a friend's ZX14 engine gone while riding ...

Guclu

TurkishRiders.Org
Donating Member
Registered
ImageShack Links Do Not Work

this is Mustafa , he is a member of our riding group , he bought a new ZX14 as you can see above , while we were cruising he lost the engine , Kawasaki Turkey took the bike and will probably send to Japan for checking , they will give a new bike to Mustafa ...

... i love my Busas , they are unbreakable  
beerchug.gif

I had a brand NEW ZX12r That I put 1300 miles on blow up, something to do with the cam chain then vales hitting a piston, I didnt get the whole story because I was too busy picking out the color of my new 01 Busa, and getting the payments on my 12r paid by the dealership until the bike was done, which hit the trader a week later with a brand new engine from kawi....
What a circus that was...
Kawis are nice but I would have to say as far as reliabiity goes {in the sprotbike world anyway}
#1Honda
#2 very close behind Suzuki
#3 Yamaha
#4 Kawi
and its been that way for a while, from what we see anyway...

And he didn't run i hard ...lol. you posted videos of you and him running full out on the highway... 500 + passes on mine and many more on the street and zero problems..It's not like Busas don't blow up ...I have seen many with spun bearings and broken cam chains and drop valves..And lets not even talk about low mile Busas jumping out of second gear...
bowdown.gif

(1300hemibusa @ Apr. 30 2007,09:51) And he didn't run i hard ...lol. you posted videos of you and him running full out on the highway...  500 + passes on mine  and many more on the street and zero problems..It's  not like Busas don't blow up ...I have seen many with spun bearings and broken cam chains and drop valves..And lets not even talk about low mile Busas jumping out of second gear...
bowdown.gif
he raced with me so it's normal to blow
smile.gif

That is sad. Was Kawi in a hurry to release this or something, or do first release bikes usually go through this?

Did the Busa go through this when it was first released?

That's scary. What about the brake/suspension components? Did they atleast pay attention to those?

The old SRAD gixxers had a timing chain recall. (I should know, mine blew over 11,000 rpms). As far as I know, the busa is based on the SRAD technology. So, technically, yes, the model had timing chain tensioner issues. I just don't remember hearing anything about 'busa tchain tensioners.

Dropping valves is another story.

(00Negative @ Apr. 30 2007,10:47) That is sad.  Was Kawi in a hurry to release this or something, or do first release bikes usually go through this?

Did the Busa go through this when it was first released?

That's scary.  What about the brake/suspension components?  Did they atleast pay attention to those?
nothing bad about brakes and suspension , thanx for the all feedback ...

I like the pipe he has ....Looks good need that on my bike ..

That's toooo bad, and I see he had made some engine mods. Kudos to Kaw for not voiding the engine out because of the pipes !! I still think the `14 is a good bike, just not as good as my Busa, nor as good looking, and definitly not the Quality Build
super.gif

Sad. hope his next one works fine.

Been keeping tabs on the 14 boards. So far nobody has reported anything like thier engine suddenly taking a dump. On bikelands section there was hoopla from some guy posting pics of the zx-14 frame broken in half. Tried claiming it just "Happened" but pics seemed to show it looked more like a severe accident that broke the frame rather then build defectiveness causing it. What didn't help things is this dude made a previous thread claiming info on the same thing and was going to give pics BUT, his info screwed on him since it was a Busa who's frame snapped and not a 14. Can't remember if he claimed that was a "just happened and there was no abuse" moment of if it was a crash that caused it..

As for busa's being unbreakable..heh heh. Couple of cam chain tensioner recalls, fuel filters clogging and locked clutches on early '99 models, 2nd gear issues on some. ALUMINUM SUB-FRAME Failures....those weren't a urban legend. I love them yes but, knowing their history I have to admit they don't have exactly a spotless track record.

I heard of a recall at the dealer by an employee,didn't quite understand what he was talking about on the engine mounting causing it to throw a rod,but it was a simple fix.Not all have a problem.The ones he talked about,blew at 130+.Didn't make sense too me,but the info came from Kawi.Something to check on if ya own a 14.

(COLDSTONE1298 @ May 01 2007,00:29) Sad. hope his next one works fine.

Been keeping tabs on the 14 boards. So far nobody has reported anything like thier engine suddenly taking a dump. On bikelands section there was hoopla from some guy posting pics of the zx-14 frame broken in half. Tried claiming it just "Happened" but pics seemed to show it looked more like a severe accident that broke the frame rather then build defectiveness causing it. What didn't help things is this dude made a previous thread claiming info on the same thing and was going to give pics BUT, his info screwed on him since it was a Busa who's frame snapped and not a 14. Can't remember if he claimed that was a "just happened and there was no abuse" moment of if it was a crash that caused it..

As for busa's being unbreakable..heh heh. Couple of cam chain tensioner recalls, fuel filters clogging and locked clutches on early '99 models, 2nd gear issues on some. ALUMINUM SUB-FRAME Failures....those weren't a urban legend. I love them yes but, knowing their history I have to admit they don't have exactly a spotless track record.
Well said Stonecold....You build 3000 bikes and some are going to break and it doesn't matter what brand it is....I to keep track of all the zx14s on Bikeland ...One guy lost the rod bearings on his 300 hp turbo zx14 (lack of oil)...One broke the oil pan and kept on riding till it started knocking...One other reported he tossed a rod and caused him to go down ..Turned out he picked up a very big spike in the road and jammed the front end , that totaled the bike but the motor was fine ... One more said he spun a bearing then changed his story to it tossed a rod then the story changed back to a spun bearing, he never posted up pictures or even a repair order after he said he would .. If you run the zx14s or Busas like i do at the track stuff is going to happen.. I have a friend with a Busa that is on his second rebuild for spun bearings while another friend is on his third trans( Jumping out of second gear) I to worried if the zx14 would take a hammering so i got a low mile motor off Ebay just in case ..So far 500+ 1/4 mile runs in the 8.80s on motor plus 3000 hard miles on the street and not a problem of any kind ..Well i do go though a lot of tires .. Just like any race motor it will at some point give up but that's part of racing.. Kawi did a good job on this motor and the bike , it has only had one recall and that was on the early 06 zx14s ( lose bolt on the tip over sensor) ...I would say for a first year bike it seems to be pretty problem free ...It has been reported by a few top racers in Super street that when making 300+ hp the zx14 has shifting problems but they have seem to found the problem...Others have said they have dropped Valves making 300 hp but these were engines with after market cams , springs and valves ...You push any motor to the limits it's going to have problems plane and simple ....With all that said i set here waiting for the New Busa and i hope that it is very very fast because i have cash waiting ...
beerchug.gif

Back