Brake Upgrade...Is this a problem?

TallTom

Registered
Ok so I get my new brake upgrade this week. Thanks for the awesome group buy Street & Track. Changed out lines and pads. Bled system. Everything is hunkie dorie in the garage. Take her out for a brake run in. Front run in no problem. You can smell them burning in like expected. Cooling them off and now time to do the rears.

At braking number 5 all was going well. Just starting to smell them burn in. Brake number 6 and there was no pedal. None, not even a little. The first thing I thought was *&^$% my new pads came out cuz those springs flew out and I had to deduce how they went back in. Circled back. Nothing laying on the road. Hmmm. I stop(not wanting to come to a stop but had to) and looked at the rear caliper. Nothing seemed amiss. I figured must be a great big air bubble or something so I drove her home.

Got home with the notion of bleeding the rears. Cooled down, open up the resevoir, found it full. Pressed the rear pedal by hand...now it has good pressure and feel.....wth??? OK...cracked open the bleed valve and thought OK under heat the bubble is expanding or something. No air at all in the bleed. Nothing at all. I pumped down the resevoir and topped it off. Not a blip of a bubble. It has great pedal feel just like it did before I started the burn in. So now I'm scratching my head trying to to figure out WTH is happening. I have never used the rear that hard before today. By the matter of burn in it wants you to brake hard, so this is the first time the rears have been subjected to this type of braking since I have owned the bike. So if this is fade it is 100% fade.

2 other observations. I had 6K on the bike. All factory brakes. The rear had about 15% left. That was a surprise since I don't use the rear that much or that hard. Take note guys the rears don't last long.

2nd. Man the EBC HH do bite. The fronts are far far ahead of what I had from the factory. Don't really need the rears but still I want all the brakes I'm sposed to have.

So what are the thoughts on the rear brakes here guys?

You mention that you changed lines, but did you change the rear line as well? Just curious?

(MC MUSTANG @ Mar. 02 2007,13:20) You mention that you changed lines, but did you change the rear line as well?  Just curious?
Yep got a complete braided stainless upgrade. HEL lines for front and rear and clutch. Good stuff Street & Track.

Everything torqued to spec? If it was air, it would still be there. But you found none after re-bleed. That would drive me nuts if I couldn't figure out what was wrong.

Thanks HeavyBusa. I would sure like some thoughts on where to go on this. Poppy...darn right it is driving me nuts.

Did you use a vac pump? I have heard the are good for replacing fluid.
But also heard not to use them with a new line install. I belive new lines are to be bleed with the master only.
Scary. Glad it was the rear brake only. The front would have really freaked you out.

Hmmm...Check the crush washers and bleeder for seepage? Got to be air in there somewhere, possibly in the master cylinder or just small bubbles in the reservoir hose that didn't make their way back up yet and got sucked into the master cylinder. I just put all my new group buy stuff on too; working great but no burn in yet. I'll have to see what happens.

BTW, I also have a little over 6k and my front pads still had 70 percent, rears looked almost new; I must brake like a complete wuss.
laugh.gif

Take it to a dealer or a reputable mechanic just to make sure you didnt lose something in your reassembly.

(nitrousjunkie @ Mar. 03 2007,10:17) Take it to a dealer or a reputable mechanic just to make sure you didnt lose something in your reassembly.
That was my first thought. But after I got it home, all was well with the pads and springs and pins. Good brake lever action on the brakes. Nothing seems to be amiss in the assmebly. I thought maybe I had the springs placed in there wrong, because the manual says remove the spring then pins then springs. When you remove the pins the springs go flying but they are not that hard to deduce the assembly of.

Anyway, I don't think there is any issues with the assembly of the system. I have excellent braking feel now, just haven't done a thing to get there.

(06BUSA @ Mar. 03 2007,08:36) Did you use a vac pump? I have heard the are good for replacing fluid.
But also heard not to use them with a new line install. I belive new lines are to be bleed with the master only.
Scary. Glad it was the rear brake only. The front would have really freaked you out.
I just put my ss front lines with new pads on last week end (thanks Charles, group buy) and used the vac. It worked great with replacing the fluid, but I did the final bleeding the old fashioned way, pump & bleed. Maybe you could try and bleed the system again?

Do you have 2 bleeder screws on the rear caliper? My 05 does, and if so did you bleed from the outside one first then the inside one?

you prolly "passed" an air bubble ...much like "passing a stone" ...

dubble check the second bleeder... but other than that...just go over it again.

(05BusaLe @ Mar. 03 2007,21:35) Do you have 2 bleeder screws on the rear caliper? My 05 does, and if so did you bleed from the outside one first then the inside one?
BINGO!!! Thanks Busa05LE. Didn't even know I had a second bleed valve. NOW I feel confident that the problem should not recur once I bleed her down.

This is what I needed to find on the board. Thanks guys.

(05BusaLe @ Mar. 03 2007,21:35) Do you have 2 bleeder screws on the rear caliper? My 05 does, and if so did you bleed from the outside one first then the inside one?
Bled the inside I never knew I had. Great big ole gulp of air popped out. NOW I FEEL NUCH BETTER.

BTW that bleeder is kind of a PITA to work with. Never would have found it had it not been for you. Thanks man.

Leave for Daytona in about an hour. Toast to you all.

Back