knocking on start up

Tbusa08

Registered
hey my buddies bike knocks on start up but after its running it goes away and has been going on for a year now, and wondering if its a rod knock or somthing that is going to need to be fixed

could be rod knock or the crank bouncing around... I would get an oil pressure gauge on it if he is worried.. could be a weak oil pump, stuck relief valve, loose bearings...

Heck could be the clutch basket even.... need a trained "ear" for it..

thanks for the info it sounds like its coming from the right side of the bike i was thinking it was a rod knock in cylinder four but after riding it it goes away

Had something close to that after my '07 season at the strip-300+ passes.During teardown I found the problem,both outer crank journals on the bottom half of the cases were starting to show damage to the bearing surface. Be worth checking out before things get exspensive. To replace the entire bottom end, rods and mains, was less than $250 including gaskets

bearing2.jpg

bearing1.jpg

it happens just idling and riding but when it reaches operating temp it goes away but you can slightly hear it still but not as loud

Does it happen when the clutch is engaged, or only when it's disengaged?

I also hear that kind of noise someting like knocking in cold start up and when the clutch is engaged the sound dissapperes.
When the temp begins to high no need to engage the clutch also.

Is this regular for busa cause my previous bike 2006 600f was not have that kind of habit.

Busa is only 3350 km on the clock also

Have an opnion or experiment?

Very normal. These bikes make some noise during start and warm up.

Oh, and welcome to the org.

Mine does it too. Seems to be normal. Really sounds like a knock though... Stealership says all is normal. Only does it on cold startup, and the colder it is, the louder it is!:whistle:

Back