Runnin' Rich?

mcoyote

Registered
During my track day this weekend I spent a lot of time around my running bike and noticed whisps of smoke and a definite "fuelly" smell from my exhaust (stock). My oil level is pretty consistent, so I'm guessing that I'm running rich.

I've been sticking with high octane street fuel (93 or so) and am guessing that I really should be in the "plus" or "regular" range so that I burn more efficiently. Since the stock compression isn't all *that* high, does this seem ok?

1. Make sure your air filter is not saturated with filter oil...common problem with first-time K&N users.

2. If it's cold outside what you are seeing could be water vapor, which is normal

3. Any engine without converters will smell ritch compared to one with, especially on start-up (imho)....no engine burns all of the fuel it's fed....that's a big part of why NO2 works

A friend was following me this weekend and said he smelled raw gas coming out of my pipes exiting corners. I was honking on the throttle out of the turns and the mixture gets pretty rich. I have to fine tune that but it is not unusual to get some fuel smell if you are making HP. It shouldn't smell too strong like gas at a steady RPM but during acceleration it is normal.

Mine seems to puff a little smoke and smell really rich when I run mid grade but doesn't seem to run as rich on 87 octane. I've started running only 87 octane in mine for that reason. My busa doesn't seem to mind the 87 octane at all.

yea me too. 87 octane works just fine at 6000ft and so far no problems when I go to sea level. 11 to 1 compression is not that agressive.

1.  Make sure your air filter is not saturated with filter oil...common problem with first-time K&N users.

2.  If it's cold outside what you are seeing could be water vapor, which is normal

3.  Any engine without converters will smell ritch compared to one with, especially on start-up (imho)....no engine burns all of the fuel it's fed....that's a big part of why NO2 works
1. Stock air filter. Nope.

2. High 60's, low 70's, no humidity. Nope.

3. Good points, though this one had been running for a while.

I'll try some lower-octane fuel and listen for pings. Thanks.

Stock or piped Busa will run better on 87. You will not need more then that unless you build a performance engine or go Turbo. Use what works in your area though. 87.88,89 90. Different states different fuel. I don't like burning anything less then 94 in my Turbo, but can only get 93 in some states.

Back