Hayabusa vs. GSXR 1000

tlrbandit

Registered
Well, my brother and I finally got the chance to run our bikes against each other. I have a stock 2006 Hayabusa and he has a stock 2007 GSXR 1000. We rode a 375 mile loop Saturday and had several opportunities to do 2nd, 3rd and 6th gear roll ons. Both bikes have the same mileage and maintenance done.

2nd gear roll on - both bikes stayed even until the Hayabusa was just under 10,000 rpm. Just when I thought I was going to pull past him, the GSXR 1000 pulled the Busa 1 bike length. Get this though, I had to shift to 3rd (which lost 1/2 a bike length). The run through 3rd had the GSXR pull me another bike length.

3rd gear roll on - same as above - both bikes dead even until about 10000 rpm and then the GSXR 1000 pulls ahead.

6th gear roll on from 80 mph. GSXR 1000 pulled the Busa immediately. Wasn't even a race.

Dragrace from a dead stop through 4 gears. Just because it is easier to launch, the Busa kicked a$$. We switched bikes several times and made several runs for each race with the same result each time.

The main difference between these bikes - at the 200 mile mark my buddy told me "I've had enough, I'm riding your Busa the rest of the way". And he did, he took my bike and rode it the next 150 miles because he was so uncomfortable on his GSXR 1000. When we got home all he could say was how he couldn't believe what an incredible motorcycle the Busa was.
smile.gif

With that being said, I need more power. I cannot allow the Busa to be slower than the GSXR 1000. How does changing the exhaust cam affect power and power delivery on the Busa?

Can you ride your turbo for 350 miles minimum a day? Most of the time riding double with a majority of the miles involving canyon riding? How does that turbo bike work on a roadrace circuit?

I akin the Busa to a 60's muscle car. Big car, big engine, comfortable ride. Liter bikes are more like the early 70's muscle car. Smaller car, small block engine, lighter in weight, dang quick.

I don't have the numbers (someone else probably will), but a liter bike is almost 140lbs lighter and right at the same hp. It's a shorter bike so it typically has an advantage in corners and it's less weight really works to a great hp/weight ratio.

I love the fact that my busa is a bit heavier because it feels much more stable at high speed and distance riding is more smooth from the longer wheel base.

Sure with a full exhaust, remapping, and maybe changing your gear ratios you could give him something to think about... until he does the same. plus it's probably cheaper than installing a turbo.

It's almost apples to oranges in my opinion. make them the same weight and length and see who wins then.

Well let's see, if I was in 3rd at 80 mph, and he was in 3rd at 80 mph we would have had the same race we already had several times with his 1000 out running me.
guns.gif

We did the top gear roll on to see if the Hayabusa could win where torque was the major factor. At 80 mph the GSXR is turning about 1300 rpm faster so I am sure that played a part, but fact of the matter is the GSXR 1000 walked away like it was in 4th.

No, what you should have done is exceeded 10K in 6th and reported results.
SHOCKED.gif

No doubt the new liters have a leg up in performance.

The '08s if improved like the liter bikes should kick azz again.

I've been told by someone I trust that his stage 1 kit is fine for running twisties and would assume this would be the case at the track occasionally.

Now I get into trouble here because I've only researched and spoke to Turbo owners, I'm not one. Yet.

(tlrbandit @ Jun. 18 2007,15:54) Well let's see, if I was in 3rd at 80 mph, and he was in 3rd at 80 mph we would have had the same race we already had several times with his 1000 out running me.  
guns.gif

We did the top gear roll on to see if the Hayabusa could win where torque was the major factor.  At 80 mph the GSXR is turning about 1300 rpm faster so I am sure that played a part, but fact of the matter is the GSXR 1000 walked away like it was in 4th.
That teaches me for speed-reading... I missed the 3rd gear roll on
tounge.gif

It all makes sense now  
laugh.gif

Time for full exhaust, power commander, air box mod, new sprocket... and on and on and on  
beerchug.gif

Have fun out there and be safe!

For about $15, you can change to a 16 tooth front sprocket and you will match the 1k in most races.

I run against piped CBR 1000's and Gixxer 1000's, and the -1 front sprocket mod was the best mod.

Since the 1k's have a higher redline, they can hold their gear longer. That is the only reason I have lost a race against the liter bikes.

He has Yosh slip ons and a power commander going on this week. I think I will go with a full Akro, PC and maybe the intake cam mod along with 2 more teeth on the rear sprocket. I don't care if other bikes are faster as I mostly ride with the same 4 guys. Therefore, I only need my bike to be a little faster than my brothers 07 GSXR 1000.
smile.gif

(tlrbandit @ Jun. 18 2007,16:19) He has Yosh slip ons and a power commander going on this week.  I think I will go with a full Akro, PC and maybe the intake cam mod along with 2 more teeth on the rear sprocket.  I don't care if other bikes are faster as I mostly ride with the same 4 guys.  Therefore, I only need my bike to be a little faster than my brothers 07 GSXR 1000.  
smile.gif
Just pull out one of his spark plugs at night
laugh.gif
race.gif

Full System 4 into 1 and Power Commander alone will put you in front of your Brothers 1000 Always.........Except 6th gear roll ons.

TRY ONE OF THESE I LOVE MINE

www.morepoweracing.com/

R-22 Bling Stainless Full System Price $746.00 DELIVERED

Power Commander III USB Price $260.00 DELIVERED

http://www.morepoweracing.com/product....Details

" http://www.morepoweracing.com/product....Details "

R-22 Bling Stainless Full System

Yoshimura Stainless Full Systems replace your entire stock exhaust with a Yoshimura muffler, stainless midpipe and stainless header giving you the best performance gains.

High flowing Stainless steel header with Duplex technology
Laser etched namebadge
Stainless steel Cone endcap
Low Volume Insert
Heat insulated Springs

I'd put my money on a 07 Gixxer 1K over a Busa any day of the week (both bikes stock or with the same mods)

The new 1K is pumping out 168 to the wheel in STOCK trim on the same dyno mine put 162.8 w/ my mods in my signature. And this is considered a stingy dyno. Also note that EDR Performance is VERY reputable and doesn't inflate or build up dyno numbers.

In stock trim, mine put out 151 on the same dyno.

Also add in that the 1K is over 130 lbs lighter...

Those things are badass and pound for pound will walk one of our Busas unless you have put some GOOD work into it. If you pull up next to one, you better hope you are a better rider than he is!

Back