Clutch or Trans. Problem

VABUSA1

Registered
Will shift up fine, but very hard to shift down, unless you bump the throttle a little. Some people told me a bent shifter fork, but I think its the clutch?
race.gif

Need alot more info. What year, has it been sitting what oil is in it, what mods, when was the last time the oil was changed , how many miles, what color?

yes i agree with gunny what color is it ? what kind of tires are u running and has ur anti freeze been checked lately so many details left out
jump9.gif
jump9.gif

jump9.gif

(VABUSA1 @ Sep. 06 2007,08:29) Will shift up fine, but very hard to shift down, unless you bump the throttle a little. Some people told me a bent shifter fork, but I think its the clutch?
race.gif
I would think its more of a clutch issue. Clutch is dragging a little so you have to match revs. Not as noticable on upshifts since you naturally ease off the throttle.

I was experiencing similiar shifting issues with my old 89 750. Oil change usually helped a little, but when the clutch finally started slipping and I replaced it, it also fixed the shifting issue.

Can you get into neutral easily AFTER you've come to a stop?

(JuiceSC @ Sep. 06 2007,11:15) Can you get into neutral easily AFTER you've come to a stop?
Good question to try to isolate it!

(JuiceSC @ Sep. 06 2007,09:40)
(Professor @ Sep. 06 2007,09:23)
(JuiceSC @ Sep. 06 2007,11:15) Can you get into neutral easily AFTER you've come to a stop?
Good question to try to isolate it!
I've owned bikes for over 3 decades. And was a mech for 15 years.  
wink.gif
no neutral is also hard to find, I use Mobil 1 cycle oil. Can the clutch be adjusted?

(VABUSA1 @ Sep. 06 2007,08:29) Will shift up fine, but very hard to shift down, unless you bump the throttle a little. Some people told me a bent shifter fork, but I think its the clutch?
race.gif
Iuse Mobil 1 cycle oil, its been about 1 year since changed but only about 300 miles. And neutral is hard to find if completely stoped.
mobil 1 oil, 8900 miles on the bike, hard to find neutral when completely stoped. Bike was stolen and left on its side overnight, when pulled up sat for about a minute and started, oil light took a while to go off.

Correct me if I'm wrong but having a bent shift fork causes it to slip out of gear, yes?

Clutch is hydraulic, may need to be blead/fluid changed. If bleeding it doesn't help, it could be that you need a clutch or hydrualic work. Sounds like your cluctch isn't fully disengaging.

If neutral is hard to find and the lever travel seems to be correct, it can be is usually warped steel clutch plates not allowing the clutch to fully release.

OEM clutch plates? The is pretty common in some aftermarket clutch plates.

Check them on a flat surface with a .004" feeler guage.

tounge.gif
check your oil level and the fluid in the clutch master...sounds like one or BOTH might be low
wink.gif

Vabusa1, i'm nearby up in Springfield,Va. Give me a ring. I'll be happy to look at or help you out with your Busa.

540-223-3785 Paul

(GMbusa @ Sep. 07 2007,12:07) Vabusa1, i'm nearby up in Springfield,Va. Give me a ring. I'll be happy to look at or help you out with your Busa.

540-223-3785 Paul
right now the bike is at Champion Motorsports in Sterling getting the bodypanels replaced. They are supposed to check the clutch and trans out and give me a call.

Have seen bikes with too much oil in them get "clutch creep" and downshift probs.
Don't know if this affects the busa tho

Eliminate one problem at a time with the easy stuff like clutch adjustment and go from there--- methinks it is the blinker fluid. Before you start spending money have someone who knows what the fark they are doing and check it if you are unsure of your own abilities.

(Big Red @ Sep. 07 2007,19:46) Eliminate one problem at a time with the easy stuff like clutch adjustment and go from there--- methinks it is the blinker fluid. Before you start spending money have someone who knows what the fark they are doing and check it if you are unsure of your own abilities.
Dont think the clutch is adjustable -- hydraulic

Back