Letter To CBS News...write one!! Or 10...

Revlis

Re-Recycled, Busa-Less...
Donating Member
Registered
Sent this today...

In Regards to your piece on Sport bikes "Deadly World Of Sport Bikers"

I am left speechless, once again any hope that their was still a thread of integrity in the media has been dashed. You went out of your way to find the dramatic minority of sport riders and thus portray all Sport riders in a single light? Hope your ratings were good, because today, and tomorrow and next week your portrayal of ALL sport bikers as being young irresponsible punks is going to affect me trying to ride to and from work. Your biased and sensational portrayal of a small minority of sport riders is going to appeal to the masses of brain numbed, have sentient simians that tune in and believe that what they are told by the press is fact.
Congratulations, I just hope you realize that by stirring up this kind of misplaced public angst toward sport bikes you are going to get people killed. Mom's and Dad's Brother's and Sister's, are going to die because of your sensationalism and the biased look you portrayed. There is enough misunderstanding and aggression towards motorcyclists already, without you stirring up the pot of ignorance.
You know nothing or chose to say nothing about the millions of sport bike riders who are mature adults, Doctors, IT professionals, Artists, Police, etc. No mentions of the wonderful mix of all races and classes that get together here and there to share and enjoy the experience. It's open to everyone, regardless of what color or how much money you make. Say that about the Harley crowd...
I hope you cannot sleep at night, knowing that you have fallen from a branch of professional journalism right into the ugly pool of tabloid TV, you've become a joke, and you are going to get people killed.

Keith

You do know that they guage the "success" of their stories by the responses they get by phone calls, letters, e-mails, etc, right? :super: They don't care what the response says, just that they struck a nerve hard enough to get one. If we help make this story a success by floodin' them with responses then we are sure to see stories like this continue to be aired. Then, we can thank ourselves for perpetuating the whole thing. Fug em... I ain't givin' them the fuel and satisfaction of knowin' that I even read the GD garbage! :cool:

I agree with both of you here. I would love to write an eloquent intelligent complaint letter but at the same time I don't want to give them the satisfaction of thinking that people even watched or read that crap. I'd also like to say that I will no longer watch CBS (or any) news but too late. I have not watched the news in years and don't plan on it in the future.

Screw 'em. Ride responsibly and with courtesy and live by example. And like they say, living well and being happy is the best revenge.

It was what I expected from "News". Ignore this mental irritant and move on.

So one letter then? Still...Any NE riders feel like creating some...ahh...problems? Could be fun....

I like it Keith...I fear it will fall on deaf ears because, as BT stated, they don't really care about positive or negative publicity, they just like publicity in general...but, no need to let that stop someone from stating facts about something they've chosen to report on without facts...

I've always been interested in media, namely writing for a publication. But, it's for those reasons you so eloquently pointed out in your letter that I never went that career route...unless you freelance write, the powers that be will want that one little spin on a subject so big that will create a stir for the viewer/reader...doesn't have to be truth, or even half-truth, just sensational...

Did the show air, by the way? I completely forgot about it (don't have satellite at the moment anyway, so I guess it wouldn't have mattered :) )

Can someone cut and paste my letter? My firewall blocks there port you can add my name and email please

Ronald Stewart
ronald.stewart@ssa.gov

I am writing to you about the story “Deadly world of sport bikersâ€￾. You displayed very poor journalistic integrity to have such a blatantly one sided story. I can imagine it was done for one reason, to keep your ratings up. I can’t believe you ended your story showing that poor girl that died. She did not deserve the type of crap you people dish out. What happened to her was a terrible tragedy for her and her family. I did not know her but my mother said the same thing when I bought my first sport bike. I would imagine that she loved to ride as much as I do. Inexperience more than likely was a big cause of her accident (from your report of 2 months riding experience). Your report was so bias it labeled anyone that rides a sport bike to be a trouble maker. Just like dangerous auto drivers and police officers that beat the people they are paid to protect, you’re dangerous and one sided reporting portrays all to be like this. Because of a few bad apples you label us all like the particular people you have met. Yes I have ridden over the speed limit and have done some similar things to the stunts that you have aired on your show, but in a deserted place keeping others out of harms way. Some do not; some do them on crowded highways and main streets. That does not apply to all of us. Journalism is supposed to be an unbiased portrayal of actual news not bashing a particular group of people because you do not like or understand them.

You know, I wouldn't mind writing a letter myself, as a married mother of two small children...I'm certainly not the "dangerous sport biker" they're referring to and making others think I am...

Media...where anything and everything is okay all in the name of free speech...doesn't have to be truthful at all...just as long as they can say it, right? I know, I know...don't think I'm against free speech here, but I can see where it can be abused...I'd rather have the right than not...but, when did being honest become a bad thing or "not sensational enough to capture a viewing audience"?

I'd love nothing more than to see a show about sport riding, the boundaries is crosses socially and economically, the fact that women are getting more involved...that wouldn't get anyone's attention?! :super:

I haven't watched the news for over 3 years now (seriously, don't ask me any current events questions you'll get a dumb look). Too much bull$hiznit on TV. I just watch movies on occassion.

Rev, very well written letter. Hope the best comes out of it.

Honestly if I really want ot know what is going on in the world I ask my Bro.  He reads and investigates the worlds issues and events almost religiously.  He feels it's important to know whats going on in the world.  So I just let him fill me in on the important stuff.  What's real funny is I ask him who to vote for in Presidential elections as well...  I never listen to what they have to say but I know my bro's views are largely my views so I let him do the thinking, I just pull the lever...   :laugh:
  Keeps me a much happier person.... :)

Honestly if I really want ot know what is going on in the world I ask my Bro.  He reads and investigates the worlds issues and events almost religiously.  He feels it's important to know whats going on in the world.  So I just let him fill me in on the important stuff.  What's real funny is I ask him who to vote for in Presidential elections as well...  I never listen to what they have to say but I know my bro's views are largely my views so I let him do the thinking, I just pull the lever...   :laugh:
  Keeps me a much happier person.... :)
It's kind of like avoiding dealings with the "middle-man"! I need one of those in my life too...

...give us his contact info; this could save me tons of time! :D

I sent my letter right after I read/watched it. I didn't save it though.

Same basic stuff. You are putting me in more danger by showing this type of thing. Lack of experience killed the girl. Dealers out for the buck only. You can have a sports car and kill yourself and that's OK. I'm sure no body at CBS breaks the speed limit. Etc.

The more I typed the angrier I got. I did the same when two local stations did a report on the local stunt groups. OK, I'm going to quit now before I feel the need to write them another letter.

I'd rather piss in the wind than be pissed on by some one elese.
:rant:

Later,

Steve

I agree they should know how we feel, but on the other hand we do not want them to say to themselves, "it got a good reation, so the rating must have been way up, we got what we wanted."

I guess it comes down to responsible reporting, not much of that anymore, is there. :sad:

Hard to raise kids in this world and tell them to be honest and make sure you have all the facts before spouting off, when eveything they see is one sided.

The big problem is that a majority of the people totally believe what they see as gospel truth, "cause they wouldn't lie to me." And the scary thing is then they get in their car and get on the frwy with us  :crazy:

In all, good letters guys I think they need to hear from us.

Be carefull out there.

Ride safe  

The more I typed the angrier I got.  I did the same when two local stations did a report on the local stunt groups.  OK, I'm going to quit now before I feel the need to write them another letter.

I'd rather piss in the wind than be pissed on by some one elese.
:rant:
I felt the same way when I saw, on TV, a story about a group of sportbikers who raced on a local freeway. I felt bad being a sportbiker too. The bikers described in the story were just immature young men showing off, maybe mislead by the interviewer ( <<< I'm guessing here ). They are just a minority but it's the image of all sportbikers that was trashed on TV.

I wrote an e-mail too, adressed to the TV Station, similar to the ones posted before. I don't know of its effect, but I felt good about it.

rev. & s7r4nger

Do you guys have an e-mail address that you sent your letters too.
If so please post so that others can send one.
Thanks,

Ride safe

You have to go to the link that they provided and cut and paste my letter or write your own then submit. Thats why my firewall wont let me through. And I am the IT person I suppose I could unblock that port for a couple of minutes :)

People people people.....stop this non-sense. Forget the letters. 20 years ago the big three networks had a 98% market share of viewers. 10 years ago was low 80% area. Now they have less than 70% market share. CBS, ABC and NBC have been losing market share for years to cable, other forms of entertainment etc....why do you think you see all this garbage like "reality TV"? When was the last time you ended up in a hot tub on a first date like some of these stupid reality dating shows?

The networks know that less and less eyeballs are watching there productions...hence they are doing everything they can to retain viewership...even senseless irresponsible reporting. Don't let it get to you.

BTW.....writing the network does no good unless you can generate 1,000 responses or more. 50 or 100 letters won't amount to diddly squat.

You want to have an impact....write the people that sponsor the show and tell them you are boycotting their products....that has proven to be far more effective.

Back