Nice ride through VA mountains

The Oracle

Registered
Well, it was beautiful out yesterday, so we got together for a ride. About 22 people met at a Sheetz just outside of Skyline drive. I didn't know most of the peoples, but bsrigley did (he got a new busa after his wreck a month ago and is back in the saddle again). This story starts with my riding buddy ("chain smoker") and I waiting for a fellow rider. We are all sitting at the petrol station when a statie pulls in and asks if we know a fella by the name of Preston. Chris (chain smoker) runs forward and says, "yes." The officer informs us that they pulled him over doing 94 in a 50 and that he has a Learner's permit. So, he wasn't aloud to leave the scene without a licensed rider. We rode 2 miles up the road and picked him up.

From there, we planned to ride Route 211 through the Shenandoah Park back-and-forth a couple of times. We were screaming through the park at break-neck speeds. A couple of the guys we were riding with were obviously VERY experienced (both with this road and their bikes), because they were unbelievable (I am talking NickSlick and BigGar unbelievable)!

Anyway, here is a pic of the group's bikes...

gang01.jpg

Here is a nice view (BEFORE) of the busa that wrecked. BTW - this picture doesn't do it justice... She looked beautiful!

hotbusa.jpg

The rider was very lucky and only received minor road rash. Very lucky indeed considering that he was wearing no protective gear except a helmet (which was an open face style!!!).

There were two other "close-calls" that day. One was for me, and the other for bsrigley's friend named Taylor. Taylor took a turn hot and slid into oncoming traffic which was coming! He manuevered around them on to the oncoming side's shoulder. He barely avoided being rundown! My "incident" involved me going into oncoming traffic lanes also, but there was no traffic fortunately. I hit a dead snake in the road while tilted all of the way over and the front tire slid out and turned me into the other lanes. It was a rush-and-a-half!

Everyone made it home alive!

The End

...Chris (chain smoker) runs forward and says, "yes."  The officer informs us that they pulled him over doing 94 in a 50 and that he has a Learner's permit.  So, he wasn't aloud to leave the scene without a licensed rider.  We rode 2 miles up the road and picked him up. ...
:withstupid:

The rider was very lucky and only received minor road rash.  Very lucky indeed considering that he was wearing no protective gear except a helmet (which was an open face style!!!). ...[/QUOTE]
:withstupid:

sounds like you guys might have been pushing just a little too hard... glad everybody made it home in one piece... too bad the dude probably scared the bee-jesus out of the cars he about ran into.. Pretty sure they won't have anything nice to say about sport bikers anymore..

Another Biker Boyz victim I think, Sorry I know it sounds harsh, but damnit, there's for too many folks out there riding with too much bike and not enough skills. I mean everyone who rides can crash there just seems to be a disproportionately high number of the lowered Bling-Bling bikes going down out there. There were two this weekend down on the beach, one one his way to the ER the other walking and scuffed but ok. Both slammed, chromed and all pimpin... Too much media programming and not enough reality... Lots of expensive bits tossed down the road...

Oracle, glad you got lucky though, would suck to be taken down by a snake...

Pushin it without gear, unfriggin' believeable! A 13 thousand dollars on your ride and what a t-shirt, jeans and a toy helmet run about $100 all together.

An open helmet equals closed casket if your rollin a Busa. Maybe the four grand of paint and repairs will convince this guy to take a MSF course.

Cops, close-calls and wrecks maybe it was a good thing I missed this one.

Pushin it without gear, unfriggin' believeable! A 13 thousand dollars on your ride and what a t-shirt, jeans and a toy helmet run about $100 all together.

An open helmet equals closed casket if your rollin a Busa. Maybe the four grand of paint and repairs will convince this guy to take a MSF course.

Cops, close-calls and wrecks maybe it was a good thing I missed this one.
To bad you missed it Sammy! It was cool until the wreck.

-Rip

Another Biker Boyz victim I think, Sorry I know it sounds harsh, but damnit, there's for too many folks out there riding with too much bike and not enough skills.  I mean everyone who rides can crash there just seems to be a disproportionately high number of the lowered Bling-Bling bikes going down out there.  There were two this weekend down on the beach, one one his way to the ER the other walking and scuffed but ok.  Both slammed, chromed and all pimpin...   Too much media programming and not enough reality...  Lots of expensive bits tossed down the road...

I gotta agree with ya Reverend! I want everyone to know that the Ripper was in full battle regalia and never once took it to the limit. I know my limits, and I am careful to keep behind the line... Even when some others riders are pushing, or pulling.

Gear and limits are two things that I fully understand after so many years riding!

-Rip

Another Biker Boyz victim I think, Sorry I know it sounds harsh, but damnit, there's for too many folks out there riding with too much bike and not enough skills.  I mean everyone who rides can crash there just seems to be a disproportionately high number of the lowered Bling-Bling bikes going down out there.  There were two this weekend down on the beach, one one his way to the ER the other walking and scuffed but ok.  Both slammed, chromed and all pimpin...   Too much media programming and not enough reality...  Lots of expensive bits tossed down the road...

I gotta agree with ya Reverend!  I want everyone to know that the Ripper was in full battle regalia and never once took it to the limit.  I know my limits, and I am careful to keep behind the line...  Even when some others riders are pushing, or pulling.

Gear and limits are two things that I fully understand after so many years riding!

-Rip
You know what I have started doing, when I am with just about anything more than 1or 2 other bikes? I stay at the back of the pack, and watch. Amazing the amount of stupidity that can be witnessed in a short amount of time. The pack mentality also seems capable of encouraging some really uh...lets say interesting behavior. Normally calm mellow riders suddenly feel pressure to keep up, to pull the wheelies and stoppies, etc... I think this is how a lot of folks get banged up on group rides. They are too wrapped up around some sense of pride, image etc, to hang back and think for themselves.

So yeah, I will hang out at the back and enjoy the show, but rest assured my fingers are covering the brake, waiting...

I guess I am a little morbid...

I'm sorry the guy went down Oracle...he's lucky, but his bike's going to need some TLC...it's a beautiful Busa; hope he can get it back together soon...

...glad to see you guys got together...I'm jealous! Wish I could have made it...I know that area fairly well...

Glad everyone made it home okay...looks like a great group!

I gotta agree with ya Reverend!  I want everyone to know that the Ripper was in full battle regalia and never once took it to the limit.  I know my limits, and I am careful to keep behind the line...  Even when some others riders are pushing, or pulling.

-Rip
You know what I have started doing, when I am with just about anything more than 1or 2 other bikes?  I stay at the back of the pack, and watch.  Amazing the amount of stupidity that can be witnessed in a short amount of time.  The pack mentality also seems capable of encouraging some really uh...lets say interesting behavior.  Normally calm mellow riders suddenly feel pressure to keep up, to pull the wheelies and stoppies, etc... I think this is how a lot of folks get banged up on group rides.  They are too wrapped up around some sense of pride, image etc, to hang back and think for themselves.

So yeah, I will hang out at the back and enjoy the show, but rest assured my fingers are covering the brake, waiting...

I guess I am a little morbid...
Revlis, At lot of my last quote about getting scared was really when I ride with my friends on a sunday ( and your right it does make me push myself when with them ) .
I think from now on I'm going to stay at the back - I think it's the safest place to be and who really cares if I arrive a minute or 2 after them as long as we are all OK.

Back