Which is stronger?

Aughtsix

Registered
This is a question for those mechanics or engineers out there. Which is stronger, the Hayabusa tranny or the ZX-12 tranny, and why?

Steve

Seriously - It may seem silly to some but it's an important bit of information for me. I'm either going to keep what I have or buy a Busa and I'd like to know what I'm getting into.

So, are there any mechanics out there? Or anyone who's been into a Busa tranny?? With all of the experience on this board it really shouldn't be too tough a question guys...

Steve

:super: Ok, seriously though, I have to see my mechanic soon, he works on all types of bikes and I'll ask him.

From what I've read in Motorcyclist though, Suzuki makes a better transmission.

:super: Ok, seriously though, I have to see my mechanic soon, he works on all types of bikes and I'll ask him.

and WTF do you think I have done from '78 till now :cussing:
It doesn't matter they are the same.
But if you like to read the rags and base your choice by them I guess you will buy a V-Rod

neither the both will break under hard abuse
So one isn't necessarily stronger than the other? The reason I ask is because I've had no problems with the few Suzukis I've owned. They've always been good solid trannys that have shifted very well. The numerous Kawis I've owned I've also had no problems with, good solid trannys, but they usually start out shifting rather, well, crappy. They have an agricultural feel to them until they start stacking up miles, and sometimes they never completely lose that 'box-o-rocks' feel.

Now I read about this 5th to 6th problem and I'm wondering if Suzuki has changed things. Is it just such a tough and close tolerance tranny that it takes some time to polish out? I've read every thread I can find and still can't get a feel for what's going on.

Pussy-foot shifting? Or possible tranny problem... I'm just trying to understand this and ease my mind.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.

Steve

.06,  Do you hard shift alot?  I shift with the clutch and have never had tranny probs on any bike I have owned (8 bikes so far). The guys who talk about trans failure (other than oil starvation) have been the guys who do clutch drops or shift under heavy load without clutching. We have one guy on our boards who was eating chains every 500 miles and breaking them. He went through at least 3 and two of those broke. It turned out he was dropping the clutch to burnout or to wheelie. I think the general consesus was that he was abusing the chain and he said he was not going to drop the clutch anymore. As far as I know his transmission is still OK. Eventually that transmission would have broken if he kept that up.

and WTF do you think I have done from '78 till now :cussing:
It doesn't matter they are the same.
But if you like to read the rags and base your choice by them I guess you will buy a V-Rod  
is that what you were doing in 78:super:? :bounce: :bounce:

Johnny,

not to burst your bubble, but in 78 my parents weren't married yet? and I didn't come along until mid 1980! :eek: so i bow down to the wise one!!!!! LOL :cool: :D

one of the main reasons I like the busa so much (other than the fact it IS the most legendary bike to come along since the Manx Norton or the Vincent Black Shaddow) is that it's as refined as a bike can get without the BLAness of a Honda. Look at the fit and finish of the outside of the bike and consider that this is a very good indication of the quality of the internals.

Like some of you foks out there stated earlier, and I'll qualify this by saying that yes, I am both and engineer and a mechanic, albeit an aircraft mechanic, that any tranny will fail if abused. Been there, done that! I've broken 3 so far but none of them on a Busa.

Bottom line is I'll put my money on a Suzuki any day over the only other alternative in the Hyperbike class. Also, if you want your tranny to last, start out by buying the best product to begin with, change your oil and filter when you are supposed to, use the clutch (it's there for a reason) unless you like to replace dog gears and engine cases, and don't over-rotate the shifter (spelled bent forks).

Later!

.06,  Do you hard shift alot?  I shift with the clutch and have never had tranny probs on any bike I have owned (8 bikes so far). The guys who talk about trans failure (other than oil starvation) have been the guys who do clutch drops or shift under heavy load without clutching.
No, not at all. I'm very finicky about my bikes. Maybe that's why, like you, I've never had any problems with the bikes I've owned, and I've always liked the trannys in my Suzukis. Whenever someone posts that they're having transmission problems I look back at other posts they've written to see if there's any detectable pattern of squidly behavior, then I discount those. I'm just trying to sort through if there's a genuine problem with the Busa tranny or if it's guys that are hammering their bikes and whining when the bike breaks. So far I'm getting the picture that the problems I'm reading about are the result of abuse, not a design problem.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Steve

Sorry Steve... having a bad day already. didn't mean to start the ongoing saga yet again...

Cloud

Back