brakes: front and rear

suprafly

Registered
as you all (or most of you) know, when you're braking on a bike you're supposed to use both brakes to achieve a better braking distance and a quicker stop.

anywho, i read somewhere before that both brakes can be linked together so that when the rear pedestal is pressed, both the front and rear brakes will engage.

is this true, and if so, is it better to have linked brakes or is it better to have them separate??? also, do bikes come from the dealership with linked or un-linked brakes???

suprafly out.......................................

agora.jpg

Arghhhhhhhh!

You definately would not want them linked. The various road conditions will determine how much squeeze on front/rear you need. You certainilly would not want your front braking hard with gravel/sand on the road. Also it would be difficult (proportioning valve) to get the correct ratio fornt to rear.

Besides, how could you do a stopppie?

stunts are for losers!!! what the point of buying a superbike and using it for crap?! could as well make a bike out of a hamster with a wheel!!!:mad:

suprafly out....................................

Seems to me linked brakes are something that would appeal to car drivers, or maybe Honda riders. Lame idea.

Honda & BMW sell bikes with linked brakes.
Usually with ABS.
Most skilled riders don't like linked brakes.
Like Mikey D the Tshirt guy said, different road & riding conditions require different braking responses and or balance. Linked brakes take away control from you.

The hamster and wheel could work. Besides, you could always put the hamster to work when you're done riding.

Seriously though, all of the guys are right about keeping the brakes separate. In fact, the magazine review guys are always shreading the bikes that use linked braking.......for a good reason.

Johncal

stunts are for losers!!! what the point of buying a superbike and using it for crap?! could as well make a bike out of a hamster with a wheel!!!:mad:

suprafly out....................................
Just kidding with the stoppie comment, didn't mean to strike a nerve.

Mikey D out.................... :cool:

I don't like the idea of linked brakes at all.
All it took was a hard left in the twisties, I touched the back brake and the rear did a little hop to the side.
I use the rear brake when I'm sitting at a stop light and don't want to roll back, or if I have to e-stop but still only a light touch.

the only honda i like is the rc211v, but i hate the fact that suzuki doesn't make a god damn bike to crush it. suzuki is my favourite brand (i mean, just say the name) and they are the peeps that i'll buy my bike from (unless dodge and norton let me buy from them).

i'm tired of seeing honda first in moto gp. suzuki should be up there too!

suprafly out.........................................

I think linked brakes blow on a sport bike. But when your talking touring or Cruising I think they are a fine idea. Most of the cruiser people I see around are still desperately in need of riding skill so it would be a bonus for them seeing as they cannot figure out what the hell that front brake is for.

Now what really gets me and something I would love to see on ALL motorcycles is a Switchable ABS system. Anti-lock brakes that you can turn on or off depending on your mood or the circumstances. If your a Pro or at least a demon on that front brake there is prolly little to gain day to day. But when you get caught in some foul weather or on a gravel road ABS would sure be a handy option. Especially with as good as the systems are getting on the BMW's.
My last Honda had Linked Brakes and I friggen hated them. Try using your rear brake in a real slow U-turn, yup the front dives. Try riding hard in the Canyons and late braking into a corner, yup rear howls like a banshee... I felt they we're more hazardous than helpful.
Thankfully, Suzuki and the other big builders are still pointing fingers and giggling at Honda's Folly, even Honda has been steadily working the linked out their linked brakes.
Really, in the real world when I am riding hard, the ball of my right foot never leaves the peg. I could do 100% of my riding and never touch the rear brake. If it weren't for stoplights on hills... The only thing I use it for is station keeping, my front provides 100% of my braking, especially if I am in a hurry. The rear is barly touching the ground so I leave it alone. I have seen too many buddies bobo around and panic hitting that rear brake out of habbit... There was even a case awhile back in Ft. Collins Co. Guy on a GSXR 750 slammed into the side of a Minivan, after leaving like 150 ft of skidmark from the rear tire... if he had known how to actually use the brakes on a sportbike, he would still be walking and talking...

Oh Yeah the point...Damn sorry bout that...Linked brakes suck... Switchable ABS would be good...

I think linked brakes blow on a sport bike.  But when your talking touring or Cruising I think they are a fine idea.  Most of the cruiser people I see around are still desperately in need of riding skill so it would be a bonus for them seeing as they cannot figure out what the hell that front brake is for.  

Now what really gets me and something I would love to see on ALL motorcycles is a Switchable ABS system.  Anti-lock brakes that you can turn on or off depending on your mood or the circumstances.  If your a Pro or at least a demon on that front brake there is prolly little to gain day to day.  But when you get caught in some foul weather or on a gravel road ABS would sure be a handy option.  Especially with as good as the systems are getting on the BMW's.
 My last Honda had Linked Brakes and I friggen hated them.  Try using your rear brake in a real slow U-turn, yup the front dives.  Try riding hard in the Canyons and late braking into a corner, yup rear howls like a banshee... I felt they we're more hazardous than helpful.  
Thankfully, Suzuki and the other big builders are still pointing fingers and giggling at Honda's Folly, even Honda has been steadily working the linked out their linked brakes.  
 Really, in the real world when I am riding hard, the ball of my right foot never leaves the peg.  I could do 100% of my riding and never touch the rear brake.  If it weren't for stoplights on hills...  The only thing I use it for is station keeping, my front provides 100% of my braking, especially if I am in a hurry.  The rear is barly touching the ground so I leave it alone.  I have seen too many buddies bobo around and panic hitting that rear brake out of habbit...  There was even a case awhile back in Ft. Collins Co.  Guy on a GSXR 750 slammed into the side of a Minivan, after leaving like 150 ft of skidmark from the rear tire... if he had known how to actually use the brakes on a sportbike, he would still be walking and talking...

Oh Yeah the point...Damn sorry bout that...Linked brakes suck... Switchable ABS would be good...
Rev, Don't hold back. Tell us how you REALLY feel. :rofl:

Nothing worse than someone wishy washing about what they want to say. :tounge:

I looked at the VFR's braking system and saw that it had brake calipers with a separate hydraulic line for two of the pistons in the rear so that they can be activated with the front brakes.

Back