Just Headers

GA_boi

Donating Member
Registered
I bought the muzzy full system (SS) and decided about a month ago while changing the oil to take the mid pipe and can off just to see how it sounded. I like the way it sounds and really like the increased power I got. Someone said something about burning up my valves or exhaust manifold or something. Will running just my headers hurt my bike in the long run?? The headers dump right under the front part of the rear brake. Anyone know about this?

For street ridding it's not a good setup. Even for track, unless you've tunned the fuel/ign it's not a good setup. At part throttle and decel you're gonna get alot of cracking and popping. You'll be down on torque too.

What is the cracking and popping? As far as the plastics it dumps outside the fairing and I havent noticed any melting or warping. Thanks for the info.
thumb_up.gif

I have been running just header on the bike. I was told on the Hayabusa stock header,
there is much restriction in the header in regards to the X collector. And that the bike will
be fine like this. It does have SOME backpressure, not at loss of all. Like the loudness, but
dislike the power decrease with this. Major torque is lost by doing this though. I will get a
system to correct this. Anyone want to donate a system to me?
firedevil.gif

I've done it before out but it wasn't because I wanted to. Akropovic quit making carbon clamps and it was AWHILE before I could find a replacement so I just went canless. It sounds cool if you're from the south like you and I are but riding in formation would suck for whoever is behind you. I wouldn't recommend doing it if you didn't have to. The cracking and popping is the bike backfiring (I think) from lack of back pressure. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. The LOSS of power outweighs the weight savings.

Been there, done that. It sounds really cool and aggressive, for a limited amount of time. After a while it is too loud and doesn't have any stealth at all. If anything, you will probably not hit any deer that way but it eventually gets annoying. If you ride long distances, it becomes unbearable at the two hour point.

Thanks for the info. I think it might be time to put the rest of the pipe back on. My room mate is gonna love you guys. Somehow he always ends up riding on my right and just behind me.

Been running straight header for a few months now with map. If the bike is set up right you will not be popping or experiencing any other issues. N You get use to the noise even. I put around town keeping it under 4,000 rpm and it's not even that loud. I have been pulled over several times for other issues, but not once have the cops even once mentioned anything about the pipe.

100_0669.jpg

Im runing yosh pipes took the muffler of and added a 10 inch turn out. no popping- sounds wikked! and for sure makes more power, banging 2nd gear it wheelies way bigger than with the mufler!
firedevil.gif

The popping is from fresh air getting sucked in on decel.....there's more to it, but that's about it. That's why you take the pairvalve off, or do the "marble mod".

I bought the muzzy full system (SS) and decided about a month ago while changing the oil to take the mid pipe and can off just to see how it sounded. I like the way it sounds and really like the increased power I got. Someone said something about burning up my valves or exhaust manifold or something. Will running just my headers hurt my bike in the long run?? The headers dump right under the front part of the rear brake. Anyone know about this?
you end up looking (and sounding) like an azzhat... you will also draw the attention of every LEO within earshot and you will not be doing much twisting of the throttle...

Other riders (well except for maybe a few kids) will not want to ride around you for the same reasons above.. if they want to get a bit spirited on the ride, your bike will be bad apple..

save it for the race track if you need the racket... besides, everyone knows what the bike is capable of, what fun is it if everytime you whack the throttle, you draw so much attention..

More power? not unless the bike is tuned for it (and then only minor gains) most of the "power" is just perceived due to the noise.. I would be willing to put that claim to the test at the race track...

Back