Kickstand Switch

jchestnut

Registered
Not sure if this belongs here but here goes. I installed a new kickstand on my bike because it's been lowered and stretched so I needed a shorter one. Anyway, now the problem is that under vibration, it comes down and off of the switch that makes the bike think that the kickstand is up which causes it to cut off. I was wondering if there was a way to bypass the switch. I looked in my repair manual and it looks like you can unplug it, which I think I have done but now the bike won't start. I think it's my battery but not sure. Sorry for rambling but if anyone can help, I would truly appreciate it. Thanks.

I think you can just cut the switch off and wire the two wires together and it will think its up ( had to do this on my 97 zx11, sould be the same on Suzuki )

If you unplug the switch, you will need to put a 'jumper' between the two wires, otherwise, the ECU 'thinks' the kickstand is down; hence the bike not starting.

If you put it in Neutral, does it start?

If you unplug the switch, you will need to put a 'jumper' between the two wires, otherwise, the ECU 'thinks' the kickstand is down; hence the bike not starting.

+1. If you unplugged it, it won't start. You either need to plug it back in or jump the circuit, bypassing the switch completely. All the switch does is close the contacts and therefore connect the two wires. With it unplugged the wires are never connected. Run a jumper, or cut the connector off and use a water sealed heat shrinkable but connector to connect the wires and you'll be good to go!

Thanks guys. I feel kinda stupid. Just plugged the switch back in and it started right up. Glad because I just purchased the battery in May of last year so I wasn't looking forward to buying another one. Not really electrical inclined so not too sure about trying the wire cutting thing so maybe i'll take it to someone who knows more than me. Thanks again.

Maybe someone on here can give you a part number for a cheap plug and a friend could rig up a shorting plug for you. Unplug the switch and plug in the shorting plug.

beerchug.gif

Not sure if this belongs here but here goes.  I installed a new kickstand on my bike because it's been lowered and stretched so I needed a shorter one. Anyway, now the problem is that under vibration, it comes down and off of the switch that makes the bike think that the kickstand is up which causes it to cut off.  I was wondering if there was a way to bypass the switch.  I looked in my repair manual and it looks like you can unplug it, which I think I have done but now the bike won't start.  I think it's my battery but not sure.  Sorry for rambling but if anyone can help, I would truly appreciate it. Thanks.
I can't say anymore on jumping the wires it was mentioned 6 times allready,I would find out why the kickstand is coming down too. You don't want that thing going down while riding.Make sure you have a proper spring on It.

Sounds as if the spring on your new stand is either missing or not doing it's job properly?

I'm not sure it's a good idea to bypass your safety switch? That is the only mechanism you have to keep from riding off with the stand down. Results could be messy?

Thanks for the info guys and it's funny that you all should mention the spring because I thought about that last night. The new kickstand didn't come with a spring so I used my old one and either I didn't put it back on correctly or I need a shorter one with more tension. I too am not comfortable with bypassing the switch so i'll be looking in to the spring. Thanks again.

did you put BOTH springs in,there are two,with one it will come down a bit.the short one goes inside the bigger one

No big deal in bypassing the switch. No harm will come by doing it unless you forget the bike is in gear and you try to start it while the stand is down. If you cut them and splice them together it will take the kickstand switch out of the equation all together. I would however make sure your stand has the right springs though... you dont want it coming down while your riding.

darn my reply didn't post...
guns.gif

I wouldn't mess with bypassing the switch. It's there for a good reason while street ridding. As mentioned check the springs. If they're not able to keep the kickstand up then head on out to home depot and find another extension spring with a higher lbs per inch rate.
beerchug.gif

Thanks guys. I have both springs in but I am going to check how I have them this weekend. And if that doesn't work, then i'll go to Home Depot or Lowe's. Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm just a gal trying to do a little repairs myself. I'll try anything once! If I tear it up, then I can always get someone to fix it!
laugh.gif

just curious... who's kickstand do you have? Mine's an aftermarket and when I tightened up the mounting bolt it was pretty darn tight. You might even be able to get away with tightening the bolt that mounts the kickstand arm.

It's an aftermarket kickstand. I ordered it from a company called Bikers Supply. Basically, he has cut a stock one. I have the bolt tightened pretty tight. I will look at the one for the kickstand arm. Thanks.

+1 If safety isn't a concern then you could just tape the switch itself so that the ECU thinks the kickstand is always up.

If you new kickstand is just a cut stock one, you have the springhooks in the wrong location. Or the guy making the stand didn't do his job right. The bolt that holds the stand on is shouldered, so tightening it tighter is pointless.

Back