Thinking about making a long ride...

apehog

Registered
I'm about ready to go ahead and buy a new '08 from a dealer in NC. I had planned to do this months ago, but as with many of my plans, things just didn't work out. I want to fly in, then ride back to TX and probably wouldn't think twice about it if I were to do it on my HD electraglide, but....this is ALOT different.

1200 miles on an unfamiliar sportbike in the winter probably sounds pretty dumb, even to me, and I really want this bike! The price is too good to pass up and if I book in advance, my fare will be around $100. Trailers or pickups aren't an option right now, but a pickup might be a possibility in the future.

Guess what I'd like to know is this: would anybody else consider doing a ride like this under similar circumstances? Cross country rides are no big deal to me, but this would be a first...on a hayabusa. Thanks.

I'm about ready to go ahead and buy a new '08 from a dealer in NC. I had planned to do this months ago, but as with many of my plans, things just didn't work out. I want to fly in, then ride back to TX and probably wouldn't think twice about it if I were to do it on my HD electraglide, but....this is ALOT different.

1200 miles on an unfamiliar sportbike in the winter probably sounds pretty dumb, even to me, and I really want this bike! The price is too good to pass up and if I book in advance, my fare will be around $100. Trailers or pickups aren't an option right now, but a pickup might be a possibility in the future.

Guess what I'd like to know is this: would anybody else consider doing a ride like this under similar circumstances? Cross country rides are no big deal to me, but this would be a first...on a hayabusa. Thanks.

In April I flew into North Carolina...from California, picked up a new '08 and rode it around NC for a week...then back to CA. I did 5,130 miles in 15 days :thumbsup:

let them store it till spring... stop at Spring Bash on the way home... :whistle:

Check the weather channel frequently. Go where it is relatively warmer and take care. Cold weather, cold tires and a new ride call for restraint. Enjoy the ride. Leave the "rush" of the 'Busa's performance until you get closer to home.

I WOULD DO IT!

Good replies so far! Even the one about storing it 'till spring. My nature tells me to go for it too :thumbsup:

Spring Bash would be a great way to break in the new scoot.... :)

In April I flew into North Carolina...from California, picked up a new '08 and rode it around NC for a week...then back to CA. I did 5,130 miles in 15 days :thumbsup:

I feel like a pud for even hesitating at doing 1200 miles lol...The spring bash sounds great, but I don't want to wait that long to pick it up....the weather down here can be too nice!

I feel like a pud for even hesitating at doing 1200 miles lol...The spring bash sounds great, but I don't want to wait that long to pick it up....the weather down here can be too nice!
well be careful... cold roads can be bad news...

You can do it...just take your time and you'll have a blast :beerchug:

Thanks guys...if I don't see any big storms in the long term weather forcast, then I hope to get 'er done in 2 weeks. I'll bring the camera along to record the trip....

order a tourmaster heated jacket liner about 160 bucks that way you dont have to bulk up so much. they are windproof wich will be a very nice comfort for you. take it easy and enjoy the ride. i will pray for your safe trip.i ride in the 30s all the time and it is not a big deal as long as your careful. good luck

order a tourmaster heated jacket liner about 160 bucks that way you dont have to bulk up so much. they are windproof wich will be a very nice comfort for you. take it easy and enjoy the ride. i will pray for your safe trip.i ride in the 30s all the time and it is not a big deal as long as your careful. good luck

Thx bro, I can always use the prayers anytime! I plan on heading back down I85, then 65 to 10...Long as things don't ice up, I should be fine.

I flew to NC from TX and bought mine. Was home the next night. I was surprised at how comfortable the bike was. Just do it. You'll have a blast.

layers.. layers.. layers... make sure you stay hydrated.. and stop over night as that drive is horrrribly long. Stop for gas every 100 miles and you shouldn't get too uncomfortable.. but imho.. this is not a nice drive for the winter!

in my opinion it all hinges on your gear, if you have the right equipment to get the job done then i sy no problem, I would highly recommend a medium/large tank bag for the trip, i only say this because your gonna want your tunes and other essentials right up front with YOU. the weather conditions would be an issue for me since my bike has never seen rain. i just dont like the idea of running into snow or rain, it all spells disaster imho. If you go, BECAREFUL PLEASE

Back