Can a PC3R be used in conjuction with a tre?

busabrother

Registered
If the TRE makes the bike think its always in fifth gear. What kind of map should go in the PC3R? Just wondering

I think Johnnycheese says that there is no benefit to having a TRE in addition to a PCIIIR other than lifting the top speed restriction. I saw him post somewhere else that if you want a TRE, get the switched one and only turn it on when you plan on doing more than 186 mph...

The PCIIIR is all you need for normal everyday riding under 186 mph. With the right map it does WONDERS for driveability!

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1067571344 -->

No problem, dude. Get with cheese before you spend money on a TRE. He might save you some bucks. ;)

Nope, I skipped it and got the PCIIIR. If I ever decide to try and top my bike out I'll check into a TRE. Until then I don't need it.

Does the PC also adjust the timing that the TRE supposedly fixes as well. As you can tell, I have no clue about it. I can play with the old car, but this new stuff is too much for me!!!!! :eek:

With the PCIIIR you can adjust timing & fuel throughout the RPMs. A lot mroe control than a TRE.

Hold on a second with the timing issue. Yes, it's true you can adjust the timing with the PC3r but not by gear. you can only adjust it by RPM. the TRE is still valuable for getting rid of the timing retard since it is only affects the timing of the lower gears. The TRE's function is the elimination of the low gear timing retard and de-restricting the top end. It is not made to adjust anything. that's the job of the PC3r.

I run both the PC3r AND the Ivan's smart TRE. I have seen improvements by both that neither could accomplish by themselves. I do use both sucessfully and I personally would recommend both. please keep in mind however that I run basically a stock motor. (Exhaust mod only). If the other guys are doing something different they might have different results, however I would still use both and expect them to work short of nitro or turbo action which would for sure render the TRE at least unnecessary.

Johncal

I was under the impression that the PC3r had to be mapped specifiaclly with the TRE in mind. I thought if you had a non custom map the TRE would make the bike think it is alswys in fifth. Then if the PC3r thought you were always in fifth how could it adjust stuff. Can someone expalin this/ Idf you have a TRE and PC3r I thought you had to have a custom map. I thought you could only uise a ATRE and pc3r. Thought you had to turn the ATRE off to have the pc3r work its magic. I must be confused!

I have an ATRE and a PCII on my '01. I have a PCIIIr on the way for my 03. I will have a map made with the ATRE installed and configured "all gears to 4th".

There is no reason that the two can't be used together. The gear position sensor indicates gear to the ECU, and the ECU retards the ignition in the lower gears (for whatever reason - launch quality etc.). The ATRE (or any TRE) simply negates this behavior. The PCIIr allows timing adjustments, but can't vary the timing according to gear. Bottom line is that there isn't any conflict.

Mike

To all who pimp the TRE + PC combo... Any dyno or time slips showing an improvement using both together? I've yet to seen any hard proof that it's worth it. Just lots of SOTP meter readings and theory.

I won't argue over whether or not the two devices will work together, as there are people using both and the bike runs. I just want to see PROOF that it's beneficial to have both before I can see doing it. I just suspect that the TRE is wasted money unless you want to go over 186 on a restricted year bike. I've played with similar tricks on computer cars and while things like driveability, idle, throttle response. etc changed, NOTHING was measureable on the track. Never dyno'd any of the tricks but if it don't show up in your time slips who cares if the dyno shows a hp or two, unless you just like posting numbers?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking people that use both, or those who think it's worth it. To each his/her own. It's just that I ain't paying what they want for a TRE unless someone shows me proof that it will benefit me in a measureable way.

Anybody willing to step up and prove the claims of a gain by using both by posting pre/post dyno sheets and some time slips? :super: If you can't measure it, it is really worth anything? :super:

Hey Train, any proof the two used together don't make an improvement? Mine sure 'seems" to work better with both. In fact the Pc3r made the bike run a lot smoother. Then adding the TRE gave me massive wheelspin in first that it definitely did not have before. To me the wheel spin alone proves the increased power dyno or not.

You don't need to take my word for it, but I sure am enjoying my theoritical increse in power.

Johncal

Hey Train, any proof the two used together don't make an improvement? Mine sure 'seems" to work better with both. In fact the Pc3r made the bike run a lot smoother. Then adding the TRE gave me massive wheelspin in first that it definitely did not have before. To me the wheel spin alone proves the increased power dyno or not.

You don't need to take my word for it, but I sure am enjoying my theoritical increse in power.

Johncal
so was it a custom map???
or did your seat dyno make it???

Come on, Johnny, settle this one. I know you MUST have run the TRE on a dyno and probably a track by now. Give us the straight poop, dude! :super:

Cheese.....I'm using the map suggested by Dynotune for the Yoshi bolt ons with stock filter. As far as the Dyno, the seat dyno works pretty good actually. In fact, all of you air box mod guys used that method to prove that makes a difference.

Johncal

the TRE wont effect anything 'timing-wise' above 4k rpms, but will use the 5th gear fuel map thruought the rpm's.

TRE = 5th gear fuel map all rpm
TRE = 5th gear timing up to 4k rpm

if you have a stock bike and want nice smooth putt putt town response, TRE will be nice. STOCK bike.

My experience....
TRE was nice before my PC3R, because it used the 5th gear fuel map... ie: richer mixture. helped my times on the track with richer a/f mixture.

Once I got the PC3R, the TRE is useless. Oh, I don't go over 184mph either.

Back