Dilemma!

flyboy

Registered
Ok, here is my dilemma. My son owns an '03 GSX1000 and I have an '03 GSX1300r. He is a good rider, but has a tendency to...well, how should I put it...show off! He likes those damn wheelies and I know, is not if, but when is he going to fall and hurt himself. I'm going to visit him in March and he asked me to bring my bike down so we can ride together. There is nothing else that I want more than to ride with my son, but I would like to ride his bike, which means he will be on mine. I'm afraid for both him and my bike. What should I do? Anyone out there with this same dilemma?

Ahhhhhhh, what a dilemma, and I am in the same exact shoes, with one exception, my son lives 10 minutes from me so I get to see his antics on a regular basis. We ride together almost every weekend, and I lecture him almost as often. He has already dumped his on a "show off ride to his co-workers" spill, and it took me almost a month to do the repairs needed. He actually walked away from that one with a nasty gouge to his right side, all healed now. And it taught him a very valuable lesson (experience is the best teacher, right ?) and now doesn't get on his bike without all the gear on.

So I am with you in worries, all you can do is hope he learns to ride sane and safe without getting made into a paraplegic or worse.

And for SURE, my son will NOT be riding my baby, at least not in the foreseeable future !! So keep your keys in your pocket, and don't even suggest trading bikes !!

Nothing wrong when borrowing someone elses equipment with putting some guidlines on it's use. Ask him to respect your bike the same way you do while on it. If things get out of hand on the ride, ask to switch back. I agree with experience being the best teacher however, some lessons you don't get to learn twice?

flyboy,

I agree with setting the rules for the ride ahead of time. The busa is fairly tame bike if you want it to be, so the only danger is making sure he respects that it is your bike, and not his.

I think you could still play around and have some fun without trying to stunts. Just make sure he agrees to it.

Dr. Geekenstein:
He has already dumped his on a "show off ride to his co-workers" spill, and it took me almost a month to do the repairs needed. He actually walked away from that one with a nasty gouge to his right side, all healed now. And it taught him a very valuable lesson (experience is the best teacher, right ?)[/QUOTE]

You should have made him do the actual repairs. That way he would appreciate the work it takes to fix his mistakes. That would have taught him an even better lesson. :)

<!--EDIT|stkr00
Reason for Edit: None given...|1069186892 -->

Advice? if he's stunting you could show him some of the better "crash" stunt videos out there,. maybe that would convince him to wear FULL gear, race boots, gloves, backbrace, leathers, and helmet. the most common injury of wheelies and I have seen a few, is a hyper extended knee, when your feet land, your momentum wants to bend your knee backwards, "Theismanized" you can get knee braces that help prevent hyperextension, something I would suggest for someone stunting a lot. my cuz hyperextended his knee when he looped it 20 yrs ago and it still plagues him.....

Get a sheet metal screw and lock down his throttle so he can't crack it past 1/4 turn!

I ride dirt with my kids and love watching them stunt. Not too much so far but it would scare the sh!t out of me to see it on the street!

One of my fondest memories is riding bowls at the dunes with my son (I ride a CR500) on his sisters CR125, and watching him wheelie around the circumfrence of the bowl while dad followed screaming (with enthustiac glee!) his fool head off in his helmet! :) :cool: :D

if your gonna let him get on your ride, definately lay down some ground rules. Then you just have to follow the same while on his

Flyboy, keep in mind that his bike is about 100 lbs lighter and almost as powerful as the busa, you would hate to be lecturing him on the "ground rules" and have a mishap on his bike. Remember, safety is a two way street. Just a thought.

Good Point creep...I have ridden the 03' 1000 and you will need to really pay attention to your throttle inputs. That front can be in the air all day if you want. It is seriously powerful. In fact I wouldn'r be at all surprised if you your son finds the Busa a little boring.

Just lay down some ground rules and make it clear that one wheelie will be the end of the ride...

Thanks guys!! I'm looking forward to my visit with my son. It will have to wait until spring. Cold weather is coming to town. Burrrr! I'll let you all know how it goes.

Back