Pair removal

EAKbusa

Registered
Anyone know where I can get the most complete instructions as to removing the pair valve assembly. I have a full Micron system on its way now so I need to do this before I install the new system.

Ok another question. Why do you need to use special block-off plates? Why can't you just cut the line to each exhaust port and use a bolt and zip tie to close it off? I am sure a plate looks better. If I can't block the lines (or if it looks like crap and bothers me) I will machine some myself as I have access to a full machine shop (where I work).

Bump bump.

I still need some help here. Can I cut and plug the exhaust port lines instead of using block-off plates? I will still remove the rest of the assembly. Just trying to prevent having to use special plates or make some myself.

You can do that, but I think it would be better (no line flopping anywhere or tied up to come undone) to pull the original plate and then JB Weld (or some other cold weld stuff/epoxy) a nickle/dime or whatever size coin fills the hole to the original plate. I haven't done it to the busa, but have on other non-fuel injected bikes with a similar hole to plug when modifying the bike/removing emissions stuff for racing.

I suggest this because I have done the plug on another bike which eventually came off the plate, so I welded the plate closed. But you got the right Idea for the cheap method. I almost did it that way ,but reaper was so good with info, I felt compelled to buy his stuff.

EAK, you can just block the hoses, many have, its called the "pair sucker mod" but removing it is way better, loss of weight and clutter. only thing is you have to remove the exhaust to get a wrench on the little buggers that bolt to the head, which means removing the radiator which means removing an oil line, panel etc... well worth it though. SHO did have a huge database for mods but since the big crash of 02 all has been lost....

EAK, you can just block the hoses, many have, its called the "pair sucker mod" but removing it is way better, loss of weight and clutter.
No, no, no, no!  Where is the real Twisted and what have you done with him?

You are confused on two counts.

The Pair Crankcase Sucker Mod is NOT just blocking hoses. AND, the end result is NOT way better. It has been proving that the PCS mod will yield on a stock Hayabusa approximately 2.5 to 3 measurable horsepower AT the wheel! Modded busas yield approx. 4-5hp's.

It is acheived by routing the hose from the pair to the crankcase inlit and by blocking the bottom of the airbox.

Effectively what you are doing is using the pair valve as the pump to 'help' the pistons along in their travel, creating negative pressure.

The pair system is in place to evacate spent gases from the heads and acts as a smog unit/ (also blatantly called a polution pump :D ) (and that always gets me) and return spent or wasted gases back into the airbox.

Ironically, SchnitzRacing has a similar unit available for about $200.00. It is an old hotrod secret that has been around for years. And we have it on our bikes for free.

Way ta go SizeMore!

my bad :sad: I thought the name of the mod was PSM, guess I dunno what ya call it when ya just block the hoses? the PSVHB the Pair Sucker Valve Hose Block...I just removed the entire unit and blocked them off to prevent backfires. thanks for the correction Clyde :laugh:

That where people confuse the two.

1) PCS mod = Pair Crankcase Sucker Mod
2) Pair Mod = is just the blockage and removal of the pair and blockage of the head.

Use what-the-hail-ever you want to block it, 3 hp less SizeMore! :super: :laugh:

Bump bump.

I still need some help here. Can I cut and plug the exhaust port lines instead of using block-off plates? I will still remove the rest of the assembly. Just trying to prevent having to use special plates or make some myself.
i did the pair mod after i put on my micron exhaust. should have done it all at once would have saved pulling panel off twice. reaper racing sold me block off plates 2nd day air for around 18 bucks, not even worth making them for that. your exhaust and mine are the same pipes i didnt remove my radiator just stuck a piece of cardboard around the fins. (just take out the radiator mount bolts) the whole thing took a few beers (2-3 hours) i personally would not want to have to pull a panel because a bolt slipped off a hose, the plates are pemanete. also imho put on a k&n air filter.

oh one more little bit of advice, i had a lot of exhaust leaking with the micron system, i had to pull it all off and change the exhaust gaskets (just trying to save you some frustration)

EAK...  I did the pair valve mod when I installed my full Yosh a few weeks ago.  To be honest, I was a little scared to rip my busa apart and try to do this mod.  Well Seriously, just jump right into it, and take that pair/emission crap off... Dont worry it is such a simple and quick job.  I used block off plates that the guy I bought my yosh off of gave me..  But I always see this guy on Ebay selling them, here is a link to check these block off plates out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....y=34284

Done deal, the PAIR is history! I spent a few hours rangling the stock headers off and went ahead and removed all of the PAIR stuff as well. Man it looks so much neater now. As for block-off plates, I used the stock ones, cut them off and welded them shut and will bolt them back on this evening, along with my new pipe if it shows up.

And thanks HP for the word on the exhaust leak possibility. I will keep an eye out for that. I also will be getting some heat tape for the fairings just in case or I might wrap the header but that looks like crap. Makes it run cooler though because it blocks all the heat from the radiator when not moving quickly.

I just ordered the pair block off plates from the web site that quazy had listed. Thanks quaz.

I plan on putting on an Akropovic pipe and PCII that I just bought from a guy who went back to stock and sold me the setup. I thought from what I'm hearing that then would be a good time to do the pair mod.

I hate to bring this up again, but I also have the 2000 busa and noticed that quaz there listed a TRE. I was under the impression that the 2000 didn't need that mod. Can anyone finally straighten me out on that. Thanks.

Back