TYRES, TIRES and more TYRES, TIRES

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB_gsx1300rguy

Registered
Sport Rider mag just did a sport tire shoot out and the Mich Pilot sports came out on top.If you check back postings for SportRider you might find it.I my self have used the Avon Azero with very good results,I knew I was going to do alot of highway trips last year and I got a good 6000 miles out of them,these tires came in fifth on the shootout but would rank higher if you do alot of bumpy back road twisties.I have to admit I am going to try the Pilot sports this spring,I got about 1500 more left on the Avons.

Hey Lyle,
I thought you just got your busa. You already switched the tires? How you gonna enjoy nice long smoky burnouts unless you get those stockers back on and start abusing them? :)

Tires:

My OEM front lasted 6000 miles, if I had a lot of freeway to travel the front could have gone another 1-2000 miles, sides were pretty much gone, center still had a nice deep groove left ...

HOWEVER ...

the rear ... that is another story !!!

I am on my third rear tire [stock oem, Dunlop 207, stock oem] the last Bridgestone got only 1800 miles ... there was a little left ... BUT ... it is WINTER ... had rain and it was not "safe" any longer ...

went to the stock size "Michlen Pilot Sport" ... handles the canyons great ...

I do most of my riding through the Santa Monica Mountains close to Malibu California

have about 200 miles on them, hope the mileage is better ... i do not ride hard, a lot of 2 up with the wife ...

Alan

P.S.

where do you guys get tires so cheap??? I paid $143.00 for the oem rear ... the dealer wanted $268.00 plus $60.00 install ... plus $15.00 disposal fees ... plus tax out the door about $360.00 for one rear tire

Paid $169.00 M-P-S for the rear installed and balanced;
Paid $129.00 for the front installed and balanced;

OR $298.00 FRONT AND REAR, MOUNTED AND BALANCED ... I TOOK IN THE WHEELS AND OLD TIRES ...

that is the best price I could find ...

REMEMBER ... THE STOCK BRIDGESTONES ARE THE ONLY TIRE RATED FOR 200 MPH ... SINCE I NEVER RED LINE IN 6TH GEAR, NOR ANY GEAR NORMALLY, THE M-P-S SHOULD WORK JUST GREAT!!

the tire mileage for the front OEM was 7,000 miles not 6,000 as my post states ... front could have made 9 to 10,000 miles if it was on a straight road.

Aqua: All tires mentioned here (azaro, 207, BT56, pilot, MEZ3) are Z-rated and can go 200 mph. I have one question for the Bridgestone OEM: I only find on magazines the BT56SS, and not the BT56R stock. Are you guys replacing the bridgetone with the stock (where did you buy it?) or with the SS?
Please list your mileage and impressions with the other tires.

I'm staying stock on my 99 Busa,got amost 3000miles on the rear before replacement and the front still looks like new.I keep the air in the front and back at 42psi/cold.Some of the other members are switching over to the Pilots since you have more of a U-shape for the twisties but the price is a little higher than the stock tires.Stock tires rear is $126.Good Luck

I'm using Metzler MEZ3 "Sport Radials". They stick lots better than the OEM Slipstones, especially on Penna's tar snakes.

valklex, z rated tires for motorcycles state 149+ not meant for 200. At 190 mph the standard BT56 threw chunks of rubber off the tire due to overheating. They needed a new compound to overcome this, thus the BT56J tire. The only tire that I am aware of rated at 190+ for the street. I use the michelin Pilots and they work great been to 215 indicated on them and no problem. They grip great and have good cold and wet characteristics.

[This message has been edited by VegasDude (edited 31 January 2000).]

I switched to MEZ3's and they are much much better then OEM especially in the wet. (and I do a lot of wet riding here).

Good deal Lyle! My Pilots should be here by Friday, then after that DYMAGS!! Everything should be on the bike by the time we go blasting. Until then I've got to do something with these BT56Js, think I'll go practice 360 burnouts, should be easy on the ice out there :)

I'm on Pilot Sports (190 rear) - absolutely fantastic even on the dirty shitty excuses of a road we have in the UK during winter, the amount of abuse you can give the throttle in the wet compared to the 'Stones is amazing.

I've been utterly impressed by the Avon Azaros on my R1 (before I switched to Pilot Races) but I figured with my riding style a bit more grip over mileage is probably worth it considering the amount of time I spend n a track! But then the Azaros handled the track with aplomb (went past a fair number of race bikes on super sticky rubber) but you can never have too much grip.

Avons feel differenct due to their revolutionary light weight construction, some riders don't like that feel, I'm not convinced they work that well on a Busa, I will try them at one stage though.

I bought the MEZ3's because the dealer gave me a deal exchanging them when the Bridgestones were unused. Thus I ended up with a new bike with excellent MEZ3's.

RobBase, I'm not a machinery/tire abusing kind of guy. Oh maybe a little abuse.

I believe the next set will be Michelin Pilot Sports, perhaps a 200 rear.

VegasDude: Thanks for the info. The BT56J you mention, is that the same as my stock BT56R stamped on the sidewall? I don't intent to get to 190, but even if a was to get close, it would be for a moment, so I'm not worried about a rating higher that 149 sustained, but I definitely want the tires to last as long as possible (z-rating guarantees decent grip for me). What about guys with the MEZ3, do they last any longer than pilots/stock?

Can't say as I haven't gone through the set yet. WIll keep you posted though. Couldn't be any worse then OEM that's for sure.

Until you've tried the sports, its hard to compare. I think they have taken the technology a step further. I find myself doing shi t that I would'nt dream of doing on 207's. I could never use anything else now.
You know somethins up when your charging around guys on an outside line when they're fully committed. These give you that kind of confidence. Anyone else concur?

The Bstone SS tires rated very high on the SportRider test.I wouldn`t recommend using stock 56`s on the Busa .The J series is made for the bike but the SS`s can and have been used with good results on the Bus.The difference is tread compound and tire construction 2 vs 3 ply construction and tread width,198 vs 190.Listen all the latest hyperbikes are coming off the floor with the Mich Pilot sports...that should tell you something also you can now get a 200 series for the rear,it slows down the steering alittle but gets you a bigger foot print.

...I would concure with all the kudos in regard to the Pilot Sport...they litteraly transformed the steering characterisics of the Busa and yet if anything feel better than oem at speed...noted with interest your notes, Vegas Dude...

Nice to hear it gsx1300rguy I'm a big fan of the Azaros - a very underrated tyre, I'll look forward to givin 'em a spin on the Busa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back