need recommendations for starter bike - ninja 250?

BayBusa

Registered
here's the situation:  wife (26) loves being on the back of the busa, especially acceleration and twisties, and is coming along on more group rides. She has never been on a bike by herself. She is a good car driver with a heavy foot and has good anticipation and speed control. She refuses to drive our boxster because it has a (short shifter) stick shift. Rather she drives the SUV (hemi) as if it were a boxster.

Looking at starter bikes, she picked the ninja 250, for looks and reviews, but is afraid it might be a bit slow. The ninja 500 is twice the power output and might fit the bill better. I suggested to drive the 250 for a season and then look for a 650 or so. I think that the 250 can be a real confidence builder. Not for commuting, only for weekend fun.

She's 5'8 and 115 lbs.

Anyone can speak up regarding their own experience? What about bike choice? - all suggestions are welcome. Also, she has to get her license first, through the safety classes. Ok to sign up without prior practice?

It will be slow, but if she likes it that is important as well. No sense getting her a SV650 if she's already decided to hate it.

Resale should be good on it, so if she's ready to upgrade later you shouldn't lose much.

It will be slow, but if she likes it that is important as well.  No sense getting her a SV650 if she's already decided to hate it.

Resale should be good on it, so if she's ready to upgrade later you shouldn't lose much.
Where does it say she hated SVs?  I reread it and still can't find that reference.  Anyway, my daughter (26) also recently got into wanting her own and we looked at the 250s.  See their redline?  Its not that they're slow, its that to make them go, you have to ride em like a two stroke keeping the revs in the higher ranges.  

My daughter picked out a used 03 SV650 (first yr for FI) with 10,000 on it and loves it.  Cost less than a new 250 and she won't want to trade it off in a year. Remember, a 650 is a 40ci motor, the same size as the original Triumph Bonneville but with a 6 speed tranny and EFI. Plenty of power without the intimidation. Nearly a straight up riding position too. She commutes to college about 70 miles round trip daily.  Its got Pilot Roads on it and corners great!

DSC01454__Medium_.JPG

I never said she hated it. I said IF she hates it.

I was just trying to make my point that sometimes its better to get them what they want instead of talking them into something they don't want.
winkold.gif

I just had this discussion about a Ninja 250 (scooter with fairings) on my muscle car forum.
It's only got 30hp.....it can't get out of it's OWN way much less get a rider
out of a tight spot when need be.

I think it's a scooter with fairings personally. I'd look at something
slightly more powerful for safety reasons and escape factoring.

Get her an older R6 or something along those lines.....they can be had
for the same pricerange and they will have 4x the power.

I'm looking at the 250 also, the '08s look alot better than the previous years. that way in 2 years we can give it to our daughter for her 15th b-day. ( in Tx, a 15 yr old can get liscenced for a 250 and below.)

I just had this discussion about a Ninja 250 (scooter with fairings) on my muscle car forum.

Sorry I have to disagree with you here not all first time riders need the extra power they are trying to learn how to ride and get the basic's down and if they are in a tight spot and give the bike the big chicken wing that could just add to the bad situation. The Wife and I have been looking for a 250 or 500 for her as well and I think both bikes are great for beginner riders they are allot more forgiving then the R6, 600RR, GSXR600, and the ZX-6R. Now the SV650 might be a good option as well because it is a V-Twin has good Torque but not as much HP and is a well balanced bike as well.

My wife (26) liked the 250. She also liked the busa. Only problem is she's only 5' tall. Told her we can get a used bike to learn on probaly 650, then we can look at somthing else. Doubt she will be able to handle a busa.

Get the 500, it will be easy to learn on, resale easy for you, and she will be able to ride for a year or two without having to upgrade. If she is interested in the SV's, check em out. My wife is new rider and fell in love with the Katana's. We bought her 06 of the showroom and we wont have to upgrade for years. Good luck bro, riding with ones spouse is about is good as it gets, we have so much fun.
beerchug.gif

Katana was the route I was looking at for my wife. More upright, forgiving and a good first sportbike. Now if the wife was not into sportbikes, I would look towards the sv or cruiser even.

Suzukis 550 doesn't look too bad as a starter either, I just think my wife would out grow it soone than a Katana.

Get the 500, it will be easy to learn on, resale easy for you, and she will be able to ride for a year or two without having to upgrade. If she is interested in the SV's, check em out. My wife is new rider and fell in love with the Katana's. We bought her 06 of the showroom and we wont have to upgrade for years. Good luck bro, riding with ones spouse is about is good as it gets, we have so much fun.
beerchug.gif
Did your wife have riding time prior to a the "showroom" Katana?

A new bike seems scary for a new rider. I know my wife will drop her first bike a time or two. Really everyone will or has dropped a bike when learning.
sad.gif

Maybe a naked bike like the sv would be better, not as much plastic to damage.
dunno.gif

My wife is on the fence about getting her own. She likes having me do all the driving for now.

super.gif
AM -->
Aceshigh @ Jun. 19 2008 said:
1452816[/ATTACH] AM]

Sorry I have to disagree with you here not all first time riders need the extra power they are trying to learn how to ride and get the basic's down and if they are in a tight spot and give the bike the big chicken wing that could just add to the bad situation. The Wife and I have been looking for a 250 or 500 for her as well and I think both bikes are great for beginner riders they are allot more forgiving then the R6, 600RR, GSXR600, and the ZX-6R. Now the SV650 might be a good option as well because it is a V-Twin has good Torque but not as much HP and is a well balanced bike as well.
I agree. A 250 is a good starter bike. I am not a big kawi fan, but I was looking at the new 250 for my wife. they are only 3500 and resale would be close to what you paid for it. and besides the new styling of the kawi 250 makes them not feel like they are on a starter bike. Also roaring toyz makes custom accesories for them and yosh has a slip on. Also in 2 yrs my son would be able to ride it
laugh.gif

<center>
<a href="http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l22/06hayabusa/Ninja_250_2.jpg" target="_blank">
th_Ninja_250_2.jpg
<a href="http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l22/06hayabusa/ninja_250.jpg" target="_blank">
th_ninja_250.jpg
<a href="http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l22/06hayabusa/ninja_250_3.jpg" target="_blank">
th_ninja_250_3.jpg
</center>

super.gif

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
here's the situation:  wife (26) loves being on the back of the busa, especially acceleration and twisties, and is coming along on more group rides. She has never been on a bike by herself. She is a good car driver with a heavy foot and has good anticipation and speed control. She refuses to drive our boxster because it has a (short shifter) stick shift. Rather she drives the SUV (hemi) as if it were a boxster.[/quote]

Try asking your wife when she's in the back of you and you are riding together is she likes the exhilaration or the acceleration and twisties or if it's the comfort that the busa provides.

Not trying to sway you or her away from bikes but there is an alternative. Have you thought about the suzuki 650 scooter? It also has automatic or manual transmission selectable from the console.

Picture

Don't laugh guys. LOL a friend of mine at work uses this for his commute every day to work. I asked him if I can give it a whirl and he was totally cool about it. I took it around the parking lot and around the block and I will say that the ride is more comfortable then my busa. I could take turns on it without problems. (no knee scrapers or anywhere close to that) but I felt pretty secure. I could roll the throttle and feel the bike pull me into the seat. No rocket launch or anything but it felt nice.

It had trunk space to put a dead body in the back. You're wife wouldn't have any problems tossing a purse, make up, lunch, hell you could do grocery shopping on it!  
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

Lol just a thought......:)

thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

For my wife's first bike, shes going with either a Shadow Spirit or the Shadow VLX. They fit her perfectly at ~5'5" and 100 lbs. Anything less than a 500 I think someone is going to grow out of within a week. Even though these two are a 600 and a 750, I don't think that's really relative. It's like calling my Harley which is a 1340 more powerful than my Busa 1300. Not quite...

Ninja 250's heavy, too.

Two pounds heavier than the '08 Gixxer 750. True story.

I'm thinking something with more power would be better for her to start with.

She's got the 'idea' about how riding works, so it won't take her long to want to kick that 250 to the curb. Why waste the time & money? Indeed, why hassle?

She could easily learn to be gentle with the throttle (like everyone does with a 'busa).

It's more often people's inability to regulate available power that gets them in trouble.

beerchug.gif
Did your wife have riding time prior to a the "showroom" Katana?

A new bike seems scary for a new rider. I know my wife will drop her first bike a time or two. Really everyone will or has dropped a bike when learning.
sad.gif

Maybe a naked bike like the sv would be better, not as much plastic to damage.
dunno.gif

My wife is on the fence about getting her own. She likes having me do all the driving for now.
She has time on dirt bikes and such. She also took the safety course and loves her bike. She has dropped it on both sides from a stand still. I am not convinced that she would have been happier with anything else. If you purchase a new bike, put some frame sliders on it. I just talked to Juli about this very subject and she is glad we bought the new bike. I lowered it an inch in the back and 3/4 inch in the front. Its a 750, but still very light. It will be a while before she outgrows it. I know some may think the 750 is too powerful, but the Katana is a very mild mannered bike and you really have to get the rev's up to get em going. The last time we rode she finally got into it and let the Yosh pipe rasp out, made me so proud!

flame me if you want but I'd recommend a buel blast. Its a 500cc bike, but has decent looks and is a good starter bike. Won't break much if you drop it and they have 2 seat heights
cool.gif
The other buel lightning I think has a low seat and is a 1200cc bike. Cool stuff if they like them.

flame me if you want but I'd recommend a buel blast.  Its a 500cc bike, but has decent looks and is a good starter bike.  Won't break much if you drop it and they have 2 seat heights
cool.gif
 The other buel lightning I think has a low seat and is a 1200cc bike.  Cool stuff if they like them.
Thats was MrsGrumpy rides, I think she like it.

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Try asking your wife when she's in the back of you and you are riding together is she likes the exhilaration or the acceleration and twisties or if it's the comfort that the busa provides.[/quote] Exhiliration, you should see her in a go-kart.

Not trying to sway you or her away from bikes but there is an alternative. Have you thought about the suzuki 650 scooter? It also has automatic or manual transmission selectable from the console.[/quote] Thanks for the responses, yes she did look at the Burgman but thought of it more as a commuter than as a 'fun' bike.

The 250 looks like a bigger bike with the fairings, at least on the pictures - we'll check out the showrooms next.

She could easily learn to be gentle with the throttle (like everyone does with a 'busa).  

It's more often people's inability to regulate available power that gets them in trouble. [/quote] I think she likes the SV650S more than the SV650, but she seems reluctant to take on too much power too soon. I'm sure she will be easy on the throttle.

If you purchase a new bike, put some frame sliders on it.[/quote] She already suggested that she could practice on the Busa since it has frame-sliders
smile.gif
We talked her out of it.
l_on_bike.jpg

Back