Before & after (pics)

EAKbusa

Registered
I am not quite finished but so far this is a big improvement (IMHO). What do you think.

Before:

busa1.jpg

One more after:
Please disregard the silver rear peg. They will soon be replaced with black annodized ones.

Im_a0008.jpg

Where did you pick up all your black parts? I have a 40ty anny also and am planning to go the black out route. Are you going to get that pipe black as well?

-Eric

The "STUNNAH" likes your concept...The "STUNNAH" also believes to keep the integrity of an SE Busa that you should leave the frame and swingarm black...Alot of playa's here are doing just the opposite...Their polishing and chroming everything...Seems to the "STUNNAH" it defeats the purpose of an SE purchase...You've got her looking good, keep going!!! :D

Looks Schweeet! Are you thinking about getting some black midpipes off of an earlier Busa?

I have been wanting to do the same thing since getting mine. If you don't mind me asking, How much did the anodizing run thus far? And how long did it take?

Again, looks real good man...

Looks Schweeet!  Are you thinking about getting some black midpipes off of an earlier Busa?

I have been wanting to do the same thing since getting mine.  If you don't mind me asking, How much did the anodizing run thus far?  And how long did it take?

Again, looks real good man...
Ditto!!! What Rev said....

I've been wanting to do the same thing with my SE, but people keep telling me to leave it alone. Now after seeing the real thing I've definately made up my mind....I'm doin' it!

Where'd you get it done and how much did it set you back? If you don't mind us prying...

Dan

Thanks all. Lots of questions to answer so here it goes. Some of it may be surprising.

As for the pipe, I am probably going to leave it alone or have it powdercoated black. They do make high temp powdercoating just for this use. As for using a earlier model black mid-pipe, can't do that becuase it is a full system.

Now for the once-silver parts here is the scoop. I actually got the idea of trying this from seeing Postal's bike. He had painted his rear brake brace/arm and it looked ok. So after investigating powdercoating and annodizing I decided to take a different route. I tried the rear brake arm first becasue if it turned out poor I could replace it easiest and cheapest. What I decided to do was try and paint it myself, but the right way. So after removing the part I glassbeaded it in an industrial sand blaster to remove the factory silver paint and to prep the surface for optimum paint adhesion and I cleaned the part in a parts cleaner solution to remove all dirt, oil and any glass beads or sand. Then using standard high quality spray enamel (satin finish to match the frame paint) I applied 3 coats of paint over about an hour. And here is another important point, the parts were allowed to dry in a furnace room with 1100 degree furnaces in it, so the ambiant air was quite warm and dry (at least 150 deg F), in a sense allowing the paint to bake on over 24 hrs. Long story short, it worked so well that I did the same thing on the front peg assembly and the rear pillion brackets. Of course the parts must be completely dissassembled and you do have to be careful in masking some of the pivot holes on the foot levers though or else the parts will not rotate freely as designed. In fact this is why you cannot powdercoat them easily (you cannot mask very well with powdercoating). I also took the opportunity to remove the useless peg weights and used shorter bolts to re-attatch the rubber foot peg surface.

Now I know what you are going to say, the paint won't last. Well time will tell but so far so good. And for that matter the stock parts are painted silver anyhow (except for the levers and pegs themselves which appear to be silver annodozed or natural). I am most concerned about the foot levers wearing off but so far all that has happened is a little wear on the knurling on the brake lever which actually looks fine. And heck, eventually I want to get Sato rear sets that are annodized.

So how much did it cost, not much (except for the pipe obviously) but I think if you want to try this you had better be able to properly prep the parts like I did or else the paint will not take correctly. I will take some more pics (up close) of the parts and give updates as to wear if any but so far so good and it looks great IMHO, like it came that way, the way it should have come from the factory.

<!--EDIT|EAKbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1067351557 -->

Thanks for the info. That was my winter project. I'm glad someone was successfull at it. Where can you get Sato rear sets? :type:

Looks great man. Some of you guys have KING KONG BALLS for some of these mods. I don't have the guts for a project that involved. But I'm glad I have access to good people like you. (I'm sure I'll need some good info soon)

Back