Country\'s 10 Best Straight Away\'s

Honolulu International, to LAX, 2200 miles with a one way average of 550!(ok so only part of it is in the country)

Jan 2000 Car & Driver or Motor-Trend one of those??, has the 10 Best Str8-Away's in the US.

As you all know that's Busa Territory.

161 ®

NY
A few weeks ago I took a ride that included portions of Interstate 88 which runs from Albany to Binghamton. I was never on 88 before. Its gets very little traffic, lots of long straights and sweeping turns. There are also stretches where the there is a forty or fifty foot elevation difference between lanes in opposite directions. I don't know if this elevation difference makes it harder or easier to get trapped. Anyway, the highway looked like it has Busa potential.

I-10 West of Kerrville, Texas. Several hours of long and boring road all the way to El Paso. Only the Busa can give it a little life.

The best I've ever found is Oregon state highway 31 near Silver Lake (dry lake), between Bend and Lakeview. There are two stretches that are arrow-straight and pancake-smooth and level. One is eleven miles long, the other is sixteen miles long.

It is totally out in the middle of nowhere, with no obstructions whatsoever to visibility, not even a tumbleweed. Anything bigger than a mouse, you will see it. Any other vehicles you can see coming for a couple of days. I've only been there once, but I figured out how fast my GS1100 could go there with soft saddlebags, a tent & sleeping bag bungee-corded to the back seat. With two teeth off the rear sprocket it was equal in fourth and fifth gear; maxed out at 600 rpm into redline in fourth, 500 rpm short of redline in fifth. I just went along in a tuck maxed out for a couple miles in each gear. And when I got tired of it and shut off, I still had about 8 miles to go before the road turned.

Sherm do you live in NY? I live near Rt. 88 near Cobleskill. Actually I have found that road to be too heavily patrolled, got a ticket on there with my Vmax. I guess Falcon doesn't have that problem! I have found 87 north of Lake George to be pretty safe though, nothing up there. We have a 5 mile strait away near my house which is a remote secondary road with good pavement. I have spent all day there with friends doing radar runs and wheelies for video and the camera with no trouble at all.

I looked for & found the article on the magazine rack at the supermarket tonite...I meant to commit to memory which one it was, but my oldtimer's disease is acting up. I am pretty sure it is Car & Driver. It is the top 8 straights though, I think. Highway 31-Silver Lake in Oregon is definitely as good as any in the article. It's just a long way to go, unless you live in Bend, Portland, or Reno.

Supermax, I live near Rome. I was only on 88 one time, you know it much better than me.
I agree with you on 87.

I could tell you, but then I'd have to....

Seriously, you could just pick a spot on US50 or even 95 in Nevada. Ever hear of "The loneliest road in the world?"
It would be insane to get on 50 for any other purpose.

Back