rear axle grease

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
So I'm changing the sprockets and cush drive and I wiped off the rear axle goop.

So...what do I need to relube. I got white lithium grease, can (or should I) use that or do I need to make a fast trip down to pep boys and get (?)...what?

dont think lithium grease is the way to go... last time i had my rear off it was at a buddies house and he has all the motorcycle stuff under the sun so he tossed me a can of grease... cant remember what it was though...

I changed to a chrome rear axel and cush drive about 2 months ago and never put anything on it,never even thought about it to be honest as it felt really smooth just the way it was.havent had any problems

(Justyntym @ May 19 2007,10:54) So I'm changing the sprockets and cush drive and I wiped off the rear axle goop.

So...what do I need to relube. I got white lithium grease, can (or should I) use that or do I need to make a fast trip down to pep boys and get (?)...what?
I've heard white lithium on here.
rock.gif

Manual just says Suzuki super grease "A". Whatever that is. I use a good high pressure grease (Red stuff) I got from a Chevron distributor that I have used for years. Never failed me yet. I even used to use it to repack the wheel bearings in my mountain bikes!

(DEVLDOG @ May 19 2007,08:32) I changed to a chrome rear axel and cush drive about 2 months ago and never put anything on it,never even thought about it to be honest as it felt really smooth just the way it was.havent had any problems
Wow....I seriously recommend that you take it back apart and grease your axle. I know from experience that it needs to be greased. It's not pretty when the axle is rusted inside the wheel and won't come out.

Spencer

(sFlaBusa @ May 19 2007,12:45)
(DEVLDOG @ May 19 2007,08
zzwhip.gif
) I changed to a chrome rear axel and cush drive about 2 months ago and never put anything on it,never even thought about it to be honest as it felt really smooth just the way it was.havent had any problems
Wow....I seriously recommend that you take it back apart and grease your axle.  I know from experience that it needs to be greased.  It's not pretty when the axle is rusted inside the wheel and won't come out.  

Spencer
Rust?
rock.gif
that will never happen,this bike never sees water and rests on 2 stands on a rubber mat in a garage under cover...she better not rust..haha

there was alot of gunk on the center of the wheel when i pushed the axel rod through,im sure its fine.

(DEVLDOG @ May 19 2007,08
zzwhip.gif
) I changed to a chrome rear axel and cush drive about 2 months ago and never put anything on it,never even thought about it to be honest as it felt really smooth just the way it was.havent had any problems
devildog. grease your axle dude or youll be buying a new one soon. plus, you'll go faster. less friction = more rear wheel horse power. i,m suprised this has not been talked about prior. i thought everyone knows how the factorys half ars grease stuff. everything should be regreased asap. axles, steering stem bearings, shift shaft, swingarm pivot shaft and bushings and shock pivots. the wrong grease is better then no grease.
super.gif

i know, Old thread but...

Fuchs Silkolene Pro RG2 Synthetic Racing Grease - A heat resistant synthetic racing grease for competition and road use. Stays in place even in extreme riding conditions protecting wheel bearings, suspension linkages and seals from wear, corrosion and water penetration.

Cheap too. $13 for 500g bucket.

Use any synthetic, high temperature wheel bearing grease. The stuff is cheap and a tub will last you for years.

Also, even if your axle is chromed and your bike is always indoors, grease that baby. The axle may be chromed, but other parts in there (wheel bearing shells, nut, washers) do corrode. A little grease makes a lot of difference.

i know, Old thread but...

Fuchs Silkolene Pro RG2 Synthetic Racing Grease - A heat resistant synthetic racing grease for competition and road use. Stays in place even in extreme riding conditions protecting wheel bearings, suspension linkages and seals from wear, corrosion and water penetration.

Cheap too. $13 for 500g bucket.

You aint kiddin old thread! But a little bit of anti sieze works great.

Back