Chicken Strips

Nekosohana

Registered
What exactly defines the "chicken strip"?

I did a ride last weekend that was fairly agressive (more so because I was 2 up) through the Tallimena Trail near Mena, AR. I have rub marks up to about a half inch from the walls of the tires, but I can't get much farther over than I already am.

So I am wondering what people call chicken strips. I don't kneeslide with someone on the back, and rarely ride solo anymore. I just can't seem to burn off that 1/2 inch of rub on the edge of the tire.

Have I at least cut into my chicken strips a little?

The un-used portion of your tire. The arrow points to the general area but in this guy's case, it might be about 80% of the tire.
laugh.gif

Oh ... btw ... I hear the name comes from other riders judging how big of a "chicken" you are. The wider the strip the bigger the chicken.

CS.JPG

Got it, never realized that it was a big enough term to have it's own Wiki.

And if the above picture is an example... I am screwed, that untoched portion of the tire is exactly where I am at. But then again, I don't ride track yet, so maybe that is OK.

all_coholic.gif

Hehe, you gotta be a little out of your mind (or have some AWESOME roads nearby) to get rid of your strips completely riding on the street.
Especially two up.
SHOCKED.gif

(Nekosohana @ Aug. 24 2007,14:23) And if the above picture is an example... I am screwed, that untoched portion of the tire is exactly where I am at.  But then again, I don't ride track yet, so maybe that is OK.

all_coholic.gif
It is. MOST riders have strips. Don't try to prove anything to anyone else. The only person who will pay for any damages to you and your bike if you low-side is YOU!

and on the Wiki: "It should be noted however that due to the handling capabilities of many modern motorcycles, and the vagaries of road condition, it is not advisable to exploit outer handling limits on public roads. On a closed race circuit, however, a rider is expected to use the edges of the tires on turns in order to stay competitive."

it's good to not worry about "Chicken strips" too much.

(kairles @ Aug. 24 2007,14:26) DAMN!!!! them I must have chicken breast peices
HAHAHA!
If that's the case (although I have no pic) my right breast is smaller than my left one.

That's normal ... isn't it?
all_coholic.gif

My strips are about 1/2" - 3/4" , not so bad for a bike that doesn't handle (so they say) because it's stretched 5.5" and lowered 2.5" in the rear and 1.25" in the front.

chicken.JPG

(NightCrawler @ Aug. 24 2007,11:28)
(Nekosohana @ Aug. 24 2007,14:23) And if the above picture is an example... I am screwed, that untoched portion of the tire is exactly where I am at.  But then again, I don't ride track yet, so maybe that is OK.

all_coholic.gif
It is. MOST riders have strips. Don't try to prove anything to anyone else. The only person who will pay for any damages to you and your bike if you low-side is YOU!
Oh, I wouldn't do it for anything more than personal satisfaction.  I know and done overassert my lean angles.

And there are a few really good roads here, you just have to know where to look.  And when they are not enough, the Mena rides are really good for some more challenging riding.

*** I guess I need to pony up for a track day. In my head, riding the outer rim of your wheel wall is like countersteering. It doesn't make a lick of sense in my mind when I explain it to someone, but I never seem to have a problem doing it. I wonder if this is the same thing.

Wow. I dont have any pictures but according to these definitions and pictures I am still riding on the entire chicken, including feathers.
all_coholic.gif

I do believe they're really called "chicken PLANKS" right guys from the Bash? Right? I should go update Wiki on that
laugh.gif

Once you have seen VA's chickin planks, you will realize that you have nothing to fear.

laugh.gif

(big jim @ Aug. 24 2007,11:37) Wow. I dont have any pictures but according to these definitions and pictures I am still riding on the entire chicken, including feathers.
all_coholic.gif
laugh.gif

(VaBusa @ Aug. 24 2007,11:38) I do believe they're really called "chicken PLANKS" right guys from the Bash? Right? I should go update Wiki on that
laugh.gif
Can I get some honey mustard with those!
jump9.gif

(MC MUSTANG @ Aug. 24 2007,14:41) Once you have seen VA's chickin planks, you will realize that you have nothing to fear.

laugh.gif
Ouch Shawn...that hurt...
laugh.gif

I offer up exhibit A...not so horrible...I'm no track girl you know!
poke.gif
wink.gif

ChickenStrips_sm.jpg

laugh.gif

Cripes...I shouldn't even respond in this thread as I live Florida...11 curves in 318 miles
crazy.gif

The Col. has a hot line to my cell in case he is running low of fowl.

Back