Holding bike up to change "dog bones" "links"...?

JaviBUSA08

Registered
Hello,

I just got my new "dog bones/links" to drop my bike. Now I have worked on a million cars(I customize them)only a few times on bikes and this is the first time I do this. I was told to change the "dog bones/links" I had to suspend the rear of the bike in the air from the "subframe" which I assume is the rear of the bike on top of the tire where the passenger sits. What is the best way to do this? Anyone with experience? Thanks a million guys

Put a steel bar through through hole in the swing arm pivot, and then use that to support the back end with jackstands. I don't know if I'd be comfortable hanging it from the subframe, not the strongest part, you know.

True, but then from what I understand the tire needs to be lose in the sense that no weight should be on that part of the bike since I am removing the "dog bones/links". If I put a rod through I will remove the weight from the tire itself but not the axle and that area where it should be. Maybe I am misunderstanding but if you might know of anywhere I can see pictures maybe I can understand what you are saying. Thanks

I would suggest you get a rear stand to raise the back, once you have it up on the rear stand, use a jack and place it under the oil pan and lift the front end up, to take the tension of the rear shock, you can tell by shaking the rear shock.

It will be loose, then go ahead and swap out the dog bones. Hope this helps.

I would suggest you get a rear stand to raise the back, once you have it up on the rear stand, use a jack and place it under the oil pan and lift the front end up, to take the tension of the rear shock, you can tell by shaking the rear shock.

It will be loose, then go ahead and swap out the dog bones. Hope this helps.
NEVER EVER EVER LIFT OFF THE OIL PAN!!!!!

depends on your bike(and the exhaust your have etc). I have seen guys lift the rear and use jack stands to support the bike off the rear passenger peg brackets. It works.

Old way was to remove your belly pan, lift the bike and place a block where the centerstand mounts are. Not sure on the new busas, haven't worked on one yet.

Just so I can understand correctly basicly what I have to do is seperate the tire from the passenger seat area correct? Thats the direction I am going in?

True, but then from what I understand the tire needs to be lose in the sense that no weight should be on that part of the bike since I am removing the "dog bones/links". If I put a rod through I will remove the weight from the tire itself but not the axle and that area where it should be. Maybe I am misunderstanding but if you might know of anywhere I can see pictures maybe I can understand what you are saying. Thanks
Sixth picture down. As you can see the swing arm is suspended with no weight on it. The frame is supporting the weight. If you don't have a centerstand this is the correct way.
Don't lift the rear to high as the rear tire will drop when the dog bones are removed. An inch or so clearence beteween the floor and tire is enough.
https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=47;t=30985
DON'T lift the front by jacking up the oil pan.

cheers
ken

Yes. I used an engine hoist with a strap that I had around the underside of the bike (because I had the plastics off at the time), but I think you could safely lift the subframe the same way.

Sixth picture down. As you can see the swing arm is suspended with no weight on it. The frame is supporting the weight. If you don't have a centerstand this is the correct way.
Don't lift the rear to high as the rear tire will drop when the dog bones are removed. An inch or so clearence beteween the floor and tire is enough.
https://www.hayabusa.org/forums/?act=ST;f=47;t=30985
DON'T lift the front by jacking up the oil pan.

cheers
ken
PERFECT! I see what you are talking about now. Thanks that helped a bunch. Man a picture really is worth a thousand words!
ThumbsUp.gif
ThumbsUp.gif
ThumbsUp.gif
Thanks EVERYONE!

ThumbsUp.gif

ThumbsUp.gif

All I do is place a towel over the tail of the bike so you don't scratch the paint,then I place my tie downs around the passenger pegs (they have soft hook ends)and hook the other end to two big eyelets screwed to to beam it the garage(make sure there far enough apart so you don't put alot of pressure on the bodywork).Works preety well.Done a few tires and put the stock dog bones in my bike when I got it.Hope this helps.

Back