Speedo not working, any idea's??

TorontoBusa

Donating Member
Registered
Today, the speed starting bouncing up and down about 20 mph. and after a while just went to 0, and that was it.

Anyone have any idea's where to look where its connected or what I could look for.
rock.gif

And every now and then it will work for a second or two.

Thanks in advance

P.S. And I doubt the cops will believe me when I say I didn't know how fast I was going

If i am not mistaken. Take off your left side fairing (like your sitting on bike) Near your sprocket cover are three wires coming out of it. Follow those wires to the end where it should come to a plug where it goes to ecu. Check to make sure you have no fray's etc. Sounds like something is loose and on its way to breaking. Hope it helps

Yep, sounds like yer sprocket cover is comin' loose. The speed sensor is mounted on that cover. My cover worked loose not long after I bought my '03 and the speedo done the exact same thing you're describing. The cover I'm talkin' about is located behind the coolant overflow bottle. I tightened mine back up, the speedo worked perfectly and I haven't had any problems with it since then.

Here's a pic. Check all the highlighted bolts.
wink.gif

speedsensorrepairhighlt.jpg

Meant to say, speed sensor is the thingy directly between the top right bolt and the bottom right bolt in the pic. If you draw a line between those two bolts it crosses the sensor.
wink.gif

Damn, I'll get it all in a minute!
drooling3.gif
Also meant to say that if you let it get too loose before you fix it your clutch will also quit workin'. The clutch leverages off of this cover as well. If it gets too loose the clutch has nothin' to leverage off of. When my speedo stopped bouncin' and just died I also noticed that my clutch was just barely workin'. It'd almost still pull with the clutch lever pulled all the way in. Notice that as well?
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081573385 -->

Thanks for the info, I'll give it shot in the Morning, and let you know the results (but it sounds like that will do the trick!)

P.S. My clutch feels fine, but its a new bike to me, so don't what it should feel like if its off a bit

No problem, BigBS.
beerchug.gif
As always, I'm glad to share what little I know.
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081575317 -->

Thanks for the info, I'll give it shot in the Morning, and let you know the results (but it sounds like that will do the trick!)

P.S. My clutch feels fine, but its a new bike to me, so don't what it should feel like if its off a bit
Yeah, please post and let us know if that takes care of it. I think it's a fairly common problem. I've seen it posted several times since I've been in the busa scene.

If that dosnt work.. Do you have different than stock guages? If so the needles probably just sticking because it's pressed in too far. If you have after market gauges and BT's solution isnt it, then pull the needles out a little.

JD

Thought I found the problem today, one of the electrical plugs on the left side under the handle bar was worn through, I guess from rubbing.

Removed the sensor, checked the wires going to it, fine.

Checked the clutch area cover seems fine, but will check tomorrow with a torque wrench.

Didn't take the side cover off yet (to sunny had to go for a ride
biggrin.gif
)

I'll let you know how it pans out.

<!--EDIT|TorontoBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1081659419 -->

Didn't take the side cover off yet (to sunny had to go for a ride
biggrin.gif
)
You did see my comment regarding the clutch going out if it gets too loose, right? Sunny or not, it's gonna suck if you're out ridin' when it goes out. Luckily mine went out in the driveway *AFTER* a ride. I'd tear it down and check those bolts ASAP before ridin' it again. Just my opinion, though... It's yer busa.
wink.gif

If all else fails hide it at a buddies house, claim it was stolen and get a brand new one!!!
laugh.gif
You deserve it right??!!
cool.gif
j/k

He's the guy in prison that used to be referred to as Bubba. I locked him up and put him there is how I know him.
biggrin.gif

I had something very similar happen to me. My speedo stopped working. When I would turn the ignition on, the gauge would bounce, so I knew it was nothing physically wrong.

It turned out that there was a square nut that had worked it's way out, and broke the metal/plastic piece that holds the speedo sensor from the INSIDE.

The dealer told me that this was common (the factory people didn't torque it down good enough).

Good luck.

--Juggler

Update: I think I found the problem.

The sensor from the sprocket has a lead wire about 12" long, and where it connects (near the Radiator fluid filler) it was dripping green water (corrosion)

Took it apart, clean it up with the dremel using a brass wire brush.

Taped it up to keep future water out of it.

It works now, but not sure 100%, as the problem is intermittent.

Back