft sprocket. I believe the only wat to effect it is to change gearing either front or rear.

OOOOPS!!! After further investigating it seems the speedo may get its info from the countershaft sprocket or countershaft itself. If so then it would affect you speedo, but just a little and since that tire is just a little taller it would make it a little more realistic. [The speedo reads a little fast all the time, the 200 tire would slow it down and make it a little more accurate.] Sorry for the mistake. That means that the big Kaw is probably NOT limited if it will pull to redline in 6th on the dyno and other factors are keeping its speed down like aerodynamics,too tall gearing or just not enough horsepower for the drag it has.

The bike comes stock with what is already essentially a 200 so I doubt it will make any difference.

Exactly - big waste of money if buying a 200 for extra width only since the stock OEM Bridgestone specs at 198 mm. Should be virtually indistinguishable from a 200 mm.

thanks for all your replys, by the way chapparal has or had 200/50/zr/17 tires the bridgestone battlax or soon to be called battlax it is not as soft as the stock tire.
the tire is reasonable at 135.00, 8.00 s/h flat fee, cheapest i could find and really the only people i think to carry the 200 or aleast to have a 200 in stock right now..

Find out exactly what tire that is if you would, it will undoubtedly be the cheapest 200 currently made. The pilots and 207's will hover around 180.00 or so thru the big outlets like chapparal and starcycle.

The fact that the stock Bridgestone actually measures 198 is the reason you want a 200 tire. The stock Bridestone sucks. When you go to replace it if you get a 190 from any manufacturer other than Bridgestone it will not be as wide. I have a 200/50/17 Michelin TX25. It rocks.

The stock speedo is off straight from the factory no matter what your tire and gearing is. If you make changes it depends on what changes you make as to if it effects your speedo Plus or minus.

The best deal is to get the yellow box and then you can fix it no matter what.

http://centauri.ezy.net.au/~fastvid/

That is the link for the speedo corrector

This mystery 198 keeps popping up everywhere. I measured mine and it did at 188, and my valkyrie 180 measured at 178 (both consistently 2mm less). It looks and measures exactly the same as my buddy's avon 190. To settle this enigma once and for all, and to calculate any difference in speed, we need a simple solution:
you guys with 200s, inflate your tires to 42psi and measure the circumference. The same with other 190s. Since both sizes are 50 series, larger circumference=wider. If somebody here has a stock tire with little miles, measure it at 42psi cold to compare against the others. I want to replace my tire with the one that most closely matches the current circumference (either 190 or 200). Does that make sense?

Valklex,

Ive just replaced my bt56 190 rear tyre with a michelin tx25 200 and it doesnt look any bigger, infact i reckon that there is more space between the tyre and the chain then there was with the bridgestone.
It seems to be that the old bt56 battlax just doesnt have a good reputation for grip, so..just go out and replace it with a michelin pilot sport, or tx25,..or dunlop 207, these should give a better ride. The newer Bridgestone BT010 200 seems better (but unfortunately i cant get one in the uk yet). If you want an even better ride then you may want to try the pirelli evos, but dont get expect too many miles.

Either way, any 200 will fit, as the others have said, the bt56j is actually 198 anyway so there are no worries.

I don't have a problem with the OEM Bridgestone either and it did a good job for me on the multitude of twisties during my Arkansas adventure last week. The rear can be purchased for less than $130 now and it properly speed rated for the Busa. However there are a lot of people who just can't seem to get along with them at all. I don't see myself ever paying upwards of $200 for the 200 Pilot no matter how much better it is. (if they ever release it) I've gotten 5000 miles out of one OEM rear and 3500 out of another but both included 1000 mile break-in periods. (2 different Busas)

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 24 May 2000).]

The pilot 200 is less than 3 weeks away from full availability. The best introductory price I've seen thus far is $180.00 or so and I believe thats as good as its going to get for a while. Unlike some people I'm not willing to compromise on tires, at all. These are the best there is and thats what I have to have on my bike. Can you tell me a more crucial component on this state of the art machine?

omaga it is the new bridgestone bt010 200/50/zr/17, i considered the dunlop and some other 200mm tires but the tech at chaparral said this would be the best of both worlds not to sticky, but just right with wear.

Many of you guys have said that the OEM is pants. What makes you say that? The only real complaint I have is the 2000 miles between changes 'cos I keep shagging them.

The tyre does slide around when pushed, but I've never found that to be much of a problem. Worst tyre I ever had was a Michelin, ages ago on a Thunderace. Sticky as all hell, no messing, but when it let-go it did it all at once, no warning just zero traction. Bit scary that. I think the Bridgestone’s on the 'busa may not be as sticky as say those Michelins, nowhere near as a Dragon, but you do have a wide envelope of controllable slip before the tyre lets go of the black stuff and Newton’s second takes over.

Given the compound of the Evo, I wouldn't even consider using it. A good tyre I have no doubt, supper sticky and fast to warm up. I would expect them to last about five minutes though as they are so soft, and I'm not that wealthy. I've never tried a Pilot or a 207 though. You guys think they are really that much better then the stock? What’s the drive like on these two, and will they last any longer?

[This message has been edited by Tangram (edited 24 May 2000).]

Back