Ever been busted?

OB_Falconer

Registered
I've really enjoyed blasting around these last few weeks with no license plate on the back of the bike. Here in California, they mail the plates out to you in about a month.

I live in Sonoma County, so there are a _lot_ of touristmobiles which I've been blowing by. Has anyone out there ever gotten a letter from their DMV after-the-fact reporting a complaint from an irate driver you blew past? I know that if the violation sounds bad enough to the bureaucrats ("Ohmygod, I was going 45 in a 65 zone and he passed me! He musta been doing at least 70 -- I soiled my Depends!"), the California DMV _will_ send you a nastygram.

With my luck, once the plates are on, I'll be the first on my block to be busted by Gramps.

Got my first ticket in 5 years last week on the busa. I was just taking my time rolling down I-70 about 79 mph, zap...... got me with laser.

I have ordered a valentine, should arrive later on this week. Now I must go pay a "slime bag" lawyer to "reduce" this to a parking ticket. Don't need the extra insurance increase.

Just a philosophic thought,

It's not illegal to run from the cops. It's illegal to fail when running from cops.

(Not that I would EVER do that) :p

Not me bashing the valentine. My purpose for the detector is not to goo 150 mph and survive a cop chase. I need it to remind me that I'm speeding. I was just pokin in traffice last week, most everyone was going 80 mph. I did not pay attention to what was going on and I got the ticket (over the 99 red corvette in the lane to my left).
I faxed my order in on Saturday for the complete package (yes $500....damn my 2-bros were only $30 more than that).
Let you know how it goes..... hope I can keep alert going so slow (80 on the Busa seems like 30).

Sorry Jeffw, well anyway you made a good move with the Valentine. I have mine mounted in a Suzuki magnetic tank bag, placing the detector under the map pouch and on top of the bag lets it pickup Laser from the front.
I got a SAENG mount for the audio control and mounted the remote display on top of them instruments with the 3M stuff that came from valentine. You could forgo the SAENG mount and maybe velcro the audio control on top of the clutch reservoir. This thing works REALLY good and for all intents and purposes it will save your ass most of the time(those front brakes work REAL good too!. No nothing is going to help you much running alone or way above a 120. Go to RADIO SHACK and buy a set of R11 crimpers and some extra R11 ends and go at it. When you disconect the battery for power 1)disconnect the Negative first
2)connect the Negative last
or you may damage some of the bikes sensors as per the Suzuki Service Book.

i said some negative things about that Valentine one last week
because i was not too sure about its effectiveness at that high price on our bike

you said that the laser won't work from the rear on the BIKE MODE
is that correct?

with the remote display, the whole deal costs $500.00
that's a lot of money
i know, it's cheaper than a couple of tickets and the ensuing rise in insurance rate (if you are not canceled alltogether)
but...
when you are running over the ton on the interstate
thinking that you are all alone
no detector is going to save your ass from that ticket

if you know what i mean

greg

This is what really happen's,if you make a driver really mad and he calls it in via cell phone to the CHP,they will ask color/type of motorcycle,the type of clothes or motorcycle outfit you where wearing,helmet color.The more calls comes in about you,then they setup a trap in the area that all this complaining has been taking place.Wham-O caught,bike get's towed and impounded,if you run from the CHP and get caught you get thrown in JAIL period,new Law in California 1999.Anyways good luck,and make sure you know all the back roads to hid.Like they say you can run but you can't hid.

Jeffw, are you the guy bashing the Valentine last week? Over the holiday mine saved my ass eight times. 8x(fine)= ???
Sorry i just had to say that. Buy the remote dislpay and put on top of the instrument cluster, run the wire through the drain hole
Put the detector in or on top of a tank bag.
It works GREAT but you need the remote display to take advantage of the Valentines information or you may have well as bought a BELL.

Just for the record, disconnecting power is the same whether it be the positve or negative first, however there is a good reason Suzuki wants you to do the negative first, but it has nothing to do with damaging sensors, saying it will lead to sensor problems just gets your attention. The real reason, if you try to remove the positive first and accidentally touch ground what happens?? You get big sparks potentially enough to explode the battery or burn through what ever it was you touched (gas tank maybe) also in case you didn't know an electrical spark no matter how small burns in excess of 10,000 degrees F. OK if you disconnect the negative first and you accidentally touch ground now what happens?? Nothing the negative cable is already attached to ground so there is no danger, unless of course you short across to the positive terminal of the battery, but you would have to be trying to do that. Once the negative terminal is disconnected you can do anything you want with the positive end because you have now interrupted the electrical circuit. Suzuki says it's a potential sensor problem because most people take pretty good care of their bike but ignore personnal safety.
Jim

Back