Front brake noise- loose pad

lambretta man

Donating Member
Registered
Hoping someone can help. Ever since I replaced my stock brake pads with EBC 188HH pads there has been a clicking noise coming from the caliper. After some investigation, I discovered the pads are horizontally loose (direction the wheel turns) in the caliper. I can't imagine how they could have been installed incorrectly. I reattached the pressure plate on the top. Is there something missing? They are the correct pads for the year and model of my Busa.

that's strange. Do they appear loose under the dust cover??? I've heard EBC's make a ton of noise, but more squeling, not ticking. Did you put anti squeal on the back of the pads?? Did you rebleed the blakes??

Oh yeah, brakes bled, new lines, everything is in top notch condition on my 06. I have searched this site and found several links to similar problems. However, there is never a solution!
I can physically move the pads back and forth horizontally with my fingers as they are installed in the caliper on the bike with the dust cover in place.
The clicking is very noticable and quite worriesome.

No pressure on the pistons on that side of the caliper. The pads should be always making slight contact to the rotor. And EBC HH pads are quite noisy.

I pretty much only hear it when slowing to a stop with the clutch in. Can't hear it over the exhaust while riding, but I'm sure it still does it.

Yeah, a little.
Had them by themselves on my old 04, but I switched lines and pads on the 03. If yours don't tick, they will still make a squeaking noise.

Have same problem. I was told that GSX uses a "floating" system which makes them click when first applying contact. Not sure if it's true but haven't flipped her front side yet either. Last year a member here, katman, did some front brake work and flipped her though. Might give him a shout and see if it was pad related.

beerchug.gif

My EBC's do the same thing and I know everything is installed properly and working correctly, kinda like a very small clacking or slapping sound at slower speeds when you can hear them when brakes are not being applied.

Have same problem. I was told that GSX uses a "floating" system which makes them click when first applying contact. Not sure if it's true but haven't flipped her front side yet either. Last year a member here, katman, did some front brake work and flipped her though. Might give him a shout and see if it was pad related.

beerchug.gif
I remember someone flipping after doing brake work, but can't remember who.
I think that the problem was said that they overfilled the brake res.

disclaimer:
the word "you" is not intended towards anyone in particular...
easybutton.png

when you release the brake lever the pistons in the caliper retract slightly...this is common because of the different style rotors used... semi & full floaters.
full floaters can appear warped if pressed the right way... the brakes have to accommodate after market rotors that people (racers) will (most likely) replace the stock ones with.
these "tolerances" can create some unintended nuisances.
enough of a gap up/down & in/out also helps with keeping debris/dust/rocks and other items from getting trapped and causing a fatal error.

notice how little pressure on the lever it takes to apply friction to the rotor...
this extra space also helps keep the rotors from prematurely wearing the pad in an uneven way.

as for anyone "flipping" their ride because of the pads moving...they are clueless. When traveling "at speed", and the brakes are applied...the pad is immediately drawn to the top of the caliper due to the rotation of the wheel. Besides, the distance the pad "might" move is nearly 1/16th ~1/8th of an inch overall (top to bottom).

it's not dangerous...nor will it adversely affect your braking....in fact, if you can hear it while riding, then you need to put on a helmet...or an exhaust, because you are aren't paying attention to the important things around you that could kill you.
winkold.gif

I may have found a solution to the constant clicking problem. Remove the pressure plate at the top of the caliper. Bend it outward slightly then reattach it to the caliper. The bending will cause more downward pressure on the pads thus allieviating any annoying clicking or pad rattling at low speed or going over bumps. Seems to work for me.

I may have found a solution to the constant clicking problem. Remove the pressure plate at the top of the caliper. Bend it outward slightly then reattach it to the caliper. The bending will cause more downward pressure on the pads thus allieviating any annoying clicking or pad rattling at low speed or going over bumps. Seems to work for me.

had the same problem with ebc pads ,got so fed up with it i replaced them with oe ones ,they started doing it to,as they lasted only 4k i put the ebc ones back ,did use a small amount of spray glue to the back of the pad to make em stick to the piston ,probably not a good idea but it worked for about 2k and its back again,

My OEM's made the click. Sprayed them with brake cleaner, the same crap I cleaned my chicken strip with, and the click went away...

Back