Need help! 99 swapping to 04le...

djcapita

Registered
I need help from someone who has swapped tanks from 99-00 to newer tank with internal pump. what is it gonna take to get this done. I am hearing it's nightmare. My bike shop around here says I'm looking at a $1000 bill to get it done, that I need to swap throttle bodies and ecu and harness. Please tell me I can easily do this myself. I have all the stuff from both a 99 and the tank and pump from an 04. Thanks, Dan

WOW thats a new one on me,,, Im sure someone on here will beable to help you ....

Oh yeah,,,, Welcome to the ORG.
beerchug.gif

Welcome to the org. Please be patient, someone will chime in and help you out.
beerchug.gif

If you swap all that stuff, remember to swap in a newer stator ring. With all the parts at hand it should be a bolt-on and go.

Answered by the folks at SuzukiHayabusa.Org

dragzooks@indy

On the early harness theres a single plug going to the tank (two conductor)

it has yellow/with black stripe
and a black w/white stripe

those are the fuel gauge wires

then the sub-harness on the throttle bodies has a single plug coming off it that goes to the early EXTERNAL fuel pump

yellow w/red stripe (+12volts and thicker gauge wire)
black w/white stripe (ground)

the late model fuel pump has a single brown connector with 4 wires

these colors are (on the pump side connector)
yellow w/red stripe (+12 volts in to pump)
black w/white stripe (ground for fuel pump)
red w/black stripe (fuel level gauge)
black w/ light green stripe (fuel level gauge)

so...........

the fuel pump connection should be self explanatory (same colors mate up)

the fuel level gauge SHOULD go as such (although this doesnt concede to normal suzuki patterns)
yellow w/black stripe (early harness) to black w/green stripe on late model fuel pump
black w/ white stripe (early harness) to red w/ black stripe (late model fuel pump)

i verified on the early harness that the black w/white stripe has continuity with ground
and the red/w black stripe on the late model also has continuity with ground

to be sure... try this way first and reverse if gauge doesnt function correctly (removing ECU may be good idea before tryng the fuel gauge polarity)
the pump wires i am positive about

Pro Machining
Ask the question; "dragzooks
If I remember correctly the 99-00 has a return fuel line to the tank and the 01-current does not.
Does this matter?
Can you just plug the return fuel line when putting on the new tank?
I could use those wiring colors for the new fuel pump and what colors they match up to if you have them.
Thanks Jack"

dragzooks@indy

Answers, "the fuel return line comes off the pump on early models

so when switching to the later tank and internal pump there is no longer a return line (the regulator and return is internal to the pump)"

i think you will need following parts...
13473-35F01
15810-24FA0
these should get it connected to the fuel rail.

as for needing a new ecu and harness... i have no idea if the plugs are the same and the same operations between years. i would say just try out what you have, get it connected and see if it works first, then buy the stuff as you need it.

oh ya.. and the part -35F01, you can unscrew your fuel rail off of the TB and take off the peice that is connecting the fuel pump and the fuel rail together. then im sure you know that u gotta take the pump off of the TB assy. then just swap the part out on the fuel rail and put it back together. then your new line will run from that fitting to the pump.

Back