Air Box

GSXRFANN

FLUNKIE
Donating Member
Registered
I was just wondering what the sensor is that is screwed into the air box. I just use my bike for dragracing and was thinking about taking the airbox off of the bike to get more airflow. I don't know what that sensor is or how to bypass it. Has anyone ran thier bike without the airbox before? If so, did it help?

I think it's the APS (Air pressure sensor) You do need it. Some folks have removed it and inserted it in the ram air tube instead.

Unless you are exceeding the capacity of the air box, you are better off leaving it on. It will support in excess of 1450 CCs. Depending on your set up, modify the existing airbox.

I am not sure exactly what to do to the airbox. I know there is something that I can do to the flap, but not sure what it is. I know there is 2 different mods?? What are they?
Also, what about running without a filter?

Are you still stock bore?

If it is a strip bike that sees little or no street use, a race filter. If it never sees the street and you have a very clean track you run at, maybe pull the filter. There is not going to be much advantage over the race filter if it is not over oiled.

the only time I don't run a filter is when I have the large box mod installed for racing. My engine is bigger than stock though. For the street I restrict things a bit with the small box mod and use a BMC race filter.

someone who has the manual lying around can answer the question on which sensor is attached in the box... honestly I thought it was the IAT (intake air temp) sensor but that's just off the top of my head.
Some people rerout it to the left intake tube, some leave it alone, and some just zip tie it down to the harness.

I just finished doing the small mod. I sure hope it helps! I am going to put it back on the bike tonight and run it friday night. I hope I didn't just cut up my box for nothing..LOL!!

Back