The Journey of a lifetime and a request to the .org

Jimshog

Donating Member
Registered
To my dot org brethren, the father of a friend of mine wishes to embark on a journey and it’s kind of crazy… His name is Malcom, he’s 70, he’s spent the past 26 years aboard a sailboat touring the world and now he wishes to see parts of the world that he missed. His intent is to travel to Santiago Chile, purchase a bike, and travel to the cape of South America then back to Santiago and from there travel to Alaska! His only biking experience is traveling in the mid 60’s aboard a Lambretta scooter with his wife from England to Russia… Obviously travelling two up on a scooter from England to Russia is a non-trivial excursion but it’s no real motorcycling experience as we know it… So, my question to the .org is twofold; what bike would be best for this type of travel given his age and lack of experience, and, what training could he get in the next few weeks in the metro DC area to fortify him on this epic quest? I’d really like to show him what the .org is about and expose him to the wonder of our world-wide network of knowledge and experience with the hope that there are folks out there that have positive suggestions that could help make this once in a lifetime journey a success. Let me add to this that he intends to spend the next two years traversing our two continents, camping at night, and he is in no rush to finish the journey. He says he wants to go slowly, with the wind in his face, smelling and experiencing the countryside and savoring the experience. I don’t know about the rest of you but I’m certain that this is something that I and many of you would like to have the time, and wherewithal to do ourselves. So, please give me any constructive input you deem fit to share regarding bikes, training, and overall encouragement so that I can pass it along to Malcom. I respect and appreciate your thoughts and the generosity of your time.
Thanks to all.
-Jim

Pappy just purchased a new ride and I have not heard how he likes it. What is he interested in?

Go to advrider.com that is what that webpage is all about. These guys do some insane trips. There is a guy who only uses Suzuki Vstrom 650...aluminum panniers, world wide support (extrememly important), excellent gas mileage (i owned one), upright sitting style...and that 650 has plenty of power and excellent handling...and he has been all over this planet with him and his lady on another dl650. It is one of the best bikes I have ever riden in my life...it really takes a beating....and it is 60-70 percent cheaper than the bmw r1200 gs...which is also one heck of a machine but seriously overpriced...2hip

Warchild would be a great source for recommendations in this. I'll send the link to him by PM.

Good luck to all involved. What a great adventure~

Jim, I hope your friend has really given this some thought. If he goes for it, I wish him the best of luck, and a safe journey.

I have a friend in Chile, and he constantly prods me to come and visit. Your buddy's idea makes me pretty jealous.

I think that he should give himself some time to train, and prepare for such a vigorous journey. Lots of practice, more practice, and yet more practice.

Just a suggestion, and I think its a safer alternative. It's a little less ambitious, but it does target some of the destinations that your friend wants to explore. Aerostich runs tours, and it just so happens that there are two upcoming events that include Patagonia, and Tierra Del Fuego (man, I'd love that one myself!).

Honestly, I doubt that your friend would meet the requirements for safety reasons. He's going to need some road time under his belt.

For info, check out: Aerostich Motorcycle Tours | Aerostich Tours - Motorcycle Tours:: or call 1-877-722-8472.

Keep us posted!

BMW R1200 GS adventure FTW...
It might be expensive but is built and proven for this type of motoring.

I would recommend against the Beemer K1200 Adventure series.... we want the man to finish this ride, don't we? :poke: :laugh:

I would strongly and emphatically recommend a fairly light dual-sport... his intended path will see many poor roads, and frequently no roads at all. He'll need a bike that can readily handle such abuse, yet be light enough to pick up when things Go Bad.

So... something along the lines of a KLR650, or perhaps something this Honda XR 650:

2005-Honda-XR650L-small.jpg

I would recommend against the Beemer K1200 Adventure series.... we want the man to finish this ride, don't we? :poke: :laugh:

I would strongly and emphatically recommend a fairly light dual-sport... his intended path will see many poor roads, and frequently no roads at all. He'll need a bike that can readily handle such abuse, yet be light enough to pick up when things Go Bad.

So... something along the lines of a KLR650, or perhaps something this Honda XR 650:

2005-Honda-XR650L-small.jpg

Well, you definitely can't lose with a Honda like that one.. The only thing I wonder is how good is long distance comfort in that saddle and how much can it carry bungied onto it?

I would think the KTM adventure 990 would be a logical choice. It has won the dakar rally 6 consecutive times. The dakar is the most grueling rally in the world. Not that your friend would use it in this manner but its dependability has been proven. Here's a pic.

ktm-990-adventure-orange.jpg

If I had extra money and wanted to take a trip like your buddy I would definitely buy this bike. It's basically a factory race bike, like most of ktm's models.

A few weeks dosen't seem near enough time to plan and prepare for a trip like that. First thing to do would see whats availible in Chilie, bike and accessory wise. Might check into the registration aspects too amoung a multitude of other logistic considerations. Crossing international borders w/o a plated vehicle may get tricky. Assuming he's buying new. Going to need to speak some Spanish.

Set up some way points, places he knows he can get parts and money and lay up at if he needs too. Places friends and family can expect him to show up at along the way.

He should get a bike that fits him well for that kind of journey.

I will assume $$$$ isn't an issue if he just spent 26 years sailing.

He should also buy a good automatic pistol and bring a riding partner with him.

South & Central America could get a little unfriendly to a solo gringo rider.

P.S. this guy better get some cycle riding skills quick because he is going to be riding some of the deadliest roads in the world.

http://autos.aol.com/article/general/v2/_a/worlds-most-dangerous-roads/20081006155909990001

Last edited:
1) Watch the "Long Way..." movies and then imagine doing the trips w/o a convoy of support staff and a documentary crew.

2) Take every riding course and ride every likely candidate bike he can between now and launch day. Nothing beats practice and experience.

3) Contact On-Star to work out support and possibly be a sponsor.

1) Watch the "Long Way..." movies and then imagine doing the trips w/o a convoy of support staff and a documentary crew.

2) Take every riding course and ride every likely candidate bike he can between now and launch day. Nothing beats practice and experience.

3) Contact On-Star to work out support and possibly be a sponsor. ;)

Thanks to all who responded on this. I know his plan is abstract and risky especially given the known issues with his lack of riding experience and the relative lack of safety in some of the countries he intends to visit. I tend to agree that more experience is better. I also agree that a dual sport bike is the way to go but carrying his gear will be an issue, especially the cooking and camping gear for such an extended trip. Two years on the road! I can’t get my mind around that, I mean imagine not having a place to call your own and living like a gypsy for years at a time. There is some element of it that is appealing, especially the challenges to be overcome with weather and long-distance riding. But, the Spartan-like minimalistic existence imposed by not being able to carry everything one will need makes the journey daunting, at least to me. Many thanks again to those who responded, I’ll share your comments with Malcom.
-Jim

Back