Sprocket Question

Jace

Registered
ok i know that if i go -1 on the front it will pull harder and will cut off some of the top end.
it also will also lenghen the wheelbase :super: and if so i have already lowered the bike so that lenthened it some so if i drop 1 in the front that will lenghen it more ?? right ?

will this make it harder to bring the front up it is not as easy now since i lowered it will this make it harder due to the wheelbade or easier due to more tourque low end :super:

would i be better off going +2 on the back and getting some low end and shortening the wheelbase ??

anyone ??

not sure how going down 1 in the front will lengthen your bike, unless your talking about the chain being a little longer cuz of the slack? but not much. yes the bike will be a little more wheelie prone cuz of the lower gearing. I am wondering how was the bike lengthened by way of lowering?

not sure how going down 1 in the front will lengthen your bike, unless your talking about the chain being a little longer cuz of the slack? but not much. yes the bike will be a little more wheelie prone cuz of the lower gearing. I am wondering how was the bike lengthened by way of lowering?
I'm with you on wondering how changing sprockets will lengthen the wheelbase but I understand how lowering would. The swingarm follows an arc around the pivot point on the back. Lowering the bike changes the point on the arc that the swingarm sits but the length of the frame and swingarm stay the same.

A loose analogy would be like taking a "V" and putting a tire on each of the two top points. The tires would be a given distance apart. If you spread the V apart the two sides would remain the same length but would be closer to the baseline point in height and the distance between the tires would lengthen. It's the same with lowering the busa. The angle between the frame and swingarm isn't a V but they are at an angle to each other. Recuding the degree of angle of the swingarm by lowering the bike is the same as modifying our V in my analogy.

Hope that helps...
blues.gif

well if i understand it correctly going down on the fron means you would have to let some of the chain out wich would make the wheelbase a little longer and on the back the chain would have to be shortened for the bigger spocket which would in turn make the wheelbase closer and shorter ? that is my understanding to it ??

i was just wondering if the wheelie thing would be much different since i have lowered the bike already ........
it is not as easy to pull up now but hopefully this will fix the problem :super:

Since you have lowered the bike it is harder to pick up the front because the center of gravity has been lowered,making it more stable or difficult to transfer weight to the rear wheel.Just one more aspect.This will also effect bracking to a degree.Lower center of gravity means less weight transfer to the front or rear under the same conditions.

<!--EDIT|SHODA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1066268833 -->

samurai_holding_sword_md_blk.gif

i dropped 1 in the front and the front came up real easy then i dropped the bike 2 inches, now the front she dont come up too easy no more. (got to lean back now)but putting on a 16 sproket only moved the wheel back 2 or 3 hash marks on the swingarm( still kept the same chain ).

well if i understand it correctly going down on the fron means you would have to let some of the chain out wich would make the wheelbase a little longer and on the back the chain would have to be shortened for the bigger spocket which would in turn make the wheelbase closer and shorter ?  that is my understanding to it ??

i was just wondering if the wheelie thing would be much different since i have lowered the bike already ........
it is not as easy to pull up now but hopefully this will fix the problem :super:
Ahh, that makes sense now. I just wasn't making the connection.

As for bringing it up, I'd think that the gearing/torque multiplication effect of a smaller front sprocket would overcome any minor wheelbase lengthening effect it might have. Seems that most folks who go down a tooth up front always comment on how much easier it wheelies. So, I would think that dropping a tooth up front would only serve to make it wheelie easier. If you've lowered it already it won't wheelie as easy as a stock height bike with a tooth down up front but it should still wheelie easier than a bike with the same height and stock gearing.

I agree, but lowering a bike hardly extends it to any degree, if you push the tubes up all the way or strap it, you lose a little length slam the rear you gain a little, equals out I think, not hardly what I would call "extending" the bike? I thought he got some real extension somehow?

no sorry for the confusion it has the stock swingarm just the wheelbase is little longer due to lowering ie the arc example

will have to do the smaller front and see how much difference it will make :super:

I have been considering dropping a tooth.I have been on the top end limiter a couple times,but it just isn't an everyday thing.I-95's way too congested.Quiker response could be more fun,and it seems like a simple way to get it.

i have some probs with the rear tire spinning as it it wonder if i lower the front sprocket will it spin more or what :super:

If you drop one tooth off the countersprocket,just how much top end do you lose?:super:
I believe from previous threads if you drop down 1 tooth in front you staart topping out at 175mph. Still enough speed to give a rush, lose your license, beat most others bikes on the street, and end you up in jail for hmmm 30 days or so.... But hey with the extra mods, aftermarket pipes, airbox mod, and all the other stuff you're probably doing to your busa you'll more than likely be back to the standard 184 without noticing any loss at all at the top end.

Back