Something I have been meaning to bring up.

Revlis

Re-Recycled, Busa-Less...
Donating Member
Registered
Well I guess I just got lazy, but I hadn't checked my tires in awhile. I had been picking up on some handling oddities lately, but thought it was just my fiddling with the suspension.
Well it occured to me that I hadn't checked my tires in awhile... Turns out that the ront was down to 32lbs, the rear was down to 35lbs. I had been running the recommended pressures... This loss over about two months, creepy....

Anyway aired em' up and now I can actually tell what the hell is going on...feels like a brand new Busa... So keep an eye on them pressures folks....

Can you tell us lazy bastages what the recommended pressures are Rev as long as yourre on the subject ? :D

Handling oddities? :super: Do tell... Ya can't just drop a statement like that here and not tell us what low pressure was causin' you to feel, dude. You know better'n that. :cool:

Well IMHO the front of the Busa can be a little vague, it talks to you it just doesn't shout.  Well, it had become REAL vague even with me adding a good bit of spring preload, rebound, and compression.  It was still sort numb.  The result was a real push happy front end that really didn't want to turn, when cranked over it just wouldn't co-operate.  
 The rear was doing OK though,  I softened it up a fair bit and it was feeling pretty good.  After I inflated them tires though...The front is doing exactly what I am asking, and telling me how it feels about it, and the rear feels more planted than ever.  Softening the rear made a huge difference in both the corners and in highway comfort.  Same with firming up the front.  Seems to me that Suzuki set it up sort of bassackwords from the factory.

since I travel about 50,000 to 75,000 miles per year in airplanes...(and sometimes in first class)...I get to see the flight crew go thru its preflight checks...it is amazing. Driving something that is as incredibly fast as a Hayabusa, it makes good sense to do a quick pre-flight check EVERYTIME you get on the monster. This is how I found the 3 inch nail in my rear tire and possibly saved my ass from a blow out. Checking the tires, tire pressure and chain and some other goodies takes less than 3-5 minutes....about the time it takes to warm up your 1300 ccs to the optimal operating temperature.

my .02 worth.

since I travel about 50,000 to 75,000 miles per year in airplanes...(and sometimes in first class)...I get to see the flight crew go thru its preflight checks...it is amazing.  Driving something that is as incredibly fast as a Hayabusa, it makes good sense to do a quick pre-flight check EVERYTIME you get on the monster.  This is how I found the 3 inch nail in my rear tire and possibly saved my ass from a blow out.  Checking the tires, tire pressure and chain and some other goodies takes less than 3-5 minutes....about the time it takes to warm up your 1300 ccs to the optimal operating temperature.  

my .02 worth.
Yeah... :sad: I know, I know... :sad: Your right...

I am thinking I'll get myself a clip board and make up a little preflight checklist...

since I travel about 50,000 to 75,000 miles per year in airplanes...(and sometimes in first class)...I get to see the flight crew go thru its preflight checks...it is amazing.  Driving something that is as incredibly fast as a Hayabusa, it makes good sense to do a quick pre-flight check EVERYTIME you get on the monster.  This is how I found the 3 inch nail in my rear tire and possibly saved my ass from a blow out.  Checking the tires, tire pressure and chain and some other goodies takes less than 3-5 minutes....about the time it takes to warm up your 1300 ccs to the optimal operating temperature.  

my .02 worth.
Very good point babuski...something we should all do...could save many from problems once they head out... :)

right on, Revlaid! I'd lowered my air pressure to attempt better heat and more contact patch like the track, but all around town felt like I was riding on gummie bears. pumped em back up to 42/42 and felt brand new!!! Loved it. Also remember with WINTER coming, pressure will drop anyway SO REALLY WATCH IT NOW.
And the Pre-flight check is something I do during warm up also. Inspires confidence and impresses people watching you.... even better use a PDA for your check list and on occasion hold it down by the engine and tap the screen like your reprogamming it. :laugh:

right on, Revlaid!  I'd lowered my air pressure to attempt better heat and more contact patch like the track, but all around town felt like I was riding on gummie bears.  pumped em back up to 42/42 and felt brand new!!!  Loved it.  Also remember with WINTER coming, pressure will drop anyway SO REALLY WATCH IT NOW.  
And the Pre-flight check is something I do during warm up also.  Inspires confidence and impresses people watching you.... even better use a PDA for your check list and on occasion hold it down by the engine and tap the screen like your reprogamming it.   :laugh:
:rofl: Dude...Thats like me busting out the laptop at work and running a USB cable under the hump...Sit there checkin my email via wireless and at the same time convince the SOF guys that I am running a diagnostic on the engine and collecting the datalog from that mornings ride.

But that is funny and a good idea... I especially like the holding the PDA near the Engine... It's good to mess with folks, keeps em' thinking...

Agreed, that and ow pressure will make your front meat wear funny!  :eek:
HEY...Leave my meat out of this...Were talking about tires...
Why, does it have funny wear marks?

:rofl:
:laugh:  I had the pressure all wrong!!!!

Well that and I didn't follow tha manufacturers recommended break in!!!
:rofl:

"Under Pressure"

Hey there's a song like that!

Ok Ok, enough of that! :tounge:

Yikes! Just checked mine for the first time in a while, too. Scared the shiot outta me. 29 front/33 rear. :eek: I thought it was wallowing a little in the corners and maybe wandering a bit cruisin' the straights the other day when me & Pimp rode. Gotta get me some air in those babies!

Thanks for the heads up. I checked them regular there for a while and they seemed to hold pressure so I backed off on checking them. From this point on I will check them before I ride each and every time!

I am curious what type of tire you are riding? When I was riding the BT-56 it was mushy on the front end unless I kept it at 42 PSI which is also the max pressure. But with Sportec M-1 I run 34-35 PSI riding one-up and it feels great at any lean angle and sticks well. I think the brand, and even the model tire can have a big difference in what pressure works best. Please put a tire model with your pressure remarks and lets see if there is some sort of pattern to the tires vs. pressure?

I am curious what type of tire you are riding? When I was riding the BT-56 it was mushy on the front end unless I kept it at  42 PSI which is also the max pressure. But with Sportec M-1 I run 34-35 PSI riding one-up and it feels great at any lean angle and sticks well. I think the brand, and even the model tire can have a big difference in what pressure works best. Please put a tire model with your pressure remarks and lets see if there is some sort of pattern to the tires vs. pressure?
Ok, stock BT56 meats on mine... pressure as stated above...wallowing in turns and wandering side to side while cruising straight.

Back