Arrested on Interstate 5

toastman

Registered
My buddy called me last night from Lynn County in Oregon. He has been on a bike holiday by himself through the States, and was on his way back through Oregon when he noticed the cherries behind him. He was nailed at 106 mph in a 60 mph.He said they had cuffed him,read him his rights, put in car and went back to the station, and bike towed. Was finger printed, spent some time in the cell...bla bla bla. Finally was released with a court date, and an $1100 fine.  Did I mention he is 45, and grey hair....so he doesn't portray the average squid on a bike in the officers eyes.
His question to me was, he wonders why he now has to go all the way back down to Oregon in October for a court date? He said why not just pay the fine, and be done with it?
Now I know we are all law abiding citizens on here and never speed, but maybe someone can explain his circumstances a little better to me, as our laws are little different here.

Cheers,

Tony

(toastman @ Aug. 22 2007,05:02) "Now I know we are all law abiding citizens on here and never speed"
Ummmm....errr.......uhhhh..........we are
rock.gif
............... is he referring to me
rock.gif
.............could someone clarify this for me
rock.gif
...he can't be talking about me, right ?...........
tounge.gif

AND HE'S DEFINITELY NOT TALKING ABOUT CHARLES.......
cool.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

Don't know about in Oregon but Alabama all "Reckless" driving tickets are a mandatory court appearance.

BECAUSE IT'S NOT A TRAFFIC OFFENSE !!! He was arrested ! so he must be present for the sentencing, if found guilty.

Atleast that's how it is around here, Delaware.

I'd say call and write the magistrate or judge in charge of the case, explain the situation in your case of the extreme mileage and hardship involved in appearing in court, clean driving record, and willingness to forgo the $1100 fine and provide the court with a written guilty plea.

I rec'd a speeding ticket in Calif with a court date 3 weeks later. Rather than appear, I wrote the judge a letter explaining my distance involved for me to appear and my willingness to plead guilty by mail and pay the fine. They agreed. It's really all a money thing.

If they won't let him off with the fine and guilty plea, and demand an appearance, your friend maybe should prepare for an extended stay there.

BTW, was he riding a Hayabusa?

Recently in Oregon a new law was passed that anyone in excess of 100 mph will have an $1100 fine, vehicle impounded, and arrested for reckless driving. Any time you are arrested, you have to appear in court, can't just write a letter.

I suggest he GET A LAWYER ! This could be ONLY the tip of a VERY VERY Bad Iceberg  
firedevil.gif

(DaCol. @ Aug. 22 2007,07:30) I suggest he GET A LAWYER ! This could be ONLY the tip of a VERY VERY Bad Iceberg  
firedevil.gif
Now then...

I was reading down through these posts and wondering when I was gonna see this sage advice!

GET AN ATTORNEY!

Worked wonders for OJ!
beerchug.gif

This is a criminal offense !!!!!! Did he have to post bond ?
either on his O.R., which if he has never been in trouble before I'm sure that's what it was ? He will most likely have to go at least twice, unless pleading guilty. If he's pleading not guilty, He should be able to do that through letter. ( In Delaware you can)

First thing he needs to do is get a LAWYER !!!

He's in BIG trouble with the law......and even BIGGER trouble with his insurance company. In the USA he'd probably be dropped and forced into an assigned risk pool. Bye bye Busa  
sad.gif

I live in Oregon.. The new law SUX!!!!

Anything over 85 MPH or more than 30 MPH over the posted speed limit is reckless driving. Mandatory court appearance and $800 + fine.....

Anything over 100 MPH is a felony reckless.... not typical "reckless driving" charges.  It carries automatic $1100 fine, MANDATORY 30-90 day license suspension, and they can impound your vehicle - even if they release you at the time. 

They don't always (it's not mandated at least) have to arrest and take the offender into custody and impound their vehicle.  This is left up to the arresting officer and local LEO departmental policies.  I've seen or heard of several people getting popped for 100+ and some get arrested, and others are released on their own recognisance.  ALL have a mandatory court appearance for arraignment (enter a plea). It is not handled as a typical traffic offense where you can enter a plea (or just send a check) by mail.

My guess is they hauled him in because he was from out of state (country) and wanted to guarantee his return by arresting and booking him into the local klink.

He really should get an attorney becuse this will be a mess.  Lynn county is very uptight and have "hanging judges" and often impose more than the minimum sentences.

That... or check what the fallout for him would be in Canada if he gave them the finger and just never came back to Oregon. *shrug* Perhaps Oregon won't have the right to place a hold on a driver's license from another country.

hate to say it but he better lawyer up on this one....

wouldn't hurt though to talk to the prosecuting attorney and ask a few questions though, and explain the situation being that he is not an Oregon resident might make a diff.

Get a lawyer. If nothing else, I believe the lawyer can represent you without you having to be present. Not 100% sure ...

I was going to make a comment about the LEO, but there is another side to this. I wonder if he did anything to provoke such harsh treatment...
argue.gif

GET A LAWYER involved...the sooner the better. Just dropped $2500 for a lawyer to get my charge knocked down to a wreckless driving...non-moto related.

+1000 on lawyer and get plea down to something else and may avoid court date.

Back