low speed front end wobble

ndufan

Registered
ok. Here's the problem: Bought a new set of Avon storms and had them installed at the dealer 200 rear, stock front. Same set-up as with the Bridgestones I was running.
went to ATL that weekend and noticed on slow down a minor wobble at below 5 mph. It has continually got worse. Replaced steering damper, dealer said it was bad, checked the balance, dealer said it was good, checked the rotors dealer said was straight and in spec checked tire and he said was in fine working order. Checked steering head bearings, tight and working properly.
Took her to a speed shop, put new sprokets, chain and bearings in her. He said the rim was wallowed out where the bearings are pressed into. I looked and didn't see any problem but I have no facilities to put and indicator on it nor do I know the tolerances. He doesn't like chromre rims and said this was the problem before he even looked at it and said he confirmed it during bearing installation. Replaced them last year, the one on the inside on the sprocket side went bad.not demolished just rough turning.
I am at my wits end with this problem and don't want to buy stuff I don't need but want to get my baby up to snuff again.
she is an 01 I bought brand new.put a chrome swingarm on 2 years ago chrome rims 4 years ago. Hindle and pc3 last year. those are the functional changes.
I didn't notice anything wrong with this bike before I put the new tires on.
If anyone can help me out of this nightmare I would be eternally greatful.

FROM what you've described,tires/balance/tires/bearings somehow damage on swap/tires,is the rear running true?
If the bearings are ok,the balance checks out,the rear is true-TIRES.
A tire that balances out can STILL have a wobble at certain speeds.
Goodluck at getting justice on this one.

sounds like a rear wheel "alignment issue" to me...that or?..incompatable tire profiles between the front and rear tires...or?...possibly a combination of both.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Food for thought.I got a flat on my VTX the other day[cruiser/v-turd].At first I thought it was a front end problem-a wiggle wobble type of thing.The flat was on the rear
wow.gif

Buddy of mine just went in for this...bounce at low speed. Turned out to be high spot on front wheel. He just got them chromed!

yea at first I thought front, then I decided to try the rear for the problem. Have mounted and remounted 4 times.
firedevil.gif
 Still no avail.
How did they find the highpoint?

on a side note: proud dad I pray for the safe return of your son and everyone else in this altercation.

I have got a little wobble in what seems to be my front end as well. But mine happenes around 45-50mph. It almost feels like the road is uneven, but it happenes everywhere i go at those speeds. i dont know if this is usual or not but im interested to hear what it might be if you ever find out yourself.
lurk.gif

Take it to a DIFFERENT dealer and put it on a DIFFERENT balancer. If the balancer is not calibrated right, it can cause you all kinds of heartache. The only caveat is that such balancing issues are not noticeable at low speed. I doubt it is a balancing OR alignment issue. Make sure there are no leaks at the bead.

--Wag--

I've had weird sensation at low speeds before just because of the tread pattern, Avon's. Still love um.

Picture_1127.jpg

How are your suspension sag settings? They should be stiffer than the manual recommends. See Jinkster's post on suspension set up.

see this is why this is the best site in the universe. i never once in all mybrain rattling considered suspension
all_coholic.gif
I'll be checking that in the morning.
bowdown.gif

Could be a bad tire. I once had the same problem and could not figure it out so the dealer put a new tire on and the problem was solved. They said once in a great while the tire will have a bad belt alignment during the molding process and no way to fix it. The tire will balance but the side to side sway is not correctable. Just another idea,
all_coholic.gif
that happened to me. Hope this helps.

(mymaster @ Apr. 06 2007,14:04) I've had weird sensation at low speeds before just because of the tread pattern, Avon's.  Still love um.
Avon tires are known for a low speed wobble. Been there and done that on a previous bike.

(mymaster @ Apr. 06 2007,14:04) I've had weird sensation at low speeds before just because of the tread pattern, Avon's.  Still love um.
Same here. I have the 45/46 combo, and had a wobble when the tires were new. long gone now.

IMHO, you get new tires and a problem. One owner of Avons has stated having a similar problem. Sounds like you need to get use to it or buy some Michelin PP 2CTs. No seriously; it sounds like a front tire issue.

(hyperboosta @ Apr. 07 2007,14:59)
Same here. I have the 45/46 combo, and had a wobble when the tires were new. long gone now.
Maybe there is a problem with Avon tyres
rock.gif

Maybe the tires contact patch when new is just that much narrower than the last worn out tire you had on the front, making it feel a little unstable at low speed.

the AV45 is known to have that issue on bikes that are particularly light or neutral in the front end. the FJR boards are full of complaints on it.

But you said you have the Storms....so the tread pattern should be OK.
Prolly just a bad tire.

Any updates on this? Thinking about getting some Storms to try out...

Back