Friend went down yesterday

gaw

Registered
We just had a post about lane splitting. Those of us who do it here in Cali all mentioned that you have to be very aware of all the cars in front and watch that they do not do a quick change in front of you.

Friday a friend of mine was lane splitting in rush hour traffic, doing about 10 mph and sure enough a truck changed lanes just as he came upto it. Nothing broken, but he is very sore today. Fortunately there was an EMT in the car behind him. He was in full gear.

Even though lane splitting is legal it is still very dangerous.
Second time he has been down, first time he hit a gravel spot in a turn.

Ride safe  

Hope your friend gets better quick.

Yes it CAN be dangerous, but still better than getting slammed from behind.

OUCH...glad he's okay...wonder if he'll stop doing it? :super:

I'm one of those that's never thought of lane splitting, plus I don't live in an area where it's really necessary anyway...I know I wouldn't have the guts to do it...

OUCH...glad he's okay...wonder if he'll stop doing it?  :super:

I'm one of those that's never thought of lane splitting, plus I don't live in an area where it's really necessary anyway...I know I wouldn't have the guts to do it...
If you have ever been in LA traffic, lane splitting is a must for motorcyclists.

Big E, I used to live in LA and while lane splitting may be "desirable" to save time, it is not a "must". It is for the most part simply a time-saver. Ride safe.

Man guys keep going down there's gonna be a shortage of riders and a excess of used parts on the market... Glad he's ok. Maybe we need a rider awareness page?:super:?:super:?:super:???

Sorry to here of your friend's misfortune, when I was out at Laguna this past summer (unfortunately in a rental car) bikes lane splitting on both sides. Being a motorcyclist, I was continually looking in my rearview, however several times I was quite surprised and glad that I didn't tag someone. I did however in a short time witness several close calls. I am glad there is no need for this maneuver here in West Texas.

Sorry to hear about your friend, and I'm glad he is OK. In contrast to what some think, careful lanesplitting is nearly essetial in rush hour traffic on a hot summer day. Yes it does save time, but setting in that crap can absolutely cook your motor, especially on a non water cooled bike.

Back