Water pump seal replacement?

justin726

Registered
Well crap!  While doing a bunch of maintenance to my bike, I noticed a pretty good oil leak on the left side of my motor.  Thanks to the Search function of the board, I've pretty much narrowed down the problem to a leaking seal on the water pump.  

Anyone ever replaced this seal on the water pump.  (17435-33400 )  Link to Water Pump Anything ood that I might run into while taking the water pump off and replacing the seal?  

I'm also debating about just replacing the entire water pump itself depending on how expensive one is.  I leave for Deals Gap in exactly 1 month, so I just want to make sure I get this problem completely fixed quick so I have time to ride and verify that the leak is stopped befor I take off for Tennessee.  I'd hate to just replace the seal then have the water pump be the actual problem.  Any advice on this would be very appreciated.

My bike is an '03 Anniversary with over 23K miles on it.  I just got done making a minor valve adjustment on it and I was getting ready to do an oil change and then flush out the original coolant and replace it with Engine Ice when I leaned down to break the oil drain plug loose and noticed all the oil on the left side of the engine case and water pump.  Not what I was looking forward to.  
mad.gif

Also, can the oil seal be replaced without taking the bearings out, or do they have to be removed to get to the oil seal? Thanks.

That seal is on the outside of the water pump. Just pull it off. Clean that area with carb cleaner. Install the new o ring,lube it and reinstall

Back