Rubber windscreen grommets

BusaboyCO

Registered
Hey guy, I'm actually trying to do the first couple of things to the Busa (mods? kinda) trying to get those little rubber grommets out so I can install my Dark Smoke ZG screen. Any tips, as I feel like I'm gonna rip them apart. :eek: Thanks in advance.

p.s. I'll up a pic when I get it changed. Relatively new and have not posted a pic yet, but will.,.......

Windscreen grommets: Use needle nose pliers with about 1/8" min. wide nose. Pry one edge of the grommet up with your finger to get the pliers around the edge of the grommet and down in the hole. You are basically trying to grab as much rubber as you can so you don't tear it. Pull the grommet to its center and outward. It's tough at first and will stretch but it will come out. Trick is not to tear it.

Rear reflector holes: I didn't fill mine, but I don't ride in wet weather. If you will be riding in wet weather I would seal them with some type of silicone.

Good luck.

Postal.

:cool:

thanks bro, got them out finally, now here's the next Q. I have a ZG sreen. It is not beveled like the OEM one and is a B!tc# to get in. now that it's in the hole, it still doesn't look right. Is it supposed to be beveled and I got a bad one or am I just a dip when it comes to this?

I have a Power Bronze DB. My holes were not beveled either. Put a spec of vaseline on the grommet to get it back in. I cleaned the holes on my PB with a small file too before I tried to get the grommets in. Good luck!

the entire edge is not beveled at all, where as the stock is almost all the way around. It's in but looks awkward, like the screen is pushing everything up too high....I dunno.... :mad:

think I will start a new thread on the ZG and not the grommets. Hopefuuly peeps w/a ZG will dive in.

<!--EDIT|BusaboyCO
Reason for Edit: None given...|1068081420 -->

Dude the Zero Gravity DB should slip right in no problems. Nothing, just right on in. Now you will want to put a couple of layers of electrical tape along the tabs to prevent any vibration. If your screen doesn't fit right make certain you get both gromets out before putting the screen in and make certain it is properly seated. If it is still not fitting right, then something is prolly wrong. The zero Gravity is thinner than stock but the bonus is it is much cleaner optically.
As for the rubber grommets I find that a little spit works wonders in getting them back in, patience is the best policy for getting them out. Also, the Zero G's are not beveled.
Hope something here is helpful to you, post a pic or two might help.

Windscreen grommets: Use needle nose pliers with about 1/8" min. wide nose.  Pry one edge of the grommet up with your finger to get the pliers around the edge of the grommet and down in the hole.  You are basically trying to grab as much rubber as you can so you don't tear it.  Pull the grommet to its center and outward.  It's tough at first and will stretch but it will come out.  Trick is not to tear it.
<table style=filter:glow(color=red)>FOR GODS SAKES,,,,WHAT ARE YOU DOING, MAN?</table>

There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to pry those out with needle nose plyers!

Simply take the pop-out rivet out on the other side of the inner panel, once the allen screw is out on the windscreen, pull the inner panel back with your fingers and push the rubber grommet through the inside. :shakingmyheadindisbelief:

Plyers! Unbelievable.  :super:

Um, I have never pulled the inner away, I just use the fingers and WIGGLE them like hell...

Sounds like a real good idea though Cookie...Thanks.

<table style=filter:glow(color=red)>FOR GODS SAKES,,,,WHAT ARE YOU DOING, MAN?</table>

Simply take the pop-out rivet out on the other side of the inner panel, once the allen screw is out on the windscreen, pull the inner panel back with your fingers and push the rubber grommet through the inside. :shakingmyheadindisbelief:

Was about to post the same thing, Cookie! I almost fainted at the thought of someone yanking at those rubber well nuts with a pair of needle nose pliers.  :eek:

I done mine the same way Cookie says to do it and it was super easy... and SAFE on the well nuts.

You guys should REALLY be a little more GENTLE with your NUTS!!! :drool:

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1068087523 -->

Was about to post the same thing, Cookie! I almost fainted at the thought of someone yanking at those rubber well nuts with a pair of needle nose pliers.  :eek:

I done mine the same way Cookie says to do it and it was super easy... and SAFE on the well nuts.

You guys should REALLY be a little more GENTLE with your NUTS!!!  :drool:
Yep, that's the easy way to get em out.
Now...how do you get em in once they are all swollen up? (Hint: lot's o lube)

You guys should REALLY be a little more GENTLE with your NUTS!!!  :drool:
Yep, that's the easy way to get em out.
Now...how do you get em in once they are all swollen up? (Hint: lot's o lube)
This is headed in a BAD direction. I can feel it coming... :D

I ended up getting them out with me fingers, too. they finally came out. will post some pics tomorrow if I can. Thanks for all the info guys, appreciate it.

p.s. with all my wrenching ability, I actually got the reflectors off!! :laugh:

<!--EDIT|BusaboyCO
Reason for Edit: None given...|1068088939 -->

p.s. with all my wrenching ability, I actually got the reflectors off!!  :laugh:
Ok then, it's official. All your other mods will be validated now. I'm sure you already knew this, but the "coolness" of any mod short of a TURBO is cancelled out by the reflectors if they are not removed. :D

The low tech, low cost way... Move the mirrors out of the way. grab the edge of the rubber thingie. Twist and pull simultaneously. Then when you get a small portion out pull very firmly , while twisting. They should come out. To put them back in, just push and screw at the same time. Then your done. Just did it yesterday, putting on my blue chrome windscreen.

Back